Asmph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How encouraging! I'm actually still thinking and deciding.. hard.. where to enroll.. do you mind sending me some of the information (PM me) you've "uncovered" about our other choice?

Also, I am researching hard, looking for answers on the CA board approval thing.. I'm about to ask St. Luke's when they gained CA approval, then ask specifically "Are the graduates in years before that approval eligible for CA licensure"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, thanks! Are you here in PI yet?! If you are, AMSA is hosting the NMSC (National Medical Students' Conference) at the end of this month (March) at Ust.. if you're here it would be great if you could attend. We're also having elections then and I'm running for a national officer position in Public Health..

As for the schools, I'm still somewhat undecided but actually leaning towards ASMPH.. I like what they're about and above all, when speaking to their students, I like their resolve and sense of duty to the Filipino ppl.. Of course, UE is also great, but they're more of the traditional type of school you'll find here, whereas ASMPH implements many (proven) novel educational ideas, and the school/area is very conducive for studying.

Last edited:
Hi! Would like to clarify if ASMPH does in fact conduct summer classes? I initially thought that the only summer class we have to take is the Transsum for incoming YL5 students. I was also asked during my interview if I was willing to give up my summer vacation for med school (I said I was) but I thought the doctor was talking about the transition program.
However, I heard that ASMPH holds summer classes even after YL5, YL6, etc. Is this true? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the Asmph lingo yet, but is YL "Year-level"? But what I've heard is that yes, there are terms during the summer.. Can any current students comment on the "spiral learning" utilized in Asmph? Also, it seems like there is a lot to do as a first year student, and that we are encouraged to participate in EC activities.. I'm just wondering how much time these activities take?

I don't want to spend too much time on "class projects" or anything like that, I'd rather focus on studying.. not that I'm anti-social or anything, I just want to know there's time flexibility to cater to different study habits.. there's a lot of material in med school.

According here (https://www.flrules....p?ID=64B8-4.018) = International Medical Graduates; Qualification Requirements.

The 4th yr medschool / clerkship should be obtained from a hospital in the US accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
So that means, if I enroll in ASMPH, I can't do clerkship in the US.
I CAN take the USMLE kasi nasa list (IMED yata) ang ASMPH.
Pero I can't have a license to practice in the US because of their other requirements.

Sa UERM they have accredited hospitals in the US (Mt. Sinai yata yung isa). I read in another post that he was allowed by UERM to do the whole clerkship abroad.
Iba't ibang hospitals sya nag rotate for surgery, etc. So ayun.

Other requirement in the US is the VISA of course. Parang they need to make sure that you can stay in the US for a long time, So parang immigrant ang dating (J1 VISA yata)

So ngayon if the goal is to have a greater chance of obtaining a US license, UERM is the choice.

Hays.

Tapos mukhang mas mahirap pa yata kapag pure pinoy ka vs FilAms.

(this was also posted in the pinoyMD as well)

According here (https://www.flrules....p?ID=64B8-4.018) = International Medical Graduates; Qualification Requirements.

The 4th yr medschool / clerkship should be obtained from a hospital in the US accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
So that means, if I enroll in ASMPH, I can't do clerkship in the US.
I CAN take the USMLE kasi nasa list (IMED yata) ang ASMPH.
Pero I can't have a license to practice in the US because of their other requirements.

Sa UERM they have accredited hospitals in the US (Mt. Sinai yata yung isa). I read in another post that he was allowed by UERM to do the whole clerkship abroad.
Iba't ibang hospitals sya nag rotate for surgery, etc. So ayun.

Other requirement in the US is the VISA of course. Parang they need to make sure that you can stay in the US for a long time, So parang immigrant ang dating (J1 VISA yata)

So ngayon if the goal is to have a greater chance of obtaining a US license, UERM is the choice.

Hays.

Tapos mukhang mas mahirap pa yata kapag pure pinoy ka vs FilAms.

(this was also posted in the pinoyMD as well)

I looked at the link you gave and read the qualification req's for IMG's. These are the requirements for LICENSURE (not rotations or residency training) in the state of Florida.. copy/pasted here:

64B8-4.018 International Medical Graduates; Qualification Requirements.
(1) Before any graduate of a medical school not accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, except a graduate of an accredited school in Canada, is admitted to take the written licensure examination or be licensed by endorsement, he or she must demonstrate that the core clerkships received in the United States as a part of the curriculum of the medical school was obtained either in a hospital affiliated with a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and the affiliation includes the provision of core clerkship training for that medical school in the relevant subject area or in a hospital which had, at the time the clerkship training was obtained (part you are referring to), a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education in the specialty area in which the clinical training was being obtained.

(2) For purposes of this rule, the term “core clerkships� means core rotations in medicine, surgery, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics. Each clerkship must be equivalent in duration and substance to the core clerkships offered by the medical school to its regular students.

(3) An applicant to whom the provisions of subsection (1) would otherwise be applicable may be admitted to take the written licensure examination or be licensed by endorsement if he or she demonstrates one of the following:

(a) That, after receipt of the medical degree, he or she obtained core clerkship training in the United States in the specific areas of core rotations which had not met the requirements of subsection (1), which training was obtained either in a hospital affiliated with a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and the affiliation included the provision of core clerkship training for that medical school in the relevant subject specialty area or in a hospital which had, at the time the clerkship training was obtained, a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education in the specialty area in which the clinical training was being obtained.

- or -

(b) That, after receipt of the medical degree, he or she returned to the school which granted the medical degree and obtained core clerkship training IN THE COUNTRY in which the school is PHYSICALLY LOCATED :laugh: and in the specific subject area or areas of core rotation or rotations which had not met the requirements of subsection (1), which training would have been acceptable to the Board if it had been included as a integral part of the undergraduate medical education.

- or -

(c) That the applicant has successfully completed one year of approved residency training in the exact subject area or areas for which the core clerkship or clerkships had not met the requirements of subsection (1). For purposes of this provision, the one year of residency training relied upon for eligibility herein shall be completed in addition to the internship required by Section 458.311(1)(f)3.c., F.S.

- or -

(d) That the applicant has successfully completed three progressive years of approved residency training, (PGY I, II, and III) :oops: in one specialty area.

So in actuality, if you read the rest of the document, you have quite a few options =)
Yes, you CANNOT get LCME associated rotations through ASMPH, but.. you can:

a) get clerkship after you graduate, in an LCME hospital in the states (probably very hard)

b) STAY in PI and DO YOUR ROTATIONS HERE, IN MEDICAL CITY(and other affiliated hospitals) :oops: (I'll verify this with TMC Administration asap)

c) Finish school here in PI, then apply for residency in the states and COMPLETE 3 yrs. RESIDENCY there, as we ARE eligible to apply to these as long as USMLE step tests completed, -of course, we have better chances with US Clinical experience, that's why we do ELECTIVE ROTATIONS there (they're like 2 weeks in length normally) to obtain US attending LORs (which helps in getting a US residency)..

disclaimer for c): Many residencies in the US are starting to require LCME rotations PRIOR to applying for residency =/

"So ngayon if the goal is to have a greater chance of obtaining a US license, UERM is the choice." - you are absolutely right.. BUT.. even from UE with those rotations, you are not eligible for licensure since you still have to do a US RESIDENCY.. there are no "GP's" in the states, one must at least complete a US Internal or Family med residency..

... My whole point is.. you are discouraged about not being able to be LICENSED in Florida with simply just an education from ASMPH.. but you can do any of "a - c" that I posted above, in which (option b) I think would already be done during years in ASMPH.. But of course (option c) would be the one that will get you licensed, since any residency outside of the US is not acceptable for licensure there (you MUST complete a US RESIDENCY to get LICENSED anywhere in the US)

Coming from ASMPH, nothing is stopping you from trying for a US residency, or even trying to do LCME rotations (there are agencies for this).. Licensing is the END GOAL, don't expect to be eligible for it right after graduation as an IMG.

Last edited:
But to keep it real also.. Yes, obtaining these core LCME rotations would be easier through UERM.. but also consider the quality your medical education over the next 4-5 years.. The affiliated hospital rotations through UE, I've heard, are pretty chill- but are in very Ghetto areas, and are not quite good quality rotation experiences.. but they ARE LCME rotations, which is what matters most..

