ATSU-SOMA vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arepa75

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm super fortunate to have two acceptances but I need help deciding which school to choose before the deadline.

For background, I've lived in Florida most of my life but being close to home isn't a preference. Leaning toward FM, EM, peds, or possibly EM/Peds, so not too concerned about matching.

ATSU-SOMA

Pros:
-1+3 model
-H/P/F grading
-Diverse City, I'm especially interested in working with the Hispanic community long term
-Tucson CHC established site for years 2-4, students I've spoken to say they have a lot of help when establishing rotations in 3-4 year
-My interviewers seemed very supportive

Cons:
-Tuition 62k
-Rumors of unhappy students

ACOM

Pros:
-Tuition 57k
-Cheaper COL
-Good match list
-Good board scores

Cons:
-Letter grading
-Small southern town, being URM and having grown up in a small Florida town I want to be in a more diverse community
-Lottery system for placement in 3-4 year

Overall I'm leaning towards SOMA due to my interest in working with minorities and living in a more diverse community, but I am aware of students complaining about the new curriculum.

Also not sure if this is important but there are only a few EM/Peds residency programs and one of them is in the Tucson area. If I decide on SOMA then I will have a stronger connection to the program/area than say being at ACOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SOMA has more of a PBL based curriculum, correct? They are also unique in that they have varying sites that you are attached to that highly differentiates your education experience. I think you have to ask yourself if you would be comfortable with that vs a more standard learning environment.

I would try getting in touch with students at SOMA regarding what these rumors might be, as well as learning perhaps what made them choose that school to gauge for yourself.

I have heard complaints about SOMA’s new curriculum and ACOM is overall solid aside from some issues with first year student remediation. They have made some modifications while I have not heard the same for SOMA. You could look at the school-specific threads for current students at both schools.