ATTN UMIAMI STUDENTS- Urgent Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsareneat

im a new kid
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Miami Students!

I've been accepted to UM at Miami and FAU. I need to make my campus decision by Wednesday.

I was hoping one of you could give me a rundown of an average day for you. How much time in lecture, do you use PBL, how long are your labs, what clinical experience do you have in the first 2 years.

My interview day was rushed and fuzzy, and I didn't realize until this deadline was approaching that I really needed to know this to make my decision.

I would soooo appreciate it if you could respond before wed. It would be such a big help.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Miami Students!

I've been accepted to UM at Miami and FAU. I need to make my campus decision by Wednesday.

I was hoping one of you could give me a rundown of an average day for you. How much time in lecture, do you use PBL, how long are your labs, what clinical experience do you have in the first 2 years.

My interview day was rushed and fuzzy, and I didn't realize until this deadline was approaching that I really needed to know this to make my decision.

I would soooo appreciate it if you could respond before wed. It would be such a big help.

Thank you so much!

Things are changing at FAU next year, so it will be difficult for anyone to tell you exactly what's going on there. They are switching to their independent four year curriculum and are becoming semi-autonomous.

The schedule here at Miami is variable. I am in class from 3-6 hours a day in most modules. Anatomy is time consuming, as it is at every school. The labs are also very long. This only lasts about two and a half months. There is a new professor coming in, so some of that may change. Other labs are VERY reasonable. They are mostly a few 1-2 hour pathology sessions interspersed throughout the curriculum. There are also some "doctoring" small group sessions that are mandatory and vary in quality.

PBL is a pretty good break. It is helpful in a general sense, but it mostly puts together what you have already learned. We have it only in the second year in an ever morphing schedule that takes up a total of about 2 months. This is great board review time.

The clinical experience is awesome during the first two years, but it is largely what you make of it. The only real mandatory experience is four preceptor sessions a semester and some visits to the wards with a faculty mentor during second year. However, there are a huge number of opportunities (some official and some not) in which I've seen students do everything from organizing full scale clinical missions to foreign countries to scrubbing in on a liver transplant. I myself have done a foreign mission and scrubbed in on a AAA repair. I've participated in hospice, often seeing patients with severe pathology and a whole host of physical findings. I even spent some time in the crazy Jackson ER. If you are motivated, you could pretty much do anything during these first two years. That is a Miami strength. I cannot fathom that FAU clinicals will beat those in Miami, but this is mostly because of how unique Jackson is.