Aspiring Psychiatrist: Double Major Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juwego

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much a fetus when it comes to my journey towards a career in medicine. I am currently earning my associates degree at a community college in psychology and I aspire to be a psychiatrist. I'm planning on transferring to a CSU in 2019, however, I am unsure if I should take on a double major or just add a minor. I'm also wondering what i should choose as either a double major/minor. Can anyone give me experienced advice?

Members don't see this ad.

do psych and bio? or anything you like. it doesn't matter as long as you do well.

this is a common topic on here so you could also search to see what other people have said

Reactions: 1 user
There is an interesting major at UC Berkeley (though it is available at other unis like UCSD, UC Davis...)
It's called Cognitive Science and it includes all kinds of vastly different field in science and social sciences (Psych, Philosophy, linguistics, anthropology etc.).
I guess the main goal of this major is to study how humans think and reason.
It's not Psychology but it's definitely interesting. And virtually, if you major in this, you'd feel as if you are at a buffet lol You'd be able to complete your degree by taking bunch of upperdivisions in different field and subjects. It's multi-disciplinary :)

yo and also @TheBiologist congrats on the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty much a fetus when it comes to my journey towards a career in medicine. I am currently earning my associates degree at a community college in psychology and I aspire to be a psychiatrist. I'm planning on transferring to a CSU in 2019, however, I am unsure if I should take on a double major or just add a minor. I'm also wondering what i should choose as either a double major/minor. Can anyone give me experienced advice?
Do whatever will give you the highest GPA while keeping MCAT prep in mind the entire time. At the end of the day, high GPA + high MCAT is what will reliably get you into medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Just focus on doing well as an undergraduate, even with one major and do well on the MCAT. Keep an open mind, you may change fields of medicine or even change careers altogether.

As for psychiatry or any field of medicine, your real education for your specialty will come in residency. Those wonderful times where you slave away at 80 hours a week for crappy pay while your medical school debt grows. Oh, such wonderful times!

Reactions: 1 user
You probably want to hear ‘psych & bio’, but really it should be ‘interest 1 & interest 2’. Just be sure to fulfill your premed requirements. Hindsight, I never would have majored bio. I wish I had made my concentration in history, and minored bio... I would have been a much happier student. GL

Reactions: 1 users
Neuroscience and philosophy

Neuroscience is a good major if you have that option. When I did it, we had a lot of overlap with bio and psych. But as other people said NO REASON to do a double major. If you're interested in setting yourself up for psych, try to get involved in psych research. Even if you don't get a publication, those contacts weigh more than some BS undergrad degree. Best of luck!

Also, remember that you might change your mind about what exactly you want to do once you get in. The options are endless and it's great to keep an semi-open mind!

Don't double major. It will make it harder to maintain a high GPA and will not give you any benefit in applying to medical school. Pick a major that really interest you, and if you have another interest, take a minor. I really enjoyed English lit and mathematics, so I majored in math and did a minor in Shakespeare. The minor was only a few extra classes, so it didn't make it difficult to maintain a good GPA, and I still got to take some classes in an area I enjoyed.

Reactions: 2 users
Do not double major. If you enjoy Psych then that is the answer. You may earn a bio minor just by working through the prereqs. But dont waste your time chasing minors.