Whereas here in PI, Medical City is not a bad place to be, and the other affiliated Manila hospitals (Like Qiurino) are good places with many challenges / patients.. and per my previous post, are acceptable for core rotations since they are done here in PI (the country where ASMPH is "Physically located" haha)

SO from what I can see.. aside from the immediate convenience (well not too immediate, we are talking about years here, lol) of easy access to LCME rotations, if both were equal, I'd pick ASMPH.. and what I believe: I'd be more satisfied 20 years from now, as a physician, coming from ASMPH rather than UE (not that there's anything wrong with UE), because of simply what ASMPH is about and the kinds of physicians it aims to produce.. I just have a feeling that there will be more open doors in the long run, especially if I plan on practicing in PI at all in the future (which I hope to do in addition to the U.S., since my mother will be retiring and moving here).

I'm a Fil-am, btw, and my main and primary goal is to get into a U.S. residency.. but I do recognize the opportunities there are for me here in PI, both in being able to help the Filipino people AND finance wise.

Please excuse the triple post, but here's some helpful info from Pinoy.MD..

"Long exams are given at the end of every module which is usually every other week. Some modules will or will not have quizzes in between depending on the module coordinator. Just remember that the less components a module have, the more weight will be placed on the long exam so failing might mean taking removals.

Also for the record, Trans Sum is the only real time that there will be classes/lectures/workshops/seminars for students. YL5-7 students do get their Sem break, Christmas break and summer vacation." =)

In short, going to ASMPH, since its a 5yr straight program, would greatly lessen my chance of having a residency in the US because after we graduate:
1. we have no clerkship experience in the US / LCME rotation conducted during 4th yr.
2. after graduation, we still cannot get a 1yr LCME rotation because we do not have a student malpractice insurance since we are already graduates.
3. residency trainings require 1yr LCME rotation/clerkship from the same hospital where you want to conduct your residency.

A better formula should be:

1st to 3rd yr medschool (PI) + 1yr LCME rotation (US) = good chance of US residency training (UERM allows this set-up, i think)
After graduation, we can take the PI boards and USMLE
After passing the steps of USMLE (syempre nasa US ka na nun kasi parang yung 2-3 steps of USMLE must be conducted in the US), you can now apply for a US residency sa kung saan ka nagkaroon ng LCME rotation.

Please correct my understanding of things.

In short, going to ASMPH, since its a 5yr straight program, would greatly lessen my chance of having a residency in the US because after we graduate:
1. we have no clerkship experience in the US / LCME rotation conducted during 4th yr.
2. after graduation, we still cannot get a 1yr LCME rotation because we do not have a student malpractice insurance since we are already graduates.
3. residency trainings require 1yr LCME rotation/clerkship from the same hospital where you want to conduct your residency.

A better formula should be:

1st to 3rd yr medschool (PI) + 1yr LCME rotation (US) = good chance of US residency training (UERM allows this set-up, i think)
After graduation, we can take the PI boards and USMLE
After passing the steps of USMLE (syempre nasa US ka na nun kasi parang yung 2-3 steps of USMLE must be conducted in the US), you can now apply for a US residency sa kung saan ka nagkaroon ng LCME rotation.

Please correct my understanding of things.

1. - true
2. - kind of same as #1, but remember, our clerkship in PI counts, as per my previous post, but the whole point of USCE is to get the US attending LOR.
3. - false.. US residency does NOT require this, but there are some that do have some kind of minimum amt. weeks of USCE requirements

and yes, that is a "better formula", but another misunderstanding you have - you don't have to take the PI boards AND MLE at the same time.. in fact you can take Step 1 anytime after 2nd year (which is ideal, since many LCME rotations REQUIRE a Step 1 score to even apply).. so actually the "most ideal" would be to take the Step 1 right before start of 3rd year if UE (well for ASMPH since it is a 5 year course, right before 4th year) to be eligible to apply for the LCME rotations..

