Asmph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I'll have to wait and find out on April 4. Lol :laugh: I'll take my chance on ASMPH. i just hope there's still a spot for me. Btw, have you already received your letter of admission?

:thumbup:

no letter yet, just name on the list, which is enough for me :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

The letter is on the online application of ASMPH website.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is your rent at Corinthian?
Is that 1bedroom?

thank you! are those just one ride away from ASMPH? i'll make sure to check those out. im thinking of finding a roommate during transsum and getting a 2br unit :)

How much is your rent at Corinthian?
Is that 1bedroom?

The studio I'm looking at is 12,000PHP, association fees included. The utilities are paid separately and I'm guessing them to be in the range of 1,500-3,000PHP depending on use of AC, fridge, etc..

@MDstud: Yes, Corinthian as well as all the condos in that area are 1 jeep ride away.. which takes about 7-12 minutes. I timed this from the moment I step into the elevator on the 21st floor, to catching a jeep right out in front of the Corinthian (It's right on Ortigas), to walking to class. I also timed walking to school, from my room to the classroom ~18 minutes.

ALso just want to say.. I'm starting to feel more satisfied and even elated knowing that we are doing an MBA in health in addition to our studies in medicine.. did you guys take a look at the course descriptions in the AGSB page for the MBA-H curriculum? From the descriptions, I believe the stuff we'll learn is invaluable as physicians =)

Last edited:
Don't just believe others about schools they have not even looked into. When I was in high school many of those students strong in the hard sciences like Physics or Computer Science (they are one of the best in these fields) went to Ateneo (and I came from a science high school). UP might have an edge in biological sciences (due to their strong research and MBB program) but you just need a good biology background for Med school unless you want to be a scientist.
I believe ASMPH will be one of the best it's just a matter of time before it will be in the list in CA.

One of the good things about UERM is the strong alumni establishment in the United States. I'm not sure about ASMPH though. How new is ASMPH anyways?

One of the good things about UERM is the strong alumni establishment in the United States. I'm not sure about ASMPH though. How new is ASMPH anyways?

their first batch of students are just about to graduate.
while there may not be many ASMPH graduates yet, theres a wide network of ADMU graduates who may be willing to help for now. Ateneans are all about school pride. haha :D

So you guys confirming later on today or tomorrow? Planning on being there early.. to ask questions too.

@ Tantrum - Sup doc

okay, it's 12:30pm now, I wasn't early and I'm #50 and they're only on #30.. might be here well into the afternoon.. any of you guys here? A bunch of ppl here came from ADMU, with their big canisters holding their diplomas..

yeah i saw a lot of ADMU grads. about half of the people there. saw about 5 people with UP diplomas, and 1 from CEU. highest number i saw that an applicant was carrying around was #65 as of 1:30pm so im guessing around 70 people were able to confirm today. if you havent confirmed yet you better go early tomorrow. i got there a little after 11 and only finished at around 2

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I made the right decision. See you around.

I hope ASMPH train us well and mold us to be the best doctors.

****For anyone accepted, interested, or considering ASMPH, please REALIZE that the PRE-REQS of Mol.Bio, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Physics are a MUST for being a truly effective Physician of TODAY.

Please know that ASMPH is doing the smart thing and is truly being a leader for medical education in the Philippines. Bear in mind (if you didn't know already) that the majority of U.S. medical students have taken these classes, and many are now involved in undergraduate SCIENCE research (REAL science as in like Biochemistry and molecular Physiology, not like here in PI where ppl actually consider PT and Nursing as "science" programs.. they are respectable career fields but are not science based in the objective sense) to enhance their candidacies for med school.

in the U.S., it is required for ALL students, despite their major to have taken:
-1 year Bio
-1 year Gen. Chem
-1 year Organic Chem.
-1 year Physics

These requirements can not be waived in most cases.

-also, the AMA and AAMC is starting to require all doctors including IMG's, to have at least 90 semester units of these premed classes. So if you're a doctor from abroad and you didn't take these in undergrad, then you are $hit out of Luck (SOL), you can't get licensed in the U.S. (if that's what you want). No offense intended for those great docs from UST, FEU and other greats, but fact is, if you want to go work in the U.S. you're also SOL if you haven't taken these classes. ASMPH has their students well prepared and taken care of. Think about it, and don't fail to realize that in the U.S.. Nursing degrees and other "Health Science" degrees are NOT ACCEPTABLE as premed courses.

