Asutype technical support?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone might have some suggestions with asutype, which has been a godsend and has made AHLTA somewhat bearable but suddenly it won't insert shortcuts into AHLTA (I'm guessing as a result of some system update). Asutype is an approved application to use with AHLTA but none of my local IT crew want to take any ownership of it and no one has any reason why it won't work with AHLTA this morning (multiple restarts of the programs and the computers).

Hoping an AHLTA poweruser here might have some ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what’s going on with that but since AHLTA typically crashes I’ve gotten to the point where I type all my notes in word and then copy and paste into AHLTA

Reactions: 2 users
AHLTA is like having a family member with severe dementia. You just look forward to the lucid days, and the good days you have with them, even if they happen less and less frequently with time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that's exactly right but in general asutype has helped smooth those dementia days so that we didn't need to put the patient into hospice. . .

At this point a few of my computers in a few of my exam rooms are working so I basically just have a space issue rather than an AHLTA/ asutype issue.

Not sure what’s going on with that but since AHLTA typically crashes I’ve gotten to the point where I type all my notes in word and then copy and paste into AHLTA

Enable the, "Developer", tab in word, and your note-writing world becomes much, much more interesting and optimistic.

Enable the, "Developer", tab in word, and your note-writing world becomes much, much more interesting and optimistic.

Any YouTube videos or similar resources to decrypt this?

Follow this link -- it walks you through how to enable the developer tab.
Show the Developer tab

As far as what all one can do with said enabled developer tab, that's more complicated. I've invested a lot of time learning this stuff, and have only scratched the surface. It has been almost 4 years and I'm still learning.

The benefit, though, is that by using it in combination with ASUTYPE (Although just recently I figured out a way I can create the same sort of functionality within Word itself, thus eliminating entirely the need for ASUTYPE), I can write an entire standard follow-up note in Word in about 45 seconds, then copy/paste it into AHLTA's, "Add Note", function. I save each note in a folder on my H: drive entitled, "FOLLOW UP NOTES", or whatever, using my self-designed naming convention so that each patient on my panel has a, "living note", on my shared drive. When I see them, I load the note in Word, alter as needed depending upon what happened during that encounter, then save the file with the changes before putting into AHLTA. This system does several things: (1) I always have access to the most recent note for every patient both locally and remotely via VPN, since everything is saved to the H: drive. (2) Static information such as diagnosis, allergies, previous medications tried, etc., is already present on the note, thus I have to only spend time on data that has actually changed since the last encounter (2) Negates any issues with AHLTA going down, as I still have access to my most recent encounter notes (3) I can tell you how many patients and every specific patient I have on my panel simply by opening the folder containing all active f/u notes and reviewing folder and file details (4) I can easily tell you the date of the last encounter with every single patient using file details in the archive folder, since windows timestamps the date any file was last modified; meaning, it was last modified when I saw them and saved the changes to the note. (5) This serves as a foundation to get really fancy if desired, using interoffice product functionality that allows extracting or importing data between Word, Excel, and Access.

Look up MS Word document automation and templates to get an idea of what you can do. If there's enough interest, I will even share my note template. Actually, my local IMD people saw my note template and had such a nerdgasm over it, they send a copy to Region. I never heard anything more about it, but I thought it was hilarious there was a perception that I managed to create a much better EHR system using Word and a network drive. For free. In my spare time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure which of us you are replying to but I doubt my pediatric dermatology asutype templates would be all that useful.

I thought it was hilarious there was a perception that I managed to create a much better EHR system using Word and a network drive. For free. In my spare time.

To be fair, you really don't even have to use Word to have a better system than AHLTA; a text editor is a step up from AHLTA!
:)

Hoping someone might have some suggestions with asutype, which has been a godsend and has made AHLTA somewhat bearable but suddenly it won't insert shortcuts into AHLTA (I'm guessing as a result of some system update). Asutype is an approved application to use with AHLTA but none of my local IT crew want to take any ownership of it and no one has any reason why it won't work with AHLTA this morning (multiple restarts of the programs and the computers).

Hoping an AHLTA poweruser here might have some ideas.

Did you ever figure out the issue? Mid day today Asutype stopped working completely (tried in essentris, word, chrome) and nothing. It was awful. I’m just crossing my fingers that it returns to working tomorrow morning.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Mine started working a few days later for no discernable reason. My back-up for a few days was to simple dragon/asutype my notes in email, one after another, then divide them up as add notes in AHLTA. Sucked but it did work.

Has anyone had experience with Genesis and the voice recognition programs? Any better/worse integration?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN