Attn: waitlisters -- housing thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeasOnToast

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing there are a whole bunch of us in this basket -- people who are holding an acceptance to a school that starts soon (UCLA starts the first week of August) and are on a waitlist at our top choice (not that I won't love UCLA if that's where i go).

What are you thinking about how to deal with housing? I'm under pressure to find an apartment in LA (and a roommate) but signing a lease seems out of the question if I'm going to change schools pending waitlist movement. What are the rest of you in the situation doing about this mess?

Members don't see this ad.

Find an apt with a low security deposit if possible....that way you can reserve the apt, but you don't have to sign the lease til you move in. :)

Also, try calling the school you're waitlisted at to tell them you have to send in a deposit....it could speed up an acceptance.

Well, I got myself into exactly that mess (mainly because I worry too much and I'm a spaz).
So, I put in a deposit to hold an apartment, then got accepted to another school, and now I don't want that apartment. I've lost the deposit to hold the place (it's been an expensive lesson). But, I wasn't going to sign an actual lease until I moved in, so I've lost only :( that deposit.
My advice is: if you find a place that you REALLY like, fill out the application, but don't put down more money than you're willing to lose. You will probably have to negotiate.
You know, if you're not limited by something like a dog(which it's really hard to find a place for, anywhere) you'll be able to find housing, even the week before you want to move in. Maybe it won't be perfect, but then only sign for a year.
The other thing is, so I've lost a bit of money. In the overall scheme of things, in the total amount school will cost me, it's not that much. I won't starve or be homeless from losing that money, and I will make it again later. (OK, now I'm really just trying to make myself feel better.)