Last edited:
There's a reason why science is so entwined with medicine, and the way PI schools pick and choose their student doctors has to evolve.. it's not right for a 3rd year med student to not know basic biochemical metabolic pathways.. just barely passing biochem back in first year med. How is he/she gonna accurately/effectively diagnose things like glycogen storage diseases? By pure symptoms and following some sort of "protocol"? What kind of doc is that?

So ayun. It's my humble opinion that Nursing/PT/other "health science" programs are somewhat inadequate, and at some levels irrelevant for student doctor selection.

"But docs must be great at Emergency med, delivering babies, and everything!!!"

Every job has their own job descriptions, and yes, doctors must know these things too, but their primary job is to THINK through these cases and accurately come up with a game plan based on sound medical science. There are nurses, Emergency medical technicians, Paramedics, Midwives whose primary job is to do these aforementioned things very accurately and efficiently, they've done them thousands of times.

In the United States, the medical field takes science, real science very seriously. UCSD is one of the top medical research institutions.. in the world. It is the a leader in most all fields in science research and has a very reputable Medical school, but no nursing or PT programs or allied health for now. In fact, UCSD does not offer an anatomy course to its undergrads, since anatomy is taught in its med school. Undergrads that want this exposure take anatomy at a local community colleges. Very seldom will you find a med student who did nursing as an undergrad.. the few that are, earned a BSN, worked as an RN for a number of years, went BACK TO SCHOOL TO DO THE MED SCHOOL PREREQUISITES, took the MCAT, then applied to med school, got in, and are now learning medicine as med students..

Just appreciate that ASMPH is requiring these subjects.. they're truly honing modern and practical physicians for the future.

**I originally composed these two replies in response to students complaining in Pinoy.MD.. about having to take science prereq's.. some of whom chose/will choose other schools over ASMPH simply because they don't want to do the pre-reqs, or question the relevance of these pre-reqs..

Last edited:
my undergrad is one of those allied medical courses and its kind of coming off like youre belittling us.

we may not have taken biochem as a focus subject but we do learn about the basics which are integrated into our other major subjects. every pre-med course has its own strengths and weaknesses, theres no need to categorize them into "real sciences" or "inadequate health sciences". you would excel in biochem, your PT classmate would excel in anatomy and physiology, your Pharm classmate would excel in pharmacy, Med Techs would excel in microbiology and so on. so we're basically all on equal footing upon entering med school. i dont think theres a perfect or "right" pre-med course.

i do understand and i agree with you about how studying these core subjects before med school is important and very helpful, but not having done so doesnt make you "inadequate". other med schools dont require it and theyve managed to produce great doctors.

That's true, PT would excel in anatomy and other allied health sciences would excel in the subjects their programs emphasized.. but I did not mean to belittle any of the allied health jobs. I'm just pointing out that I believe the right way for PI med education to evolve is adhere more towards the objective hard sciences.

Yes, there isn't a "right way" or perfect premed course, but there are more relevant premed courses. I do know of med students who did nursing for their premed, excelled in anatomy but also in Biochem, histo and basically "top-notched" all the subjects as well.. but I will also say that his kind are the exception and not the rule.

I'll also add that as of now (in the present), the way PI med education does things does match the country's needs.. there really aren't enough midwives to go around, high mother/baby mortality rates in Manila, with significantly higher rates in the provincial areas, and docs should be stronger with their applied allied health skills here..

but looking to a brighter future where the doctor's role IS more distinguished from its health team counterparts (probably in a more economically prominent Philippines), then the overhaul in premed requirements SHOULD be considered.

There are great PI docs now, but you can not reason or rule out that these courses are not necessary just because these doctors are successful.. nor can you say that having stronger science backgrounds would make no difference in their performance. I get that medicine is doable from allied health backgrounds, but its complete relevance is questionable to me. Sorry don't mean to offend you, fellow classmate, but that's my opinion =)

P.S. there are a defined set of "hard sciences", meaning very objective in nature (Physics, Bio, Chem), and there are "soft sciences" bordering on the metaphysical (Psychology).. but "health science" is a subjective term, it existing prominently in the Philippines, and nearly not at all in the U.S.. but "science" is part of the course work required for Nursing and other allied health courses, but it is not the Focus.. rather; skills and familiarity with a certain job is the focus (i.e. Nursing=patient care, Pharm= Pt. drug prescribing/safety, etc..).. while the "hard sciences" IS THE MAIN FOCUS of the basic medical sciences when studying medicine, and is directly used when reasoning out diagnosis and thinking through a disease process/ pathology.

