ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I am in need of a few tips to plan my travel to Kirksville for my interview in the upcoming weeks. Biggest challenge I m facing right now is in figuring out how to get to Kirksville from either the Kansas City or St.Louis airport! (Also i wanted to know if there is an advantage in choosing one airport over the other?) I would really appreciate any advice you can offer (especially any money-saving tips, lodging info, etc... i m going totally broke with this ridiculously expensive application process!!)
Thanks in advance 4 any feedback!!



Did you choose to stay with a student? The hotels are really cheap there, but staying with a student is free
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck buddy! Are you already in K-Ville??

No, I go to a school about an hour and change away so the wife and I will drive up tonight. I'm pretty pumped, just been perusing the Interview Feedback section and going over my application. I'll probably make PhysioWife sit down and mock interview me tonight since there won't be much else to do in the hotel.

As an aside, we were looking at houses and I remember how cheap K'ville is. We found out what we could get a mortgage for as first time home buyers and we could get a freakin' mansion in K-town. That alone sold PhysioWife.
 
Hi guys! I am in need of a few tips to plan my travel to Kirksville for my interview in the upcoming weeks. Biggest challenge I m facing right now is in figuring out how to get to Kirksville from either the Kansas City or St.Louis airport! (Also i wanted to know if there is an advantage in choosing one airport over the other?) I would really appreciate any advice you can offer (especially any money-saving tips, lodging info, etc... i m going totally broke with this ridiculously expensive application process!!)
Thanks in advance 4 any feedback!!

I drove in from St. Louis for my interview last friday and the trip wasn't bad at all, even with snow and wrecks all around. They did a pretty good of getting the roads cleared though it took 4 hrs instead of 3 1/2. But the trip from Kansas City is shorter I believe, so pick whichever one you can get a better flight/car rental combo. I also stayed with a student host, which I really really enjoyed. He was awesome, answered questions, gave hints and even took me out to dinner. Not only does staying with a student host really give you insight to "campus" life, but its FREE. Good luck, KCOM is great, I just got my acceptance today so the turn around time is excellent!
 
I drove in from St. Louis for my interview last friday and the trip wasn't bad at all, even with snow and wrecks all around. They did a pretty good of getting the roads cleared though it took 4 hrs instead of 3 1/2. But the trip from Kansas City is shorter I believe, so pick whichever one you can get a better flight/car rental combo. I also stayed with a student host, which I really really enjoyed. He was awesome, answered questions, gave hints and even took me out to dinner. Not only does staying with a student host really give you insight to "campus" life, but its FREE. Good luck, KCOM is great, I just got my acceptance today so the turn around time is excellent!

Thank u so much for the post! (Also to the couple of posts above) Actually I m flying way down frm the south. So I m not at all familiar with the area & was really worried abt driving in unfamiliar territory. But I guess that is the best & cheapest available to me. Also since I have a family member accompanying me, i could not avail the opportunity of staying with a student host. But good to know that u had a great experience overall. Congratulations on ur acceptance. It sure must have lifted a weight off of ur shoulders (especially if is ur first acceptance). I hope there is good news coming my way too sometime soon!!:xf:
 
No, I go to a school about an hour and change away so the wife and I will drive up tonight. I'm pretty pumped, just been perusing the Interview Feedback section and going over my application. I'll probably make PhysioWife sit down and mock interview me tonight since there won't be much else to do in the hotel.

As an aside, we were looking at houses and I remember how cheap K'ville is. We found out what we could get a mortgage for as first time home buyers and we could get a freakin' mansion in K-town. That alone sold PhysioWife.

Hahaha, PhysioWife.

Housing is so cheap. Let me know what you are looking for! One of the OMS II is moving out and looking to sell his place. Could definitely get you guys in touch if you think you might be interested!!
 
Man, I was seriously impressed. KCOM really has their crap together. It probably helps that several of my friends from undergrad were there as student ambassadors and that may bias me, but I had a really good time. I think everything fits nicely with my personal desires for a medical school; additionally, the tight knit community feel was a big seller for us. Great vibes!
 
Man, I was seriously impressed. KCOM really has their crap together. It probably helps that several of my friends from undergrad were there as student ambassadors and that may bias me, but I had a really good time. I think everything fits nicely with my personal desires for a medical school; additionally, the tight knit community feel was a big seller for us. Great vibes!

Dude, I've been checking all day for your response. So glad you liked it! The whole 'really has their crap together' feeling was the same for me. When you visit there you realize they've been around for 118 years and have the muscle to show it. It's a great program ... arguable one of the best in the US, period. I'll be sending good vibes your way and good luck!
 
One week until my interview! So excited. The only thing that I'm concerned about is being able to relay why being a DO would be a good fit for me and I'm not just using it as a back up. Although I did apply to both MD and DO schools, I'm certainly not using the DO route as a back up (applying to a school that determines my career for the rest of my life just doesn't seem like a good back up plan to me. lol). I mean, I know why it's a good fit for me, but I just hope my nerves about talking about the issue don't overshadow my true interest.

Any suggestions about how to calm my nerves about this issue? And was anyone else concerned about this issue b4 their interview?
 
Dude, I've been checking all day for your response. So glad you liked it! The whole 'really has their crap together' feeling was the same for me. When you visit there you realize they've been around for 118 years and have the muscle to show it. It's a great program ... arguable one of the best in the US, period. I'll be sending good vibes your way and good luck!

Thanks, man! It was a great day. When I had a chance to meet up with PhysioWife half way through the day, I could tell she was sold on it. I was pretty well there myself, but just talking to the ambassadors (on and off of the record) they all loved it! I couldn't help but feel that everyone, students and S/Os alike really make it one huge family and that's awesome. I'll be waiting/calling anxiously for some good news.

As an aside, I don't get what the big deal was with the anatomy lab. It looked like every other lab I've ever been in. As a bonus, they opened a bag and gave us a brief overview of life in the anatomy lab. It was a little strange seeing a cadaver for the first time, but after a second or two it became "OOOOOOH, I think I know what that is." or "Wow! I haven't a clue what that is doing there." It was nice to get a taste of the future.
 
One week until my interview! So excited. The only thing that I'm concerned about is being able to relay why being a DO would be a good fit for me and I'm not just using it as a back up. Although I did apply to both MD and DO schools, I'm certainly not using the DO route as a back up (applying to a school that determines my career for the rest of my life just doesn't seem like a good back up plan to me. lol). I mean, I know why it's a good fit for me, but I just hope my nerves about talking about the issue don't overshadow my true interest.

Any suggestions about how to calm my nerves about this issue? And was anyone else concerned about this issue b4 their interview?

The truth shall set you free!

Be upfront with them. When they asked me where I applied, I told them all of the schools that I completed secondaries to, both allo and osteo and told them that they were schools that I thought I could fit in well. Make it clear you want to be a physician but that you prefer osteopathic medicine (if that's the truth) and move on. It didn't seem like a big deal, other than the fact that my interviewer knew a lot of people at a bunch of the programs (both allo and osteo) that I applied to this cycle.

The interviews are typically extremely laid back from what I gather. I didn't have a question that I hadn't seen on the first 5 or so interview feedbacks here on SDN.

Good luck!
 
Thanks, man! It was a great day. When I had a chance to meet up with PhysioWife half way through the day, I could tell she was sold on it. I was pretty well there myself, but just talking to the ambassadors (on and off of the record) they all loved it! I couldn't help but feel that everyone, students and S/Os alike really make it one huge family and that's awesome. I'll be waiting/calling anxiously for some good news.

As an aside, I don't get what the big deal was with the anatomy lab. It looked like every other lab I've ever been in. As a bonus, they opened a bag and gave us a brief overview of life in the anatomy lab. It was a little strange seeing a cadaver for the first time, but after a second or two it became "OOOOOOH, I think I know what that is." or "Wow! I haven't a clue what that is doing there." It was nice to get a taste of the future.

I've ranted about this before ... but their anatomy lab is superior for one reason ... windows. It was the first anatomy lab I went into where I didn't feel like I was in the basement of a secret government building. I really liked how it was up high and you could look out and such. Plus, the way they run their program with only 4 people to a cadaver, doing a service for the families, etc, is just awesome. The way they did anatomy was another huge selling point for me. It just felt like old school, gritty, hands-on learning. I was definitely looking for that.

The day I went, our tour guide showed us his cadaver too. Very cool, humbling experience.

Anyway, glad you liked it again, and good luck! I definitely get the feel/close knit thing you are talking about and it's awesome!!
 
How does KCOM's admissions committee make a decision? I interviewed in December and still haven't heard back and I have noticed that people that interviewed after me have found out they were accepted? Anyone know about this at all? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They told us to call every Thursday after our interview, but that it would likely take 2-3 weeks for a decision to be made. They said a few times that they were behind because of the holiday season. I'd give them a call and see what's up! Good luck!
 
Mailed my deposit in earlier this week...See you guys in August!

Does anyone know when to start looking for housing?
 
Mailed my deposit in earlier this week...See you guys in August!

Does anyone know when to start looking for housing?

Well, I'm looking now, but from what I understand, you'll be able to find something pretty much anytime. If you want to live in the campus housing you have to sign up ASAP though.
 
Plus, the way they run their program with only 4 people to a cadaver, doing a service for the families, etc, is just awesome. The way they did anatomy was another huge selling point for me. It just felt like old school, gritty, hands-on learning. I was definitely looking for that.

Honestly, 4 people is a great number. It allows 2 people to work on each side. The thoracic and abdominal regions won't benefit from this, but pretty much everything else does! Anything that can be dissected bilaterally works well for this system.

As a premed I would have thought less it better, but realistically anything less than 4 would require more work and time.

Congrads to all of you accepted!
 
Last edited:
Mailed my deposit in earlier this week...See you guys in August!

Does anyone know when to start looking for housing?

Hi! I went down to Kirksville over the holiday week and found an apartment. I got mixed reviews on when to start looking (ie. right away or not until March). The last woman I spoke with said to look as soon as you can, so I did. Good luck!
 
Hey everyone - I've cancelled my interview for Feb 11th/withdrawn my app. FYI so someone can snag my spot. Best of luck to you all! 🙂
 
Hi! I went down to Kirksville over the holiday week and found an apartment. I got mixed reviews on when to start looking (ie. right away or not until March). The last woman I spoke with said to look as soon as you can, so I did. Good luck!


I called a week ago and was number 23 on the list for on campus housing. She said usually around 20 open per year, but not everyone on the list still agrees to it.
 
Just letting everyone know, I got my e-mail address from atsu yesterday. Yes, I got goosebumps.
 
Just letting everyone know, I got my e-mail address from atsu yesterday. Yes, I got goosebumps.

It was pretty awesome receiving that email yesterday! It's kind of a bummer that we have to go in through the ATSU system to open our mail accounts. Have you found a way to get direct access into the email portal? I think the letter mentioned this issue, but I am wondering if you figured something out 🙂 Thanks!
 
Hi! I went down to Kirksville over the holiday week and found an apartment. I got mixed reviews on when to start looking (ie. right away or not until March). The last woman I spoke with said to look as soon as you can, so I did. Good luck!


Thanks! I have a dog and noticed that the majority of places don't allow pets. I was beginning to get worried but hopefully I will find something!
 
It was pretty awesome receiving that email yesterday! It's kind of a bummer that we have to go in through the ATSU system to open our mail accounts. Have you found a way to get direct access into the email portal? I think the letter mentioned this issue, but I am wondering if you figured something out 🙂 Thanks!

Added the gmail link to my favorites. It seems to work.
 
I'm applying next cycle, but I have a few questions about KCOM that I hope you all will know the answers to.

Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?

What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?

As a M1 what type of early patient contact/shadowing do we have, is it as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?

Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!
 
I'm applying next cycle, but I have a few questions about KCOM that I hope you all will know the answers to.

Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?

What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?

As a M1 what type of early patient contact/shadowing do we have, is it as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?

Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!

Daily schedule is usually 8-12 with lecture, 12-1 with lunch, then depending upon the day either a few lectures after lunch, or a lab/worshop from 1-3/4.

Test schedule varies, some weeks you have none, and then others you have 1/2. Often you have a Friday then following Monday then Friday exam cycle. A random Wednesday exam from time to time as well. For the most part they are spaced out.

We have standardized patient encounters right away from the get go. We have had three so far since August. There are opportunities with the various clubs on campus to do community service events to get patient contact as well. Also we do "House calls" where we visit an elderly member of the community for a wellness check. The summer after OMS I we also do a two week preceptorship with a physician. There are many opportunities in town as well for shadowing.

Sorry for the ramble but hopefully you get the main points.
 
Thanks! I have a dog and noticed that the majority of places don't allow pets. I was beginning to get worried but hopefully I will find something!


I have a dog too but when I called Heritage House Realty they told me that they do have units that allow pets...quite a few units actually. They were also very friendly. I'm going out there in April to find a place but I've been in contact with realtor since early December.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! Congrat's to all of you who've been accepted! My interview is next friday and I'm starting to geek-out a little. I've heard everyone say they're so layed back but still...I'm nervous. Can anyone comment of the questions? Did anyone bring up the current healthcare events or any other events? I've got two other interviews and I wish KCOM was the last so I'd have the practice 'cause that's where I want to go. Thanks and congratulations again, that HAS TO ROCK.
 
Hey everyone! Congrat's to all of you who've been accepted! My interview is next friday and I'm starting to geek-out a little. I've heard everyone say they're so layed back but still...I'm nervous. Can anyone comment of the questions? Did anyone bring up the current healthcare events or any other events? I've got two other interviews and I wish KCOM was the last so I'd have the practice 'cause that's where I want to go. Thanks and congratulations again, that HAS TO ROCK.

Every question I fielded I found in interview feedback here on SDN.
 
Hey Jagger, I always see you posting on most of the threads and im curious as to how this whole process is treatin ya?

Have you gotten accepted anywhere?

Just curious 😀

ddiaz
 
Hey everyone! Congrat's to all of you who've been accepted! My interview is next friday and I'm starting to geek-out a little. I've heard everyone say they're so layed back but still...I'm nervous. Can anyone comment of the questions? Did anyone bring up the current healthcare events or any other events? I've got two other interviews and I wish KCOM was the last so I'd have the practice 'cause that's where I want to go. Thanks and congratulations again, that HAS TO ROCK.


A lot of the questions are somewhat generic, though it depends on the interviewer. For instance, I interviewed with the director of ATSU learning resources (actually a really fun person to talk to) and he asked me some interesting questions indirectly related to statements in my primary and secondary apps.
 
Last edited:
Hey Jagger, I always see you posting on most of the threads and im curious as to how this whole process is treatin ya?

Have you gotten accepted anywhere?

Just curious 😀

ddiaz

Process treated me well ... was accepted at multiple schools, made a decision, and sent in a deposit.
 
:soexcited:Accepted!!!:soexcited:

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nicely done buddy!!!!

How horrible is the time before your decision on that phone call? My counselor put me on hold for probably 10 seconds to grab my file, and apparently I slipped into an alternate dimension during that time, where 10 seconds was actually 10 years of waiting time!!!!

Awesome. What are your plans (if you don't mind sharing here, PM me if you want) ????
 
I have an interview at AZCOM next month and am debating on whether or not to attend bc of my acceptance at KCOM. I am pretty sold on KCOM (~ 95%) but feel like I should check out AZCOM too.

Has anyone interviewed at both or have any thoughts?

(I posted this in the AZCOM forum also but thought I should get KCOM people's opinion too!)
 
WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nicely done buddy!!!!

How horrible is the time before your decision on that phone call? My counselor put me on hold for probably 10 seconds to grab my file, and apparently I slipped into an alternate dimension during that time, where 10 seconds was actually 10 years of waiting time!!!!

Awesome. What are your plans (if you don't mind sharing here, PM me if you want) ????

Lord, that wait was forever. I called this morning and the AdCom hadn't handed decisions yet, so she offered to call me back later in the day. So I sat for about an hour wondering about my future (or if my file had even been reviewed yet) and it was agonizing. She called back and said "I have some good news for you." I'm pretty sure that was all I heard until she mentioned an award they were offering with my acceptance. Then I pooped myself.

As for now, I'm sending in my deposit and planning on KCOM. I'll attend my other interviews but I had a great feeling about ATSU-KCOM, as did PhysioWife. Since she has to be happy as well, I think KCOM is a great choice.
 
I have an interview at AZCOM next month and am debating on whether or not to attend bc of my acceptance at KCOM. I am pretty sold on KCOM (~ 95%) but feel like I should check out AZCOM too.

Has anyone interviewed at both or have any thoughts?

(I posted this in the AZCOM forum also but thought I should get KCOM people's opinion too!)

I interviewed at both. You can PM me if you want.
 
Can anyone re-post the link to the pdf describing all the rotation regions?

I saw it awhile ago and can't find it now, thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I received an e-mail from KCOM yesterday saying that I have been approved for acceptance pending the availability of a seat and they anticipate seats opening up within the next few weeks. If I'm not offered a seat this year I am guaranteed a seat for August 2011. Has anyone else received this? Is this a waitlist or different? Anyone know any statistics regarding how many on this list get in and how many are on the list? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
So I received an e-mail from KCOM yesterday saying that I have been approved for acceptance pending the availability of a seat and they anticipate seats opening up within the next few weeks. If I'm not offered a seat this year I am guaranteed a seat for August 2011. Has anyone else received this? Is this a waitlist or different? Anyone know any statistics regarding how many on this list get in and how many are on the list? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Man i got the same thing! Im so bummed i wanted to go here so bad... So does anyone know what this means? if a seat were to open up do we get the oppertunity before someone on the waitlist?

Im confused...
 
Hello all. New to SDN. Accepted to KCOM class 2014. Looking forward to get to know those who will be attending in the Fall as well.
 
So I received an e-mail from KCOM yesterday saying that I have been approved for acceptance pending the availability of a seat and they anticipate seats opening up within the next few weeks. If I'm not offered a seat this year I am guaranteed a seat for August 2011. Has anyone else received this? Is this a waitlist or different? Anyone know any statistics regarding how many on this list get in and how many are on the list? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Man i got the same thing! Im so bummed i wanted to go here so bad... So does anyone know what this means? if a seat were to open up do we get the oppertunity before someone on the waitlist?

Im confused...

From my understanding, it means you ARE accepted, but they have already offered 172 seats or so to earlier applicants; therefore, when the people whom they have accepted decides yay or nay (they have about 2 weeks to decide), they will then fill accordingly with people they have accepted contingent on seat availability. If all of the people they have offered seats to accept, then you have a promised seat in their 2015 class.

I believe this is different than the waitlist, b/c I'm pretty sure the people on the waitlist are not promised a seat at all.

Does that make sense? Hopefully it helped.