Attending Univ. of Pacific (Stockton)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindy510

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you all,

If you're currently attending Uni. of Pacific (Stockton) or know the school, please tell me what you like or dislike about it? ( such as the area, program, professors, environment, ....) why do you choose / not choose to attend the school?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

school suxs

PharmDster said:
school suxs

i don't go to uop, but i have visited for their open house and talked to ppl who go there. what stands out positively was that their program is shortest of all california schools, and since it's private, classes are small and the student:faculty ratio is pretty good. negative-wise, stockton is pretty boring but if you're there, you have easy access to sac, sf, etc. hope that helps ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mindy510 said:
Hey you all,

If you're currently attending Uni. of Pacific (Stockton) or know the school, please tell me what you like or dislike about it? ( such as the area, program, professors, environment, ....) why do you choose / not choose to attend the school?

thanks!

Hi. I chose not to go UOP and am going to USC instead because UOP's campus is not that impressive. The city sucks...farm land, which has its ups and downs. You won't be partying much so you study more, but if you want a break, you have to go elsewhere like in the City.

I chose USC because they have a better network and will help with jobs and internships/externships. I think USC has a better reputation and is higher ranked in the charts. Which matters to some extent when I apply for a residency program. I want to more clinical or industrial and UOP is more community based. USC has more sites for people to do their internships.

UOP, however is 3 year program so you will be out 1 year earlier. The amount you pay is about the same...maybe $20k less but its about the experience.

Good luck deciding...

their program is intensive, which means almost no breaks or the breaks will seem not long enough!! if you are not currently enrolled in their 5 year program your chances of getting accepted will be slimer.

Hey yall,

thanks for the info. it helps alot since I've never been in CA before. I'm interested in the westcoast and wanted to know more about the schools there before applying....

As CorradoRacer mentioned, the program is very intense. You're practically in school for 2 years straight, without any breaks. Are you ready to be that focused? Yes, you get the in-class portion of pharm school done in only 2 years, but that leaves not much room for a summer internship. Attending a traditional 4-year campus will allow you to pursue summer internships and get experience in a field of pharmacy which employers value highly.

Stockton isn't the greatest city, but you have access to all of the bay area, Sacramento and Tahoe all at your fingertips. When you're in Pharm school, you won't have much time for anything else, other than to study and study.

The campus is relatively small. The main campus looks like something from the east coast with brick buildings and ivy covering the buildings. The PHS campus has 3 buildings, with the PHS building being the newest, built a few years back.

The 3-year program is a plus, but that should not be the only factor when determingin which school to attend. They only accept 100 applicants every year. The other 100 incoming students are from the Pre-Pharm program which is biased.

Pete
Univ. of the Pacific
PharmD/MBA, 2008

Hi doubbleup144, so UOP will accept most students from Pre-pharm program? Like 50% or something? Do you know if there's any chance for students who haven't get their Bachelor degree to get accepted? If I apply very early (before Aug 1st), do you think that I would have more chance to get in? Thnx so much in advance! :)

doubleup144 said:
As CorradoRacer mentioned, the program is very intense. You're practically in school for 2 years straight, without any breaks. Are you ready to be that focused? Yes, you get the in-class portion of pharm school done in only 2 years, but that leaves not much room for a summer internship. Attending a traditional 4-year campus will allow you to pursue summer internships and get experience in a field of pharmacy which employers value highly.

Stockton isn't the greatest city, but you have access to all of the bay area, Sacramento and Tahoe all at your fingertips. When you're in Pharm school, you won't have much time for anything else, other than to study and study.

The campus is relatively small. The main campus looks like something from the east coast with brick buildings and ivy covering the buildings. The PHS campus has 3 buildings, with the PHS building being the newest, built a few years back.

The 3-year program is a plus, but that should not be the only factor when determingin which school to attend. They only accept 100 applicants every year. The other 100 incoming students are from the Pre-Pharm program which is biased.

Pete
Univ. of the Pacific
PharmD/MBA, 2008

annievu said:
doubleup144, thnx for the advice! :)

if you want to attend uop i advise you to apply in first tier! since it is a private school being out of state is not that bad but dont get your hopes up. i say this not to discourage you because thats not my intention (i sort of discouraged myself from even applying there even though the campus is only 20 min from my parents house). Again, you have to be ready to work your butt off for 2+ years or so.

Just FYI....even though Pacific is a private institution, they still are biased towards in-state students. 6% of those admitted were out-of-state applicants, being about 6 students if you only count those who enter the program as a non pre-pharm.

First tier is the way to go for any school. Get your application early!!! If you apply early, your application is reviewed earlier than everyone elses.

Corradoracer said:
if you want to attend uop i advise you to apply in first tier! since it is a private school being out of state is not that bad but dont get your hopes up. i say this not to discourage you because thats not my intention (i sort of discouraged myself from even applying there even though the campus is only 20 min from my parents house). Again, you have to be ready to work your butt off for 2+ years or so.

thnx Corradoracer!