Attending any of these schools: Duke, GW, Northwestern, UIC, Puget Sound, UF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks...
If you are a current attendee or a prior applicant of one of the schools mentioned above, could you post some advice specifically related to the following:

-What was the timeline for you hearing from that school? (when did you e-submit, when did you get notice about your interview if one was required, when did you get an offer of admission, etc.)
-Other than an interview day, does your school place any weight on going to visit a school before you're accepted (to, I don't know, show you're a serious applicant)? Did you personally visit before you were accepted?
-At what point (how many weeks after mailing) would it be appropriate to call or email and check on the status of your application?

I know I'm probably sounding crazy, but like...my ideal world would have me accepted to at least one school by the time I finish this semester. My applications were mailed on 9/25, so I feel like I'm ahead of the big application waves, right? Right? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually in my first year of PT school here at Duke. I was able to attend an Information Session during the summer of my application period. This session was merely an opportunity to learn about the university and program. In no way did this help an applicants chances of getting accepted. I applied Early Decision so my application was due by August 15. I e-submitted by the 1st week of PTCAS opening but had MAJOR issues with getting my transcripts sent. Aside from transcript issues, I soon found out by the end of August that I was invited for an interview on September 16. The very next week after my interview I was notified of my acceptance to Duke. As you can see, the process was pretty quick. Keep in mind, I applied early decision. Not sure if others that applied regular status had the same relative ease in getting timely information. Please let me know if you have any other questions. FYI, we have 3 "Gators" in my class. Thought you should know.

Hey folks...
If you are a current attendee or a prior applicant of one of the schools mentioned above, could you post some advice specifically related to the following:

-What was the timeline for you hearing from that school? (when did you e-submit, when did you get notice about your interview if one was required, when did you get an offer of admission, etc.)
-Other than an interview day, does your school place any weight on going to visit a school before you're accepted (to, I don't know, show you're a serious applicant)? Did you personally visit before you were accepted?
-At what point (how many weeks after mailing) would it be appropriate to call or email and check on the status of your application?

I know I'm probably sounding crazy, but like...my ideal world would have me accepted to at least one school by the time I finish this semester. My applications were mailed on 9/25, so I feel like I'm ahead of the big application waves, right? Right? :scared:

My list looked very much like yours! I'm a 1st year at Northwestern, but I also applied to UIC, UF, GW, and duke.

Here was my timeline...hope it helps you.

e-submitted on 8/29
emailed all schools on 9/22 to say everything was in and to kind of introduce myself
Northwestern acceptance-10/15
duke interview invite email -11/2
GW interview invite email -11/7
UF accepted-11/17
UIC accepted-12/16

I didn't visit schools except for on interviews or open houses. Northwestern and UIC had open houses on back to back days, so that was extra nice. I know most schools will let you come visit and talk to people whenever you want, but I wouldn't say its unnecessary. The only ones of my classmates who did that were local. I wouldn't spend the money to go travel somewhere unless it's on an interview or for open house, but i would suggest you see a school before deciding on it (via interview days or open houses)

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much 1109. I'd love to see your stats as well.

What made you decide on Northwestern versus the other schools. Was NU in-state for you? Also did you find out about these via phone or email or snail mail? Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Feel free to PM me if you want :)