ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SOMA as compared to KCOM emphasizes more on the committement to the underserved areas in Arizona.
 
Has anyone heard anything about Soma doubling their class size?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm working on my secondary, which I just got this morning (Saturday weird) and they want "unofficial" SAT scores. Wow, I'm really going to have to wrack my brain on that one. I can guesstimate my overall but I totally forget the verbal/math breakdown. I went on the sat website and registered and everything to get my scores but then find out they need my admissions ticket info. What?! So, I can either call the SAT people on Monday with my SSN and pay $12 by credit card OR just guess and put down a not completely accurate number and hope the admissions people don't check or care. Hmmmm....it is quite interesting that a med school asks for SAT info. Definitely the first I've seen.

What did everyone else do?


Had the same problem with LECOM-E's secondary. I called my H.S and they gave me my SAT scores.
 
SOMA as compared to KCOM emphasizes more on the committement to the underserved areas in Arizona.

The underserved areas in 11 communities throughout the country in Community Health Centers. Three of these CHCs are in Arizona (Phoenix-Indian health, Tucson, and Flagstaff). The other 8 range from Hawaii, Brooklyn, Alabama, etc. etc.
 
The underserved areas in 11 communities throughout the country in Community Health Centers. Three of these CHCs are in Arizona (Phoenix-Indian health, Tucson, and Flagstaff). The other 8 range from Hawaii, Brooklyn, Alabama, etc. etc.

How do the CHCs work for the med students? Do you have any say of where you want to live and what CHC you want to work at? Or is everyone at the mercy of the system where the administration chooses for you? What happens if you get stuck with a group you're just not feeling? Because it seems like that decision is huge for determining the rest of your med school experience.
 
How do the CHCs work for the med students? Do you have any say of where you want to live and what CHC you want to work at? Or is everyone at the mercy of the system where the administration chooses for you? What happens if you get stuck with a group you're just not feeling? Because it seems like that decision is huge for determining the rest of your med school experience.

You will have the chance to rank the CHCs when you go for interview. I will suggest not to rank one if you are not willing to go and live there for 3 years.
 
Has anyone heard anything about Soma doubling their class size?

AZCOM, not SOMA is doubling their class size.

As for picking CHCs, I'll add to my colleague's comments in that you will know where you have been placed at the time of your acceptance based on your ranking. There is some room for change once you attend if you have compelling reason.
 
Can anyone tell me how long it took between submitting the secondary and getting an interview invitation?
 
Can anyone tell me how long it took between submitting the secondary and getting an interview invitation?

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. So far, the application process seems to be pretty quick. I submitted my secondary earlier this week and already have received two emails-one was the automatic confirmation that they've received my secondary, and the second email was that the secondary has been completely processed and when I put in my confirmation number on the status page, everything has a date and has been processed. Seems fast to me, but now I just have to play the waiting game for the interview. I'm hoping it will continue to be just as fast!
 
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the extent of volunteer and clinical experience D.O. schools are looking for? Is a history of both necessary for admission or can working in a clinical setting be enough, when someone does not have the resources to spend time in an unpaid position. Also, I am a nutrition/pre-med major and I was wondering if anyone else is taking this route versus biology, chemistry, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get overly excited when they saw the ATSU Admissions "Holiday Greeting" email? I mean that was really sweet and everything that they send out ecards, but sheesh! Don't they realize that those of us still waiting for interview invites are a bit edgy? :scared::laugh:
 
Anyone get overly excited when they saw the ATSU Admissions "Holiday Greeting" email? I mean that was really sweet and everything that they send out ecards, but sheesh! Don't they realize that those of us still waiting for interview invites are a bit edgy? :scared::laugh:

Yes, very sweet, perhaps I'll wrap myself up in a big bow and deliver myself to their doorstep for an interview
 
I got a little giddy at first! It was nice of them to think of us, but I would have liked my interview as the Christmas gift with that card!!:laugh:
 
you got rejected post-secondary? how long did it take to find out after you submitted your secondary?

I was complete 11/26 and rejected on 12.14 (but the letter was dated 12.10)

so 2 weeks. it was really fast, i was shocked..
 
I just got my interview invite and it's my first one!!! Yay! Wow, they are really quick. I submitted my application last Tuesday (12/11) and got the invite today! 😍

Anyway, I had a question for you guys: on your interview form you can put a "guest" down to attend with you. Is that only for spouses/significant-others or is that like for parents too? My parents are interested in going with me but I didn't know if that's like kosher or not. I mean have any of you brought your parents or seen them at interviews? Seems odd...😕
 
I just got my interview invite and it's my first one!!! Yay! Wow, they are really quick. I submitted my application last Tuesday (12/11) and got the invite today! 😍

Anyway, I had a question for you guys: on your interview form you can put a "guest" down to attend with you. Is that only for spouses/significant-others or is that like for parents too? My parents are interested in going with me but I didn't know if that's like kosher or not. I mean have any of you brought your parents or seen them at interviews? Seems odd...😕

Hi DD777. I get to sit with the current interviewees during the interview lunch and have seen 1 other student bring their mother during the interview. I didnt think it seemed odd or anything negative at all, in fact it just shows the parents taking an active interest in the future of their son/daughter. Just make sure they take a back seat to you through the day. Its your show!

Oh, and dont be rude to your parents. This student I mentioned about had one incident during lunch where she seemed frustrated towards her mom. I thought it a bit rude.

Good Luck! From one southern Californian to another, Im sure you will love the school. Oh, another bit of advice, seriously consider which CHCs you will want to go to before your interview--you will find the list on the website. You will get the chance to rank them during interview day. I highly suggest turning it in on your interview day since its first come first serve. And of course, Brooklyn is the best CHC!!😍
 
I just got my interview invite and it's my first one!!! Yay! Wow, they are really quick. I submitted my application last Tuesday (12/11) and got the invite today! 😍

Anyway, I had a question for you guys: on your interview form you can put a "guest" down to attend with you. Is that only for spouses/significant-others or is that like for parents too? My parents are interested in going with me but I didn't know if that's like kosher or not. I mean have any of you brought your parents or seen them at interviews? Seems odd...😕

When I interviewed earlier this month, there were several people with parents/spouses there. My mom went with me but she only stayed for the first two hours or so, the intro/CHC presentation adn then she left. It wasn't odd having her at all! And I got accepted so maybe it was my mom that made the good impression 😉
 
Congrats on the interview by the way. It was really relaxed and everyone was super nice!
 
Congrats on the interview by the way. It was really relaxed and everyone was super nice!

Thanks! It's great to hear that about the interview! I'm hoping it will be somewhat relaxed that way I'm not a nervous wreck :laugh:. I'm so curious about the "group collaborative" part of the interview. What is the question/problem that we get and how do you "collaborate" with the others? I keep imagining there being certain students trying to be the "leader" and pushing people to the side so they get noticed by the adcoms, and then others just standing there following others around quietly...but that's probably way off haha.

Oh, and you and eastwest convinced me to bring my parents, or at least one parent. It sounds like a really great experience and I'd love for them to see the school for themselves. Thanks for the advice you guys!
 
Thanks! It's great to hear that about the interview! I'm hoping it will be somewhat relaxed that way I'm not a nervous wreck :laugh:. I'm so curious about the "group collaborative" part of the interview. What is the question/problem that we get and how do you "collaborate" with the others? I keep imagining there being certain students trying to be the "leader" and pushing people to the side so they get noticed by the adcoms, and then others just standing there following others around quietly...but that's probably way off haha.

Oh, and you and eastwest convinced me to bring my parents, or at least one parent. It sounds like a really great experience and I'd love for them to see the school for themselves. Thanks for the advice you guys!

The group exercise was interesting.There were five of us in my group...the problem was to come up with five important parameters of a honor code in 20 mins. And it was exactly how you desribe...but it happened pretty naturally. There were two in the group who never said a word and three of us who did the talking. I would definitely talk because you are being "watched" by the same person who interviewed you.

SOMA was my first interview as well and I was sooooooo nervous! But the students we ate lunch with were really nice and everyone really made an effort to make you comfortable. 👍
 
When I interviewed earlier this month, there were several people with parents/spouses there. My mom went with me but she only stayed for the first two hours or so, the intro/CHC presentation adn then she left. It wasn't odd having her at all! And I got accepted so maybe it was my mom that made the good impression 😉

texasdo have you decided on SOMA? And what CHC ??

If you have you (and any one else accepted or incoming) should start up an Osteopathic class thread. Congrats on the acceptance.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi DancerDoc! I sent my secondary on 12/11 too. No invite yet... I interviewed last year but didn't make the cut. Any advise from anyone?
 
texasdo have you decided on SOMA? And what CHC ??

If you have you (and any one else accepted or incoming) should start up an Osteopathic class thread. Congrats on the acceptance.👍

I have pretty much decided on SOMA. I have one more interview to go to, and it will really have to blow me away. My CHC is South Carolina, it was my top choice so i am really excited about that!
 
I got an interview here today!! I was quick--I was complete late last week! I am not sure about the CHC's--been looking at the ones in the Arizona area, but HI would be awesome!!! Any thoughts about them??😕
 
Those of you that got interview invitations, what does your secondary application status say on the school website?

thanks!
 
I am not going to the school.. but am just interested in the CHCs.. where can I find a list of those??
 
I have pretty much decided on SOMA. I have one more interview to go to, and it will really have to blow me away. My CHC is South Carolina, it was my top choice so i am really excited about that!


SC would be the one I would want as well, do you rank them when you go to your interview?
 
Those of you that got interview invitations, what does your secondary application status say on the school website?

thanks!

Mine just states the date that the different materials were received.
 
SC would be the one I would want as well, do you rank them when you go to your interview?

Why SC?? I still like the ones in AZ and maybe Seattle. I would love HI but I would be soooo far away from my family. Seattle is far, but Southwest flies there and I have family and friends in that area.
 
Why SC?? I still like the ones in AZ and maybe Seattle. I would love HI but I would be soooo far away from my family. Seattle is far, but Southwest flies there and I have family and friends in that area.


I used to live in Charleston, and am from the south, I am partial to the area and the people and would love to be able to work with them. Closer to family, fairly good weather and I could see myself staying there long term
 
Kimmi! Congrats on the upcoming interview! I just scheduled my interview for Feb 22nd, when is yours? The calendar only had two choices of interview days, Feb 15 and 22. It would be nice though to have a fellow SDNer to interview with! 👍
 
I have a question for the current first years: What exactly do you do during your second year? The website doesn't say too much about it except that you'll be in small group settings at the CHCs, etc. How do you learn the rest of year two curriculum without the faculty, labs, and everything? Who teaches the pharm, patho, etc classes when you're not on campus anymore? It seems weird. I was trying to explain it to my dad but then realized I had no idea. I guess he's just worried that we wouldn't be learning everything that typical MS-2s do if we're spending our time in the clinics-granted that experience is still necessary and important and everything, but will we still be adequately prepared for the rest of the core clinical sciences?

Also, when exactly do the second years go to their CHCs? Like right at the beginning of the second year or middle or what?
 
Kimmi! Congrats on the upcoming interview! I just scheduled my interview for Feb 22nd, when is yours? The calendar only had two choices of interview days, Feb 15 and 22. It would be nice though to have a fellow SDNer to interview with! 👍

I scheduled mine for 2/15. I am excited--the CHC's seem really cool! Good Luck with your interview:luck:
 
I have a question for the current first years: What exactly do you do during your second year? The website doesn't say too much about it except that you'll be in small group settings at the CHCs, etc. How do you learn the rest of year two curriculum without the faculty, labs, and everything? Who teaches the pharm, patho, etc classes when you're not on campus anymore? It seems weird. I was trying to explain it to my dad but then realized I had no idea. I guess he's just worried that we wouldn't be learning everything that typical MS-2s do if we're spending our time in the clinics-granted that experience is still necessary and important and everything, but will we still be adequately prepared for the rest of the core clinical sciences?

Also, when exactly do the second years go to their CHCs? Like right at the beginning of the second year or middle or what?

First of all you need to realized that SOMA' curriculum is totally different from the traditional med school curriculum. During the first year, you will be learning items in pharm, immun, path and other disciplines that you would not be exposed to until 2nd year in many other med schools. Year 1 is extend to almost 12 months instead of 9-10 months you will see at the other schools allowing an expansion of the 1st year curriculum and leaving rooms during 2nd years for clinicals. By the way, year 2 is half didactics and half clinicals. At each CHC, there will be at least 2 faculties/facilitators responsible for the didactic portion of the curriculum.
Also keep in mind that at the end of the 2nd year, you will need to be back on the mesa campus for STEP 1 PREP
So don't feel like you will be missing out of anything
I hope this clearify things little bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interviewing next month and don't have a hotel yet. I saw something about traffic and wanted to know how far away is reasonable to stay in hopes of getting a cheaper hotel room (and if you know of one, could you please let me know). So far, all the ones the school has on their website are close to 100 and i would like to pay less if possible. especially since i have to rent a car.
 
I am interviewing next month and don't have a hotel yet. I saw something about traffic and wanted to know how far away is reasonable to stay in hopes of getting a cheaper hotel room (and if you know of one, could you please let me know). So far, all the ones the school has on their website are close to 100 and i would like to pay less if possible. especially since i have to rent a car.

When I interviewed and looked for apartments, I stayed at some cheap motels in Mesa. Look for Travelodge or Motel 6 on Broadway.
 
I have a question for the current first years: What exactly do you do during your second year? The website doesn't say too much about it except that you'll be in small group settings at the CHCs, etc. How do you learn the rest of year two curriculum without the faculty, labs, and everything? Who teaches the pharm, patho, etc classes when you're not on campus anymore? It seems weird. I was trying to explain it to my dad but then realized I had no idea. I guess he's just worried that we wouldn't be learning everything that typical MS-2s do if we're spending our time in the clinics-granted that experience is still necessary and important and everything, but will we still be adequately prepared for the rest of the core clinical sciences?

Also, when exactly do the second years go to their CHCs? Like right at the beginning of the second year or middle or what?

To be honest, the exact details of what happens in MS-2 are unknown because they are still being planned. The idea is to spend our time 50/50 between clinicals and classroom. The didactics will be a mix of pod-cast lectures from the main campus and likely some in-house and guest lectures at the CHC. It may seem a little wacky but the basic science stuff is pretty much all self-study when you get down to it.

The first year goes through the end of July, followed by a 6 week vacation, and then you go directly to your CHC for years 2-3.
 
Thanks gildas and greenshirt! I'm definitely getting a better picture of what the SOMA experience will be like. So, years 2 and 3 are at CHCs, but what about the 4th year? I thought the last three years were spent at the CHC.