Assign letters even if the committee letter is going to be delayed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pengdori

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to clarify how schools go through the LOR process, please correct me if I'm wrong.
1) If you DON'T assign letters to schools, they won't be able to see who your letter writers are even if they're listed in AMCAS.
2) If you assign all letters to schools, but let's say 1 out of 4 letters is not submitted yet, then they will not mark your application as complete and won't review them.
3) If I assign letters except for committee letters, then it will technically be marked as "complete" and the adcoms will start reviewing my app and won't know that I have a committee letter coming in until I assign it

I currently have 3 individual letters (2 research PIs, 1 science professor) and 1 committee letter from a post-bacc program. I think my committee letter is going to be sent in VERY late based on talking to other students who still haven't had their letters sent in. I submitted a request for the letter probably in June/July.

Would it be more beneficial to assign the letters that I currently have right now (just the individual letters) and add the committee later or assign ALL of them and just hope that the committee letter gets sent in soon? Our post-bacc program is known to have a competitive acceptance rate to medical schools so I'd like to utilize their resources as much as possible (and I paid money for it!). I realize I'm falling a little behind, so I wanted to make sure to have everything down so that I can expedite the process.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

if you only assign the three letters, the eval will go forward and even if the committee arrives, it may not be part of eval. Additionally, if you have 2 PIs and 1 science prof, you may not have the minimum requirements at some school that require at least 2 faculty that taught you in class and/or 1 non science faculty. You need to assign the committee letter, especially if you are a post-bacc.

I appreciate the feedback gonnif! I remember you helped me out last time too haha so I really appreciate it. You're totally on point about the minimum requirements for individual letters. I didn't take any non-science classes during my post bacc program so my hope right now is the committee letter... I'll just assign all letters and pray that it doesn't arrive too late... :'( Thank you again!