Last edited:
im not saying theyre not necessary, im just saying that not taking these subjects (biochem/celmol) does not make one inadequate either.

and like you said, some nurses become really successful in med school but some dont. i can say the same for students who took up "real science" degrees. and i beg to differ about how "real sciences" are more relevant to med than health sciences. they study human conditions, treatments and interventions, they go through patient interaction and get to work with other disciplines and so on. how much more relevant can you get?

i dont think the inefficiency of the Philippine health system lies largely on what Filipino doctors study before med school. blame that on the government, overpopulation, health workers opting to work abroad, etc.

*"health science" basically refers to health occupations that can be found as a member of a medical team. obviously you dont know much about what we study in these courses just as im sure i dont know what you study in your course and other courses similar to it. nurses dont just study about patient care and pharmacists dont just study about giving out drugs. i assure you that we've studied pathology and medical reasoning. a nurse cant practice patient care without knowing about the patient's condition. a PT cant properly manage a patient without knowing the pathology.

Last edited:
They are all relevant, but at different levels, and in different economic conditions.. this may sound "counter-ideal" to what a "good physician" should be, but in more prominent economies, physicians tend to be more distant from their patients, but MORE effective at diagnosing accurately and better at their jobs.. as Physicians.. this is not a good thing but it is a fact in economically better-off countries (and there are measures being taken to bring back patient contact/care principals to med students).

I did say that as it stands now, It's okay for this selection criteria in the Philippines, where there is a shortage of midwives and other health services, such that it necessitates that physicians be able to pick up the load to adequately serve the Filipino people. But I do believe in an economically better-off future Philippines, the lines between the job responsibilities of Physicians vs their allied health counterparts will be more defined, and should be.

On another Note; --> I can't seem to log into the Student Access Module.. can you guys? maybe they have my bday wrong or something, coz my pw and username are correct..

Last edited:
how about we just agree to disagree? hehe

but can i just add that yes there should be better outlining of job descriptions for the benefit of the allied professions. as of now, they, or should i say we, really dont get as much credit as we deserve. many people still dont know what a med tech or what a PT is, and many people are only impressed with nurses who leave and earn a lot of money abroad. its also very discouraging seeing doctors themselves not treating these professions with respect, which is also a reason why many of us want to leave the country, hence the shortage. i dont know how we got to this topic but uh... whatever. hehe

i cant access the student module either. maybe they havent activated them yet?

Yea, I called Ms. De Vera today, and she said it should work.. had her verify my bday and it was correct.. clicked on "forgot my password" and saw in the sent email to me that my pw was correct... so that leaves.. the USERNAME!!!

In my receipt, it says our Student ID #'s begin with "MD12-..." but I don't know.. hmm... guess they aren't activated yet?

tried different passwords and usernames. a message in red only comes up when one of the fields is wrong though so what ive been entering all along are probably correct. they've probably been busy with confirmation. hopefully it will be up and running by tomorrow afternoon. do you have any idea how many have confirmed?

No idea.. I think most ppl who intend to confirm would've came the first day, so maybe less than yesterday? If there happened to be 70-75 that confirmed yesterday, and the same amount confirmed today, then no one in the wait list would get in.. I think most people on that wait list is hoping to get in.

http://asmphscinfo.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/100-in-august-2012/
Ateneo once again proving how unique it is from the other schools. no other med school has the whole student body getting involved in helping upperclassmen with their preparation for the board exam

:thumbup: :) :thumbup:

I haven't even attended the first Trans sum day, and I'm starting to love this school.
-More news:

Today, March 31, 2012, I attended the National Medical Students' Conference (NMSC) at UP Manila. Delegates from the member chapters of AMSA (UERM, UST, OLFU, WVSU, University of St. La Salle, SLU) were there as well as members from candidate chapters vying for AMSA membership (FEU, PLM, SLCM, University of Perpetual Help), hundreds of med students including Europeans and Americans currently doing rotations at PGH hospital were also in attendance.

There was one girl registered at NMSC, whom I met, from ASMPH.. There is an organization formed in ASMPH in preparation for entering into AMSA, called "Axis", although I don't know what it stands for just yet.. Ateneo med is slowly but surely taking the next and last steps to enter into, and really make their presence known (just like they do in every competition) to the AMSA world..

but this next step is a big one.. the school has to produce research. It's one of the last criteria needed for membership, and I can't til the day ASMPH becomes research capable..
As I mentioned before, anyone think there could be some kind of collaboration with the ADMU Science faculty and ASMPH students? The lab facilities and resources ADMU already has could really be an asset to its med students..
thoughts?

http://asmphscinfo.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/100-in-august-2012/
Ateneo once again proving how unique it is from the other schools. no other med school has the whole student body getting involved in helping upperclassmen with their preparation for the board exam
This is similar to what they do to their law students. They call it"BAR OPS". It's med board ops. it's a good idea but i find "roosters" trying to wake up pioneer batch a funny overkill:laugh:

found that funny as well, having a whole team whose sole purpose is to wake them up. haha. kind of found the "kwentuhan friends" funny too. but i think its all pretty cool. especially the bunking together for 3 months and having other students run your errands for you :D

Have you guys tried logging into the SAM lately? I noticed something.. if you input all the info, "MD12-00##" and rest, it takes you back to the same screen, but with no alert in red letters..