About the "affiliated hospitals" at UE.. it's easier to do these (less paperwork etc..), BUT most med students I know who actually do the Step 1 right after 2nd year here in PI do NOT use these affiliations, instead they go to better places, like a girl from Fatima I know is doing rotations at UCSD (my alma mater) and another guy from India I know did some at Yale (these are not affiliated hospitals).. So in short, with permission from the school you're attending, you can pursue some US elective rotations and even some core rotations at hospitals you choose to apply to (check eligibility)

Another thing I noticed while school hunting: UST says that they allow for 2 weeks rotation only, but when I went there in person, they said they allow for up to 3 months if I want.. with that said, there is a new policy (according to Rodszilla in UE thread) that the CHED is voting on a new policy which limits all abroad rotations for PI med students to 3 months max starting with all entering 2012 classes.. if this is true, then all the PI schools are on an even playing field when it comes to rotations.. and I have reason to believe that ASMPH would allow for at least 1 US elective rotation (if not 3 months).. also, potentially related, the ADMU is already affiliated with many universities around the world, including the University of California system.

i asked a friend of mine regarding summer classes. there wont be any after YL5 and YL6. there will be an MBA internship before YL6 but it only starts around end of may. same thing before YL7. looks like there will also be a one month break after YL7 and YL8 before the start of clerkship and internship. found this academic calendar online :) http://asmphscinfo.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/academic-calendar-sy-2011-2012-ver-august-4-2011.pdf

Really cool ^_^ thanks this clarifies many things..

Like how people think the MBA stuff really interferes and "competes" with the clinical med stuff.. not so. With things like the "accounting boot camp" and "MBA weeks" which are separated weeks.. and not dispersed throughout the medical curriculum, it's do-able, fun and even welcome in my opinion.. It's nice to do something non-clinical every once in awhile, gets the head working in a different way.. and perhaps the product from ASMPH might be somewhat of a more balanced person / doctor =)

Last edited:
Looks like ASMPH is gaining "pogi points" ah.. hmmm

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like ASMPH is gaining "pogi points" ah.. hmmm

Yes it is, and I have high hopes for more "pogi points" this coming August, lol =)

Visited the school lately and met more of the students, just reinforced my choice!
-also look at their curriculum (above link), and the level of practicality and professionalism their student body works with the admin (from their minutes, online)

btw.. the confirmation instructions are up on the site now!!

How about you Imesina? Have you confirmed your slot?

i got even more excited when i read the guidelines! haha! :) too bad i still have to worry about taking some pre-requisites this summer

Do you know a good place to stay near ASMPH???

im looking for a place as well. i dont think there are any that are walking distance. i plan on checking out the ortigas and eastwood areas

Cityland Condominiums (just like in the FAQ haha) is priced okay, and walking distance in my opinion (10-15 min walk), or basically one jeepney ride, Rosario jeep, away. It's located on Ortigas going towards Medical City, on the right just past Robinson's Galleria. Also, there is the "Grand Emerald", also owned by CItyland, on the same block. Both nice places, with Laundry, restaurants, coffee shops, stores, dental offices, massage parlors and hair salons within the building!

P.S. If you go UE, Mezza is pretty much the best choice.

great! i'll make sure to check those out. its good we have trans sum so we can ask around more

UP's list for class of 2017 is out. 160 or so people. I counted and saw that there are 10 ppl accepted that were also accepted for ASMPH. I've met 2 people so far accepted to both but opted for ASMPH (They did undergrad at ADMU).. UST is a different story, they accept.. 500 or so people.. so I think that's where a big chunk of Ateneo's accepted pool might go, I know a few who said they're waiting for it.

ASMPH is having their first boards this August.. whether they do exemplary or just okay, one thing is for sure.. the school is headed upwards, and I can only just imagine 20 years (or even 10) from now, when a choice between ASMPH v.s. ??? is not even a question.. This is why I hardly have insecurities or reservations entering the school at this point.. I just really want to sort out the details regarding future U.S. state accreditations (like I've been mentioning)

From the ASMPH wordpress site:

"Officially, ASMPH welcomes its pioneer babies: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and finally, 2016!"

Just realized, the current entering class of 2017 is no longer part of the "Pioneer batches", good thing? And with the first August boards coming up, I think we're at the cusp of its stabilization and eventual rise

I haven't really decided yet where to enroll... because of the US stuff!

The deadline for both schools, UE and ASMPH are next week already!!!

Most of my friends are telling me to go to the more experienced school.

Kaso hindi naman yata maganda ang facilities doon.... Naguguluhan talaga ako!

I haven't really decided yet where to enroll... because of the US stuff!

The deadline for both schools, UE and ASMPH are next week already!!!

Most of my friends are telling me to go to the more experienced school.

Kaso hindi naman yata maganda ang facilities doon.... Naguguluhan talaga ako!

for me its the opposite. all my friends told me to go to ASMPH. we even made a list of pros and cons. UERM won but we all still decided on ASMPH anyway. haha

go with what your gut tells ya! :)

actually my sit. is similar MDstud.. everyone is telling me to go to ASMPH, even many of my friends currently in med school here

@ Jenn: don't base a decision on how nice buildings are! haha.. but consider the other things like the experience and US clerkships too, ASMPH doesn't have the clerkships, but the experience I think is has quality experience (5 short years of pioneer batches, yet so much accomplished/polished/changed). What other school gives you an "online applicant ID", a schedule as well thought out and organized as this, a plan to shift to electronic examinations, the effective "spiral curriculum", individual mentors for students, clinical exposure from day 1 at Medical City and others..

And while I'm still trying to find the details for the U.S. accreditations, what I've started to realize so far is that since ASMPH is primarily to provide docs for PI, so when it makes CA's list, that approval will apply to ALL the graduates (will verify this), since that's what happened with most other PI schools. CA and other states are strict with med schools that are made from places like the Caribbean, since they are made primarily for Americans who didn't get into med school, while foreign schools whose programs are for its own citizens get automatic respect and consideration.

But also, remember ASMPH is listed in IMED/FAIMER now, so many states are not even a problem (like Nevada, Washington, New Jersey, Arizona).. I'm definitely intending to do U.S. electives.. I'll have to make room for my own U.S. core rotations though since ASMPH does not have affiliations (but then again, students at UE and Fatima already do this, ignoring the affiliations since they could get better places in the U.S. on their own since they took the MLE Step 1, got a high score and applied to places requiring a Step 1 score)

Last edited:
Oic.

@lmesina, you now sure that you are going to enroll at ASMPH? despite the uncertainty of our US stuff?

Oic.

@lmesina, you now sure that you are going to enroll at ASMPH? despite the uncertainty of our US stuff?

97% sure.. I mean, I'm already about to complete paperwork for moving to Ortigas lol.. call it gut feeling or faith even.. but I have confidence that Ateneo's program will be great, and the approval process involved for certain states are different from what Caribbean schools experience.

The only thing negative anyone can ever say about the school is: it's new, not proven, etc..
but from what I see, the students are well selected, the faculty is well qualified, this new entering batch is no longer a "pioneer batch", and 5 years from now, ASMPH will no longer be "new".. and I highly doubt that it will be anything else than great.. "faith" lol.

Add to that, the facilities are excellent, the area is nice, the curriculum is like no other school in PI so well thought out, MD/MBA, Individual mentors, the Ateneo culture with all the workshops/gatherings, students are winning at most med student competitions (Video contest at UP, Dance contest at UST, look on website), lots of attention from faculty and quality training, selective admissions process, not 400-500 students like UE and UST.. (think about this--> the Aug 2011 boards, 8/10 "topnotchers" were from UP, yet they only accept about 160 students per batch.. yet other schools have hundreds more and cannot produce the same results.. highly selective, like ASMPH- and I believe from here on out, will just get even more selective.. up to now, most ADMU grads could only go to UP and others, now many are selecting ASMPH.. think about it.

