ATC/DPT to MD... am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUSportsMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I've gotten at least a few of you out there to read through this thread as the title is pretty intimidating.. or at least it really is to me and is the subject of the thread.

Basically, I'm a junior enrolled in a six-year dual-degree program in which I will be receiving both my bachelors degree in athletic training and my doctorate in physical therapy. Now that I'm about halfway through and well on my way to successful completion (I'd say there are about 8 of us left out of 20-something to start) I am finding that I still can't quite shake the medical school itch I've always had. It seems like the more I get involved in health care, the more I want to know and the more significant a role I want to assume.

I have begun to consider the possibility of going to medical school when I finally graduate the six-year program. I am pretty much just looking for feedback or opinions from those out there more experienced and who might have a better idea of what this would take, any encouragement, or even discouragement.

Some things that I have considered... I thought about just dropping physical therapy, however, I will not go this route because I really like physical therapy, would be very happy as a physical therapist if that's as far as I get, and most because I have worked so hard to remain in the six-year program. I have considered the massive amount of debt I would be taking on (not that I won't already have six years worth of tuition to worry about) but have rationalized this with just more loans and that where my education takes me will not be hindered by finances. I would also need probably a year to go back and take some pre reqs that my program didn't cover as well as MCATs and the rest of the admissions process.

Any responses greatly appreciated!! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully I've gotten at least a few of you out there to read through this thread as the title is pretty intimidating.. or at least it really is to me and is the subject of the thread.

Basically, I'm a junior enrolled in a six-year dual-degree program in which I will be receiving both my bachelors degree in athletic training and my doctorate in physical therapy. Now that I'm about halfway through and well on my way to successful completion (I'd say there are about 8 of us left out of 20-something to start) I am finding that I still can't quite shake the medical school itch I've always had. It seems like the more I get involved in health care, the more I want to know and the more significant a role I want to assume.

I have begun to consider the possibility of going to medical school when I finally graduate the six-year program. I am pretty much just looking for feedback or opinions from those out there more experienced and who might have a better idea of what this would take, any encouragement, or even discouragement.

Some things that I have considered... I thought about just dropping physical therapy, however, I will not go this route because I really like physical therapy, would be very happy as a physical therapist if that's as far as I get, and most because I have worked so hard to remain in the six-year program. I have considered the massive amount of debt I would be taking on (not that I won't already have six years worth of tuition to worry about) but have rationalized this with just more loans and that where my education takes me will not be hindered by finances. I would also need probably a year to go back and take some pre reqs that my program didn't cover as well as MCATs and the rest of the admissions process.

Any responses greatly appreciated!! Good luck.

I'd surely remain in the PT program and get that degree and credentials. It's always great to have a fallback particularly one you like. I'm sure you're already aware of the premed process so I won't go there. Just be mindful. A lot of people on SDN here appear to believe that fallbacks and happy career alternatives are a negative thing because it doesn't show (to who I don't know) commitment to medicine. :rolleyes: For your program you're probably going to have two courses in physics, two courses in biology, and probably two courses in general chemistry or something similar. When I looked at PT those programs all required that. If that were the case you'd only need organic chem which I'd think you'd be able to do during your program or a summer soon after. Good luck. Cool path. You into orthopedics or PM&R or primary care/sports med? Doing sports ortho or something I could see you having a very successful practice related to that type of thing employing some PTs and ATCs providing you've got a good business mind.