Attn: Past/present Kaplan & TPR instructors!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to teach the BS section of the MCAT with Kaplan, and landed an interview with them next Tues. Having never taught a class before I have NO idea what to 'teach' for my try-out, or whatever they call it...

I figured that some proportion of med. students have experience as MCAT instructors, so, to those of you who've been there, How did you prepare for the lesson-based interview?? What did you teach? Any tips on what they're looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

I taught a lesson entitled "how to interview for medical schools on the cheap." It really can be about anything, they just want to see that you can interact well with an audience and present things in an clear and understandable way. Pick something that you are naturally enthusiastic about, don't try to impress them by going with an esoteric or difficult topic (they don't care about the content).

Just pick something you're enthusiastic about. What they're really looking for is someone who can keep an audience's attention.

I did something about baseball I think. :D

Someone in my group taught us how to make a paper airplane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I taught people the basics behind roasting a turkey for thanksgiving. I went into the logic/science behind some of the methods out there. It was well received. You can really teach anything you want.

a few tips on preparing.

#1 practice your lesson
#2 write your entire lecture, word for word, on paper. these will be your notes.
#3 have notes but don't look at them. don't have them in your hand. put the notes down on a table and only refer to them to remind yourself what to talk about next. basically, have it memorized.
#4 ask a lot of questions. most prep companies want interactive teachers, not boring ones who will put students to sleep
#5 consider the level of your interviewer/panal. chances are, not everyone will be a science person.

as far as topic, pick something that interests you. i think mine was on atomic structure and radioactivity.

you are overthinking this dude, teach how to do laundry. use the white board, speak clearly. you will pass, the rest is upto demand of teachers. dont waste 5 seconds of your life preparing for this (use the white board though - lists + asking the class questions = shoo-in)

Dont teach difficult stuff

i tried to teach the offside rule in soccer and screwed up major.

But mostly also because fakking chelsea beat us was it 3-1?
With fakking ivanovic scoring from those two corners
so fakking pissed that day when i went for my interview.

BUT I WAS REALLY LUCKY NOT TO GET THE JOB... I WAS BLESSED.

I would have died if I had to handle working 9-5 at a lab, and then part time at TPR, AND do my secondaries... I would have died. So i was really fortunate. HAHA :D

Teach the 7 ways to reach base without getting a hit in baseball. :thumbup:

BTW, who is the audience for these things?

Just pick something you're enthusiastic about. What they're really looking for is someone who can keep an audience's attention.

I did something about baseball I think. :D

Someone in my group taught us how to make a paper airplane.

Teach the 7 ways to reach base without getting a hit in baseball. :thumbup:

BTW, who is the audience for these things?

i did baseball too! i taught how to turn a double play.

I taught how to make a cup of tea (eastern vs. western teas, various additives, optimal temperature, etc.) lol

I taught how to run a pick n roll in basketball...easyy

I taught how to pick a 9 cat, H2H fantasy hoops team.

I taught on how to plan a backpacking trip and shop for backpacking gear. It was fun!

For Kaplan (back in the day) I did a presentation on how to build a campfire.

For TPR, I taught renal physiology (they asked us to present a science topic in the area we were applying for).

I think they want you to teach something that is non-science related.
I taught the proper way of painting a model car to get the lustrous shine on it.
Just talk abouta hobby or something.