ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the quick response!
what CHC did you end up with?
was it the one you chose? ....actually, how many do you choose? If you choose more than one, do they attempt to give you your first choice, then if that one is not available--they look for your second choice?
it seems like hawaii might be a highly desirable CHC and im worried that others would snag it up before I get a chance to interview...there is no way that having ties to hawaii could improve my chances of getting that CHC, huh? not even a little?

Actually they want to find people who are willing to stay in the communities we train in, so if you have a true connection to a community then they will definitely take this into consideration. So you got to make the case to them that you would be a good addition to the Hawaii CHC. And yes, Hawaii is one of the more popular locales in SOMA.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

was it the one you chose? ....actually, how many do you choose? If you choose more than one, do they attempt to give you your first choice, then if that one is not available--they look for your second choice?
it seems like hawaii might be a highly desirable CHC and im worried that others would snag it up before I get a chance to interview...there is no way that having ties to hawaii could improve my chances of getting that CHC, huh? not even a little?

Seattle was my #1 choice and I got it. Joyce (the admissions lady) said I got the last spot. I interviewed in late Feb. I would say hawaii, seattle, and brooklyn are the most popular spots. So if you're shooting for one of those be sure to apply early. As for ranking, you put a number next to whatever CHC it is. There are 11 CHC's so you rank them all in the order you'd like. If your top choice is taken then they goto next one, so on and so forth. As for giving a reason for your choice, you get like two lines. It's not much so I'm not really sure if that plays too much of a factor.

Seattle was my #1 choice and I got it. Joyce (the admissions lady) said I got the last spot. I interviewed in late Feb. I would say hawaii, seattle, and brooklyn are the most popular spots. So if you're shooting for one of those be sure to apply early. As for ranking, you put a number next to whatever CHC it is. There are 11 CHC's so you rank them all in the order you'd like. If your top choice is taken then they goto next one, so on and so forth. As for giving a reason for your choice, you get like two lines. It's not much so I'm not really sure if that plays too much of a factor.

hi tin! =) it's me, your fb buddy. :D I'm not stalking you or anything, so don't get too excited :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually it seems - everyone feel free to correct me - that Brooklyn, Seattle, and Phoenix seem to be the toughest ones (b/c they have large affiliated hospitals)... Hawaii comes in at a close fourth or fifth... Keep in mind this is going to be rural, homeless Hawaii; not Maui... However, I expect great beaches and surfing nonetheless and is probably better than Troy, Alabama... lol...

If you are applying now and have it finished by end of July you should be golden if you have decent stats and are interviewed in August or Sept...

Actually it seems - everyone feel free to correct me - that Brooklyn, Seattle, and Phoenix seem to be the toughest ones (b/c they have large affiliated hospitals)... Hawaii comes in at a close fourth or fifth... Keep in mind this is going to be rural, homeless Hawaii; not Maui... However, I expect great beaches and surfing nonetheless and is probably better than Troy, Alabama... lol...

If you are applying now and have it finished by end of July you should be golden if you have decent stats and are interviewed in August or Sept...

Tuscon, Brooklyn and Phoenix are the CHCs that are tertiary care centers. However, Hawaii and Seattle are amongst the most popular because of location.

I don't think they send out interview invitations until much later than this. Close to Thanksgiving. I had everything filled out and in around September/October and interviewed in January, not long after receiving an invitation. Many people said that it took them longer to get through. But maybe with this being their third go around, it will be a little quicker. Best wishes.

In reply to primadonna et al

We're not affiliated with the Salud organization - we are working with the Multnomah County Health Department so our territory is supposed to cover their CHCs within the Portland City limits (six I think).

We still don't have details of what they have planned for us...but we've herad rumors of the group being split up and assigned to different CHCs for our clinical work, though our "home base" is at the St Johns CHC. That is where our classroom is located.
Our facilitator is Lisa Watts, DO. Our OPP facilitator has also been hired but his name escapes me at the moment.
We've recently been informed of a ceremony at the CHC come August...so they seem excited to have us. More info should be coming as the weeks pass.