But if you input the wrong info, ex/ MD17-... the screen refreshes but with an alert in red saying "Username and/or PW, bdate does not match!" Maybe nothing is wrong and there just is no info in our accounts yet..

Third week of med school, done.
few things:

-Good, solid program so far. Curriculum is organized by "modules", the first being "Principles and Perspectives" followed by "Cell". Later we will cover all the systems by modules. Modules are the themes in which we take the subjects of Anatomy, biochem, histo, etc.. around.

-Graduating friends from UP and other med schools expressed that they wish they'd gone to Asmph.. interesting. They also updated me that more and more of UP-PGH teaching faculty is coming to Ateneo to teach, and they despise it. They also said their professors were warning them to "make sure to try harder, study harder for boards this year, because Ateneo is taking boards this August". I keep hearing regret from upperclassmen from other schools who decided not to apply to Ateneo because "they don't want to take the risk". Well, success is all I've seen from this school so far, and success is very clear in its future.. sorry for their loss.

But it's true, from what I observe, the Ateneo grads have very comprehensive board test prep, I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch had 100% pass rate (their stated goal) and a few top-notchers

-I've been to every med school in Manila, and nothing comes close, facility wise, location, faculty wise (except UP, but then many of their top prof's teach here also), and student-colleague wise. I couldn't be prouder and more confident to go through school with such an intelligent and capable group of young people.

-They win everything they join! They recently beat UP in a medical debate competition. They also perform outstandingly in dancing, singing, video making competition, etc... This might seem like silly things to a westerner, but med students here take it seriously, and their performance is a strong indicator to how they are as people and as students: Great.

-We are currently the ONLY MD-MBA program in all of Asia. I think there are around 32-35 md/mba programs in the U.S.?

Glad to know you're enjoying it here in ASMPH. It also makes me feel real good that you have a deep appreciation for our school. I haven't heard much feedback from other schools about what they think of ASMPH now so your post is truly good news for me.

It has been two years since I last read/posted in a forum about ASMPH. It's nice that the school's gaining a lot of interest now. :)

Enjoy YL5! Med school can be fun :)

Third week of med school, done.
few things:

-Good, solid program so far. Curriculum is organized by "modules", the first being "Principles and Perspectives" followed by "Cell". Later we will cover all the systems by modules. Modules are the themes in which we take the subjects of Anatomy, biochem, histo, etc.. around.

-Graduating friends from UP and other med schools expressed that they wish they'd gone to Asmph.. interesting. They also updated me that more and more of UP-PGH teaching faculty is coming to Ateneo to teach, and they despise it. They also said their professors were warning them to "make sure to try harder, study harder for boards this year, because Ateneo is taking boards this August". I keep hearing regret from upperclassmen from other schools who decided not to apply to Ateneo because "they don't want to take the risk". Well, success is all I've seen from this school so far, and success is very clear in its future.. sorry for their loss.

But it's true, from what I observe, the Ateneo grads have very comprehensive board test prep, I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch had 100% pass rate (their stated goal) and a few top-notchers

-I've been to every med school in Manila, and nothing comes close, facility wise, location, faculty wise (except UP, but then many of their top prof's teach here also), and student-colleague wise. I couldn't be prouder and more confident to go through school with such an intelligent and capable group of young people.

-They win everything they join! They recently beat UP in a medical debate competition. They also perform outstandingly in dancing, singing, video making competition, etc... This might seem like silly things to a westerner, but med students here take it seriously, and their performance is a strong indicator to how they are as people and as students: Great.

-We are currently the ONLY MD-MBA program in all of Asia. I think there are around 32-35 md/mba programs in the U.S.?
Hey Imesina, I need to know more about that "Modules" system.
I live in Alexandria, Egypt. And it's the only place in Egypt that teaches with this integrated system "Modules" & I think we're not applying it right, regarding the curriculum's books & the time we take to study them & the content of each book, as we're having the worst time studying with this system everybody says is better than the old one. So can I get some more info from you about that? because our college asked me for suggestions to other books we study from or so, to help improve the system Can I have your email or facebook or something ?
Thanks in advance :)