Associate dean of admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

custard

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm writing letters of interest and I want to address them to the dean of admissions at each school. However, on the school websites I can only find the name of the associate dean of admissions. Is this the person to write LOI to, or is there someone higher up?

Members don't see this ad.

I would worry about sending one that high up the chain. I think there would be a good chance it would land directly in his recycling bin rather than in your file. Contact the admissions office to see how they would like to handle LOI's.

So I'm writing letters of interest and I want to address them to the dean of admissions at each school. However, on the school websites I can only find the name of the associate dean of admissions. Is this the person to write LoR to, or is there someone higher up?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I had is that, at many schools, the person who presides over admissions is simply called the "associate dean of admissions." I don't think there necessarily exists anyone higher up. The reason why he has the word "associate" in his title might simply be because he's in charge of admissions rather than in charge of the whole medical school.

Also, if you're going ot take ClockworkDoc's advice and contact the admissions office, I'd personally ask them where you should send "additional materials for your file." I'm not sure whether the phrase "letter of interest" is universally understood yet, and in any case it sounds kinda canned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I had is that, at many schools, the person who presides over admissions is simply called the "associate dean of admissions." I don't think there necessarily exists anyone higher up. The reason why he has the word "associate" in his title might simply be because he's in charge of admissions rather than in charge of the whole medical school.

Also, if you're going ot take ClockworkDoc's advice and contact the admissions office, I'd personally ask them where you should send "additional materials for your file." I'm not sure whether the phrase "letter of interest" is universally understood yet, and in any case it sounds kinda canned.
:thumbup:
What he (she?) said. Every place I've been, there seems to be a director of admissions (who runs the admissions office and is not necessarily a doctor) and an associate dean of admissions (who is usually a doctor). I think the associate dean is the "highest up" that actually participates in admitting students. As to who to address your letter, I cannot really say. Some schools gave us little/no contact with the deans and I'd feel weird writing a fairly personal letter to someone I had not met.

Yes, usually the top person in admissions is the Associate Dean of Admissions. That person is addressed as Dean Smith and answers in the chain of command to the Dean. I would assume that mail addressed to the Associate Dean is opened by an administrative assistant and funneled to the appropriate person in the admissions office.

Yes, usually the top person in admissions is the Associate Dean of Admissions. That person is addressed as Dean Smith and answers in the chain of command to the Dean. I would assume that mail addressed to the Associate Dean is opened by an administrative assistant and funneled to the appropriate person in the admissions office.

is it considered a faux pas to send such letters to the assistant dean's email address?

is it considered a faux pas to send such letters to the assistant dean's email address?

Yes - LOI should be sent typed out in my opinion. Anything else like questions, update letters etc could be sent via e-mail.