Quantcast

Attitude during Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sekiray

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1

Members don't see this ad.
Ive gone through a few interviews for jobs and such, and the one I have now, I think the most important part was the enthusiasm. I would say stuff like "O wow..... (really, no sarcasm)" "That is a stunning view." I felt like a little kid going to the zoo for the first time.

What is the case for med school interviews?
Do i act confident and less excited? For example, imagine talking to your friend and the friend saids "Guess what score I got? You say: "I dont care" then the friend: "Aw cmon, hear me out i got a so and so" So basically, trying to make the interviewer sell you the school. (Playing hard to get)

Or on the other hand, do you act excited and SUPER interested?
"Guess what score I got? "WHAT? What did get???" "I got a so and so" "O WOWW' Which is kinda kissing ass. But you make them feel good. (Playing easy to get)

Any input on how I should act would be greatly appreciated
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
8
Sekiray said:
Ive gone through a few interviews for jobs and such, and the one I have now, I think the most important part was the enthusiasm. I would say stuff like "O wow..... (really, no sarcasm)" "That is a stunning view." I felt like a little kid going to the zoo for the first time.

What is the case for med school interviews?
Do i act confident and less excited? For example, imagine talking to your friend and the friend saids "Guess what score I got? You say: "I dont care" then the friend: "Aw cmon, hear me out i got a so and so" So basically, trying to make the interviewer sell you the school. (Playing hard to get)

Or on the other hand, do you act excited and SUPER interested?
"Guess what score I got? "WHAT? What did get???" "I got a so and so" "O WOWW' Which is kinda kissing ass. But you make them feel good. (Playing easy to get)

Any input on how I should act would be greatly appreciated

Be yourself. If you're acting, they'll know.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
30,878
Reaction score
10,061
Sekiray said:
Ive gone through a few interviews for jobs and such, and the one I have now, I think the most important part was the enthusiasm. I would say stuff like "O wow..... (really, no sarcasm)" "That is a stunning view." I felt like a little kid going to the zoo for the first time.

What is the case for med school interviews?
Do i act confident and less excited? For example, imagine talking to your friend and the friend saids "Guess what score I got? You say: "I dont care" then the friend: "Aw cmon, hear me out i got a so and so" So basically, trying to make the interviewer sell you the school. (Playing hard to get)

Or on the other hand, do you act excited and SUPER interested?
"Guess what score I got? "WHAT? What did get???" "I got a so and so" "O WOWW' Which is kinda kissing ass. But you make them feel good. (Playing easy to get)

Any input on how I should act would be greatly appreciated

Don't play hard to get -- put out.
Frequent comments about interviewees seem to be that they are (1) too arrogant -- and act like they have an air of entitlement, and (2) too retiscent -- and that interviewing them is like pulling teeth. You get one chance to sell yourself to the school. So be confident and excited. But don't expect the school to sell itself to you -- there are like 8,000 of you for each slot they have. And don't kiss ass, or be an ass, or anything with ass in the sentence. Be a confident, excited, well thought out, mature version of yourself. Good luck.
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
Aye. Don't hesitate to sell yourself but don't be arrogant.

Tell them about the good things about you, but don't act like it makes you the greatest ever...that is for them to decide.

Act like yourself, be friendly. Have some substance.


PS. I don't think it helps much in "other interviews" you are talking about to be fakely brownnosing and fakely excited. If you are actually excited, then it works.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
30,878
Reaction score
10,061
sentrosi said:
PS. I don't think it helps much in "other interviews" you are talking about to be fakely brownnosing and fakely excited. If you are actually excited, then it works.

Agree with this. If the OP did well acting like this in job interviews, it was likely despite his antics, not because of them, that he got the job.
 

QuantumMechanic

Avatar=One of the Greats
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
a med student once told me that one of her fellow interviewees commented initially to her interviewer that the class or lecture she attended before the interview was "one of the most amazing experiences" that she's had. The interviewer proceeded to blast the poor girl about how what other "amazing experiences" she had in her life. needless to say, the girl came out of the interview crying.

moral: be yourself, trying to be too confident or too enthusiastic can backfire if the attempts aren't perceived as genuine.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
30,878
Reaction score
10,061
quantummechanic said:
a med student once told me that one of her fellow interviewees commented initially to her interviewer that the class or lecture she attended before the interview was "one of the most amazing experiences" that she's had. The interviewer proceeded to blast the poor girl about how what other "amazing experiences" she had in her life. needless to say, the girl came out of the interview crying.

moral: be yourself, trying to be too confident or too enthusiastic can backfire if the attempts aren't perceived as genuine.

It's not a bad idea for folks to practice their interviews with friends and family or ideally on video and get constructive feedback. If you are coming off cocky or obsequeous, it's a good idea to find that out early.
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
26,336
Reaction score
46,694
Interest
Don't expect the interviewer to sell the school to you (it can happen but don't expect it). You should go in knowing something about the school and be able to ask an informed question about the school. (You applied -- there should be some good reasons why you thought it was worth the application fee and the time it takes to do the secondary).

Arrogance
Don't go in with the sense that the admission is a slam dunk because this is your safety or because you've already been admitted to a higher ranked school or because your stats are well above the average for the school.
 

browniegirl86

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
790
Reaction score
2
Yeah . . . don't try to "be" any particular way. Just talk to the interviewer, answer the questions, ask your questions, etc like you were having a conversation with a normal person. That always worked well for me.

My interviews were always just friendly, low-key conversations.
 

Zweihander

Billygoat Gruff
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Messages
20,413
Reaction score
27,588
browniegirl86 said:
Yeah . . . don't try to "be" any particular way. Just talk to the interviewer, answer the questions, ask your questions, etc like you were having a conversation with a normal person. That always worked well for me.

My interviews were always just friendly, low-key conversations.
Word. :thumbup:
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
11,777
Reaction score
2,008
Law2Doc said:
It's not a bad idea for folks to practice their interviews with friends and family or ideally on video and get constructive feedback. If you are coming off cocky or obsequeous, it's a good idea to find that out early.
I agree. Even better if you can get interview practice at a campus Career Services group or something. The problem with friends and family is that they're rarely honest.

I like the watching yourself on video, anyway. You'd have to be completely arrogant to not shudder at seeing how you come off in interview mode.
 
Top