At what point is a post-bacc or SMP necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nesstastic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't quite seem to find the answer I was looking for on other threads. For background, I'll graduate with ~3.35 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA. White male with pretty good ECs. I'm okay going to pretty much any US med school. With what MCAT would I be fine without a post-bacc or SMP? Or would bringing my cGPA above 3.4 and sGPA above 3.2 drastically improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Those stats are fine for newer DO schools with a 505+ mcat (higher is better obv)

Those stats are fine for newer DO schools with a 505+ mcat (higher is better obv)
Okay thanks! And what about some of the slightly more established ones like RVUCOM, PNWUCOM, WesternU-Lebanon, KYCOM or LMU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks! And what about some of the slightly more established ones like RVUCOM, PNWUCOM, WesternU-Lebanon, KYCOM or LMU?

Probably like 508+. With your gpa though, I'd still apply to newer DO schools even if you do score high on the MCAT.

I couldn't quite seem to find the answer I was looking for on other threads. For background, I'll graduate with ~3.35 cGPA and 3.16 sGPA. White male with pretty good ECs. I'm okay going to pretty much any US med school. With what MCAT would I be fine without a post-bacc or SMP? Or would bringing my cGPA above 3.4 and sGPA above 3.2 drastically improve my chances?
For you, a post bacc or SMP is fine right now. Your sgpa is lethal for MD schools and also for a fair number of DO schools as well.

I gotta agree with @Goro . Unless you have a very strong upward trend I think an SMP would be a good idea. You have no chance for MD with those stats. Your GPAs are gonna hold you back for DO too. I think it's possible you could get into a DO school, but the question is would it be a program you'd rather go to right now, vs taking a year for a SMP and improved chances at more established schools, or MD schools.

If I were you, I'd take the MCAT this spring and apply to SMPs. Having a good MCAT score opens up a lot of doors in the SMP world. If you do take this route, look for SMPs with conditional acceptances (not a lot of those) or programs that have strong linkages to their medical school or other medical schools. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 user