Thanks for sharing. I think I inferred it must be Salud since somewhere on the thread it said "Woodburn" and there ain't much else in Woodburn.
Keep us posted...very interested to see where this goes.
L.

In reply to primadonna et al

We're not affiliated with the Salud organization - we are working with the Multnomah County Health Department so our territory is supposed to cover their CHCs within the Portland City limits (six I think).

We still don't have details of what they have planned for us...but we've herad rumors of the group being split up and assigned to different CHCs for our clinical work, though our "home base" is at the St Johns CHC. That is where our classroom is located.
Our facilitator is Lisa Watts, DO. Our OPP facilitator has also been hired but his name escapes me at the moment.
We've recently been informed of a ceremony at the CHC come August...so they seem excited to have us. More info should be coming as the weeks pass.

Woodburn was where we originally were going to go, but due to some political strife fell through. All we've heard are rumors and some diplomatic responses from our CHC coordinator so we will probably never really know what happened. Rumors were the doctors weren't onboard.

I'm much happier with being within the city of Portland though!

Ahhh....interesting. Also, as I pointed out pages and pages ago, there is no major hospital close to Woodburn. Portland sounds like a better option.
L.

Woodburn was where we originally were going to go, but due to some political strife fell through. All we've heard are rumors and some diplomatic responses from our CHC coordinator so we will probably never really know what happened. Rumors were the doctors weren't onboard.

I'm much happier with being within the city of Portland though!

Just wanted to point out thread for you guys to discuss CHC's and such... This would really help me and the other people considering SOMA. Since we'll be spending so much time at a particular CHC and not much is known (to non-students anyways) about the details, I thought you all would be able to help!

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=537091

:hardy:

Thanks for the info on CHC's that has been posted. I just came from their website and let me get this straight- after one year in Mesa, you take off for 3 years at some primary care facility??? I'm married and will soon have a kid on the way. I assume they come too, right? Does this program focus strictly on primary care??

Do you guys know if ATSU-SOMA has any facebook groups? Link them here please...

... Hawaii comes in at a close fourth or fifth... Keep in mind this is going to be rural, homeless Hawaii; not Maui... ...

correct you i shall. homelessness in hawaii is everywhere though mostly concentrated on the west/leeward side, and the clinics are all unique and range a variety of demographics (CHCs are not exclusive). waianae is the main clinic and serves rural (if you can consider it, its only ~30min from honolulu), kapolei/waipahu serves suburb, and ala moana/waikiki serves urban. potential 3rd/4th year sites include Maui (for Ob/Gyn), and possibly other islands which are more rural, especially the Big Island. here are some websites that may help and provide info on potential rotation sites, and the situation in Hawaii.

http://www.wcchc.com
http://www.nativehawaiianhealth.net
http://www.hawaiipca.net

you got the gist of it though. hawaii is not going to be a walk on the beach. its going to be a lot of work and definately a culture shock, as all the chc's will be.

ps, HAWAII is NUMBER 1!!!!

may have minimal to no highlighting.

Greenspan’s Endocrinology
$43.16
Berne Levy Physiology 4th ed
$68.85
Vander’s Renal 6th Ed
$36.95
Lippincott Biochem 4th Ed
$49.46
Clinical Neuroanatomy 6th Ed
$58.50
Netter’s Flash Neuroanatomy Flash cards (not req/recc but are awesome)
$34.95

Total: $291.87
MY PRICE: $225

*would have to pick it up at my house before july 23rd.

PM me if you are interested.

I just recently got off the AZCOM waitlist, now I can't decide where to go. I love the unique set-up of SOMA, but don't like the fact that it's so new. I feel it would be safer to go to AZCOM if I want to specialize, but the new class size is such a turn-off.

I wish I can give one of my spots to someone else soon.....ahhhhhh, feel guilty holding spots...

I, too, am looking for housing in Mesa. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I need at least a 2 bedroom 1 bath. Are there any students leaving who are interested in passing me their contract?

Let me know if you're still interested in a 2 BR in Colonial Grand. I think mine is the best on the property: great views of sunrises & sunsets over the mountains.

Last edited: