AT/PT for non science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzatsm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just recently graduated with a Bachelors of Business Administration. I'm interested in going back to school to do athletic training or physical therapy. I've been thinking about doing athletic training for a while now, even back when I was still an undergrad. I've only taken a couple science courses during my undergrad which I didn't do great at. My overall GPA is less than a 3.0. I'm trying to figure out what prereqs I need to take for athletic training masters programs and what I should do about making sure where ever I take them that the credits will transfer over. Or would it be best just to apply as a part-time/full-time student at a school with an AT masters program take those necessary classes and then get into the actual program? If you have any tips or advice for what I can do to get into an AT masters program without the required prereqs and low GPA please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I just recently graduated with a Bachelors of Business Administration. I'm interested in going back to school to do athletic training or physical therapy. I've been thinking about doing athletic training for a while now, even back when I was still an undergrad. I've only taken a couple science courses during my undergrad which I didn't do great at. My overall GPA is less than a 3.0. I'm trying to figure out what prereqs I need to take for athletic training masters programs and what I should do about making sure where ever I take them that the credits will transfer over. Or would it be best just to apply as a part-time/full-time student at a school with an AT masters program take those necessary classes and then get into the actual program? If you have any tips or advice for what I can do to get into an AT masters program without the required prereqs and low GPA please let me know. Thanks!

The lowest GPA minimum I have seen for entry level masters AT programs is 2.75. For prereqs, you are definitely going to need anatomy and physiology I and I I that is offered through the biology department. Nutrition, kinesiology, exercise science, statistics, and general psychology can also be prereqs from what I have seen but it depends on the program. Most schools want at least a 3.0 in prereqs courses. Taking prereqs at community colleget should not be an issue. I haven't seen one program that requires them to be taken at a 4 year instituion. Most, if not all, programs are full time because there are required clincal/ internship hours that need to be completed along with the course work.

I am finishing up my undergrad degree in AT and did some research on entry level masters and post professional masters AT programs before deciding to apply to PT school. Let me know if i can be of anymore help.

Sorry if the response isn't coherent. I am typing this on my phone.

Hey guys,

So I science courses during my undergrad which I didn't do great at. My overall GPA is less than a 3.0. masters program take those necessary classes and then get into the actual program? If you have any tips or advice for what I can do to get into an AT masters program without the required prereqs and low GPA please let me know. Thanks!