As for the US accreditations, it's already in IMED/FAIMER, Usmle, no problem. Most states are okay..
-Will ask St. Luke's COM asap if their CA approval applied to all their past grads back to 1994 (their founding).. that should be predicative

Talked with a buddy of mine, now a 3rd year, told him I was leaning towards ASMPH, he got nostalgic and reminisced about when he applied there.. said he wished he picked it and is regretting it.. it's practical to pick another school more established, and going to ASMPH is (was) a huge risk since grads were far away, but for some reason (like MDstud said), even though the "pros" of other schools outweigh ASMPH, we still pick it.. I just have a huge feeling that if I don't, I'll be regretting it 5 years (or even 3) from now..

P.S. just thinking out loud, lol. btw.. tomorrow night I'm going to a UE semester end party (last day of finals tomorrow).. gonna talk to some of my UE friends and try to "tempt myself for UE" since that window is closing.. but yea, 97% ASMPH =)

Last edited:
ASMPH is not yet "well-established", but every medical school starts that way. They are very aware of their "greenhorn status" vis-a-vis UST or UP, and I think they are trying hard to make their first few batches very competitive. Being part of the Ateneo system, I have no reason to doubt that they will eventually gain the same level of acclaim as the older medical schools, though when that happens is still unclear.

The Medical City is a top-notch hospital in terms of facilities (not quite St. Luke's but still great), although I think they have quite a way to go in terms of educating their residents vs other teaching hospitals. I did my internship in TMC back when they were still accepting outsiders, and I felt that some rotations were less meaningful as those I did back in UST while I was a clerk.

Yes, it isn't yet WELL-established.. but I still might pick it ^_^.. Went to the UE party and talked with some friends, here's what I got from one:

"Yeah, I would've gone to Ateneo had I wanted business or political science or humanities. ASMPH is new. They aren't established yet and Ateneo has never been known for health sciences. dunno, UERM's produced so many established doctors and is one of the top 3 medical schools in the country along with UST and UP. Ateneo is just a huge gamble for me. But I haven't been there and I don't have first hand info and research as you. Just that, the science-related courses have never been Ateneo's forte =/"

So this girl was thinking of ASMPH also, and this was her reason to not go.. is it just me or do most PI students choose schools here based solely on reputation, ignoring aspects like curriculum, faculty.. I know history is important but really?!!, "known for this.. known for that.. well known"... -_- smh..

And on the "Ateneo not being known for science thing".. I found this online, offerings of MS's and PhD's in Chem/Bio/Physics..

http://sose.ateneo.edu/system.php?LS=staticpages&id=1314951480456

Seems to me they do have a place in science too.. so what was she talking about?
With this in light, I am now wondering if there could be some sort of collaboration with these graduate schools of science and ASMPH, to provide research opportunities for Ateneo's med students.. I'm guessing the administration is already headed in this direction? Aiming to produce some health science research in the near future?

Thoughts?

Yeah, school reputation is a big thing here. A college degree is practically a must for anyone who wishes to advance professionally, and for every particular field, a premium is given to graduates of the more reputable institutions. Just chalk it up to Philippine culture.

Ateneo's science programs are good. Well, they were good enough to prepare me for UST FMS anyway. The thing with Ateneo is it's core curriculum, composed of several subjects under the School of Humanities. They are a prerquisite to graduation for everyone, even science majors. So Ateneo gets this reputation that they focus more on the humanities than anything else.

@lmesina, were you research on this? I hope you can share it...

Will ask St. Luke's COM asap if their CA approval applied to all their past grads back to 1994 (their founding).. that should be predicative

@bigbote, so you will entroll at UST FMS? How about your batchmates? Are they going to UST as well? or will they enroll at ASMPH? What made you choose UST over ASMPH...

@lmesina, were you research on this? I hope you can share it...

Will ask St. Luke's COM asap if their CA approval applied to all their past grads back to 1994 (their founding).. that should be predicative

@bigbote, so you will entroll at UST FMS? How about your batchmates? Are they going to UST as well? or will they enroll at ASMPH? What made you choose UST over ASMPH...

I will be asking them in person, on Monday.. also, I believe our friend bigbote is a already a Doctor ;) . He just shared his experience doing internship at The Medical City hehe

@jenn401,

I've already graduated from UST-FMS a couple of years back. :)

ASMPH wasn't around yet when I graduated from ADMU, so I didn't have to choose between them.

Both schools have their positives. UST has a 100-year head start, and has thousands of graduates already. It's hard to find a hospital or professional society that is free from UST alumni. If you want to practice in the Philippines, UST is a very good choice.

Where it falters though, is the institution's lack of support for prospective USMLE takers. The way the curriculum is structured, it will be very difficult to take any of the Steps before you graduate. Additionally, you can't usually get more than a couple of weeks of international rotations. As US Clinical experience is very important to get into a residency in the US, you are left with having to find some on your own. I was lucky enough to have a network that helped me immensely.

ASMPH has a nice campus, and is affiliated with a world-class hospital. There is no denying that Ortigas Center is a much friendlier neighborhood than Sampaloc Manila. The MD-MBA is a big plus, since UST doesn't really teach the management/business side of medicine. I'm not too familiar with their curriculum, so I am not sure how involved they are in patient care during their 4th and 5th years. Again, on the downside, they don't have any licensed physicians yet, so their real life performance is still up in the air.

reputation really does play a huge role even up to the time when you're already practicing. i know some people who are very particular about their doctors and they choose only the ones who graduated from certain schools, most especially UP and UST. regarding UE's reputation though, yes its got a good one but i wouldnt say its in the top 3 with those two. truth be told, i didnt even hear about UE medicine until my last year in college so its not THAT well known. if you ask around, many older people (like our parents generation) dont know much about it either because it only started to gain popularity very recently. i think ive also mentioned before that theyre not even in the top 10 performing schools in the board exams. so if your basis is reputation and history, UE doesnt really get too many points anyway.

in my opinion, many people are choosing UE now because 1) they didnt get into UP 2) they dont like UST's traditional method 3) its foreigner/fil-am friendly. UE also takes in more students than the other schools and it helps that their other courses (nursing and PT) are also gaining popularity due to the board exams. many filipinos nowadays only associate the field of science with such courses so they never think of Ateneo when one mentions 'science' because they dont have those 'board-exam' medical field courses

Interesting.. I come from a school that was "#1 in Science" in the U.S. a couple years back, as in Chemical/Physics/Biochemical, engineering etc.. (UCSD). Last year, it garnered over $1 billion in research grant money (among the most in the nation), it has a strong medical school also, but no nursing or PT programs. Nursing and PT being considered as "Science" is very generalizing and strange for me.. but it makes sense since UERM does not have "Hard Science (Chem/Bio/Physics) undergrad courses", yet this girl was able to say it was "stronger in science" than ADMU (Yet ADMU is the one that actually offers real science degree programs).. I know that UERM is expanding its research culture, but the research is mostly Epidemiology based, and not really Physical science based.

Anyway, here's some info for the "MBA-Health" portion of ASMPH's dual-degree curriculum. I was told by my interviewers that it is this particular program that is integrated with the MD training:

http://www.gsb.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=368

Do you guys think we'll be going to the Ateneo Rockwell campus in Makati sometimes for any MBA related business? Cuz that would be Awesome..

Last edited:
I hope I can finally decide where to enroll on Mon...

Hopefully, just like UE, we can have time to read and review for the USMLE.....

Do you know someone who is also a FilAm who will enroll at ASMPH??

Last edited:
@ Jenn, I haven't met too many of those who applied yet, but I've met a few Fil-ams who are currently students. One from UCLA, another from NYU and I've heard that there are others.. the security at ASMPH is tight and they make sure you conduct your business there and leave.. I usually sneak away and bother the students on different floors ; )

For the USMLE study time, I really don't think it matters.. if you're thinking there's more time at UE since their exams are far apart, then I think it's the same more or less with the modular system at ASMPH.. looking at our schedule, we spend practically the whole month of July on the "Cell module".. I'm guessing this is the time to parallel study USMLE material pertaining to everything about "the Cell".. We'll probably be doing the physiology, biochemistry, histology of the cell and if you have MLE review material, can go over these properties in them.. just locate what we're talking about/studying at the time and review it.. might take a little discipline but we'll see when we're there =)

EDIT: From the list of schools on the online applicant module- it seems that there have been applicants from these schools as well:
-Cal State Long Beach (CSULB)
-CSU SM (San Marcos)
-CSU Fullerton
-CSU Northridge
-Northwestern University
-The Ohio State University
-St. Vincent De Paul University
-Stanford University
-Stony Brook University (NY)
-University of California, Berkeley
-University of Delaware
-University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV)
-University of Wisconsin, Madison
-Wisconsin State University
(My school- UCSD - was not on the list until I applied, so I guess I'm the first ^_^.. so many from CA, 3 UC's (the top 3 of 10 UC campuses), and 4 CSU's)
(These are just the U.S. schools.. I saw a few from other Intn'l schools also, from Aus, UK, etc..)

Last edited:
Oh, thats good to know. At least we know that there are several international applicants. I feel that there will only be few of them who'll enroll at ASMPH.

I also noticed the tight security at the school.

Do you think there is a review center who can schedule things for us? hehehe.. =)

Oh, thats good to know. At least we know that there are several international applicants. I feel that there will only be few of them who'll enroll at ASMPH.

I also noticed the tight security at the school.

Do you think there is a review center who can schedule things for us? hehehe.. =)

haha Jenn ur so funny! I think I'll just copy some ppl I know of that killed the MLE here in PI (friend from UE, ~250, friend from Fatima, ~250, but basically, I heard their school performance suffered, and the UE guy supposedly "stayed in his room for a year" LOL).. but seriously though.. I'm excited to get this started.. and yea, I guess much of the foreigners might not choose Asmph, but then again I have a feeling not many of them know what I (and we) know ; )

so you noticed the security huh? I take it you're in Manila now?

What are your chances of getting in if your waitlisted?

What are your chances of getting in if your waitlisted?

I'm not sure.. perhaps good? Assuming much of the 247 accepted goes to UST.. can't see them really picking anything else. UST accepts 500 and I know many are waiting for that.

I'm not sure.. perhaps good? Assuming much of the 247 accepted goes to UST.. can't see them really picking anything else. UST accepts 500 and I know many are waiting for that.

I guess I'll have to wait and find out on April 4. Lol :laugh: I'll take my chance on ASMPH. i just hope there's still a spot for me. Btw, have you already received your letter of admission?

last year they were still able to accommodate everyone on the waiting list so theres a very good chance :D

Yay! That's good to hear. Hope the same happens this year! :D

@lmesina do you mind telling me where you will be moving to in ortigas and how much the rent is? i plan on looking for a place this wednesday :)

@lmesina, where you able to ask them about the CA approval?

@lmesina, where you able to ask them about the CA approval?

@Jenn - Negative! I was at Ortigas ALL DAY!! Paperwork complications (for moving in).. I have everything they need, except I couldn't give the "11 post-dated checks" Since I don't have a checking account in pesos (just a savings acct. through BPI).. so I ran around ADB Ave. and nearby trying to open an account.. RSBC requires at least 35,000 pesos to start one!! And one of the other banks requires 100,000 pesos! I think BDO required 5,000 only, but you still must provide a utility bill or some other proof of your ability to pay bills..

@MDstud: Better get on it, the only two good, affordable places are:

"Grand Emerald" (2 units available as of today, Studio 13k + association fee of 1,680php totaling ~14,680/mo (separate utility bill) and a Bachelor room, very small but nice for 11k, association fee included just pay utility

"Corinthian" - one available but IT'S MINE! :smuggrin: haha
I think there are also a few studio rooms available, I'll update when I see again soon..

-Have a checking account in PHP!
-Have post dated checks ready just in case!
-Usually, they require 2months deposit + 1month advance to move in..
-2 ID's, passport, payments, postdated checks, some kind of bill you paid..
-have all these ready!!

@Jenn again: I think i'll just call St. Lukes tomorrow since I'll be busy again, but will post when I find out =)

btw.. had a chance to finally see the city area.. so NICE. There are many restaurants, park with statues/murals, clean streets, saw like 3 starbux and 1 Coffeebean in one street.. students studying in them, I was pleased with it, very conducive for learning.

Last edited: