attitude changed after being more involved in hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xombie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have most of the qualifications to be accepted a 3.7 gpa, 36 mcat and hundreds of volunteer hours. However as ive been working in the hospital and as a phram tech. i've slowly created a strong hatred for people and can barely tolerate anyone recently. Is this normal for anyone else? I still love medicine, but what pushed me into the field was the wish to help people, however I cant stand people for long periods of time anymore. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

there is a really cool field called pathology. You'll never have to deal with them again.

Not from what I experienced so far. Time in a hospital isn't perfect, obviously. People are overworked, and patients often aren't in the best of moods (I don't blame them). But I love seeing people get better with the collective effort of health care workers. I have some EMT experience, and I'm more than halfway through my nursing program. I do like my major, but I chose it mostly because my (somewhat old-fashioned) family pressured me into it. I intend to go back to school while I work as an RN, since I'll have tuition compensation and a good salary. Most of it is my own interest, but I also want to see if I really want to go on another path later on in life. (I'm not 100% sure about med school.) Like I said, working with patients can be difficult sometimes for both parties, but trying to understand their feelings has helped me. That doesn't mean you have to give up hope for medical school forever. Maybe something else is causing some of your feelings, and even if hospitals aren't right for you there are other things you could go into. Edit: Maybe you could use a break as well.

Also, lol at FranZ's comment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It happens, and it probably won't get better.

What it comes down to is that the positives outweigh the negatives. The happy doctors I know have a ton of crappy patients. Still, every now and then, they have a patient or case that makes them feel really good, and that makes it worth it.

Just wait until you have patients who think healthcare is a right, and expect your services free of charge. I'm really looking forward to that.

Just wait until you have patients who think healthcare is a right, and expect your services free of charge. I'm really looking forward to that.

Not in medical school yet, but already a cynic. Can't wait to see how lovely of a flower you turn out to be.

Not in medical school yet, but already a cynic. Can't wait to see how lovely of a flower you turn out to be.

The clinic has that effect. :)

Last edited:

This x10.

Wow OP, if you're already jaded before even starting med school, I have a feeling you're going to end up like Panda Bear or MedicineSux, lol.

It seems like you need a change of scenery and fast. Stop working there and go become a lifeguard at the beach or something this summer. Your outlook on your patients/eye candy will be a lot better :)

I had the opposite effect. Before I volunteered, I was lazy and not that much into helping others. My GPA was low, about a 3.3. I started to volunteer and interact with patients. I found that I really loved medicine and I wanted to be a part of it. My grades went from B averages to As. I kept shadowing and became more involved in working to be a doctor. I will graduate in December and currently have a 3.7 (thanks for some 4.0s during my senior year and above 3.7s my junior year). Hopefully it goes up more after this next semester.
It worked for me one way, I am sure it could work the other way too.

I have most of the qualifications to be accepted a 3.7 gpa, 36 mcat and hundreds of volunteer hours. However as ive been working in the hospital and as a phram tech. i've slowly created a strong hatred for people and can barely tolerate anyone recently. Is this normal for anyone else? I still love medicine, but what pushed me into the field was the wish to help people, however I cant stand people for long periods of time anymore. Any help?

Are you sure you aren't just burned out? Because right now, I wouldn't mine slapping someone but I know it's because I'm stressed.
What turned you off? A specific experience or just in general?

If you're suggesting that medical professionals are impressed by feigned naivete, well, you deserve as much of a wrist-slap as he does.

They're most impressed by genuine naivete.

misanthropy takes too much energy. try thinking about the more positive aspects in medicine, instead of just focusing on the negative.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to me because I don't have a plan B

Agree with the people above that suggested you are experiencing burnout. Take some time to yourself and you'll be refreshed when you come back.