At a turning point; seeking serious advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoyotePass

Almost Pre-med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a rising senior at NYU double majoring in Urban Design and Journalism. I have known now for about 10 months that I want to be a doctor. It is something I have always considered but have only taken the necessary steps to explore this consideration over the last year. I am now fully committed to studying medicine and am trying to find the best way to go about doing so.

I have experience leading a team of student volunteer social workers at Bellevue Hospital. But outside of this I really have no experience with medicine. Also, I have shadowed and observed two doctors, which has really strengthened my determination to become a doctor.

I think my best route is to continue with my double major and graduate this year and then attend a post bacc program next fall. After reading various reviews, discussion boards, and literature I have decided that Goucher would be my best option.

Do I need more hopsital/ medical expererience to gain admission to Goucher? Are there courses I should be looking to take my senior year to help my admission chances?

What else can I do to make myself a more impressive candidate for admission. I have a 1400 SAT and a 3.5 GPA at NYU.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, your doing fine, just finish up with your major, you have enough clinical experience and Goucher would be a great program since its premed/postbac, its geared towards students who didn't take the prereqs and found out a bit later they wanted to go into medicine, my advice to you is keep on running, you'll eventually get where you are :thumbup: (and o by the way, don't post your big shot SAT scores, you sound like an arrogant jerk :thumbup: )

Thank you, I realized too late this is probably the most common post in these sorts of discussion boards. I guess I am just really asking if I have a shot at all at Goucher and what more I can do to make it happen?

As for the SATs, I was going for full disclosure and I figured mine would be base at best among the doctor crowd.

Take Care

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, Goucher might be a bit of a reach for you unless you have some sort of angle. Goucher and Bryn Mawr only take the best of the best so they're extremely selective. Since you're already in NYC you should check out Columbia and the others in the city. Search around and you can find plenty of post bacs....especially in NYC, Philly, and the Boston area.

yeah Columbia has a great program...even an accelerated sequence with a linkage. NYU has a post bac so since you are right there..why not investigate that one. check out the AAMC website for a long list of others in the tri-state area http://services.aamc.org/postbac/