Attrition rates for Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While interviewing at LECOM-Erie. Dr. Wise told us to take a look at the attrition rates (how many graduate out of entered) of all the schools. He said they were compiled somewhere but I cant seem to find them. Does anyone have any info on the current attrition rates for all schools?

Members don't see this ad.

thats perfect. Actually it's on page 19.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats perfect. Actually it's on page 19.

Page 19 is titled "How to Apply":confused:

The table I'm looking at is page 14 and it has:

Applications First-Year
Enrollment
Total
*Enrollment Graduates* This is what you're looking for, right?

Well, they show graduates and first year enrollment, and since enrollment at most schools is now bigger than four years ago, I am not sure if you can get exact numbers.

its on "page 14" of the booklet...but if you go by adobe standards, it will be on page 19 (of 94).

Ah, thanks. That makes sense now. I thought I was loosing my mind . . . :D

Well, they show graduates and first year enrollment, and since enrollment at most schools is now bigger than four years ago, I am not sure if you can get exact numbers.

True. Did anyone notice that some schools (NYCOM, Touro-MI) have more graduates than were enrolled? :confused:

Is this because it's just the number of graduates for that given year? For example, 135 students were enrolled for the class of 2012 and that same year 141 students graduated as the class of 2008? It would be cool to see over the course of 4 years how many students graduated out of the beginning class.

True. Did anyone notice that some schools (NYCOM, Touro-MI) have more graduates than were enrolled? :confused:

Is this because it's just the number of graduates for that given year? For example, 135 students were enrolled for the class of 2012 and that same year 141 students graduated as the class of 2008? It would be cool to see over the course of 4 years how many students graduated out of the beginning class.

It could include transfers but also students who had to remediate and were delayed in graduating.

This could be from decelerated programs and leaves of absence - a lot of schools (UNECOM for example) allow you up front to do med school in 5 years instead of 4. So that could add a few grads.

I'm going to try to pull together the year-to-year data, wish me luck.

lol. it also says CCOM had 15 graduates in 05-06.. i really hope that isn't true!!

and for lecom.. dr. wise shouldn't be talking THAT much.. sure they are great for 06-07.. but for 05-06 79%!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless I am wondering if First Year enrollment means the first year for the given year (05-06) and graduates from that given year. Then the numbers wouldn't have to match up.

I'm going to try to pull together the year-to-year data, wish me luck.

That would be great! Let me know if I can help! (I have a subscription to US News & World report). :)

That would be great! Let me know if I can help! (I have a subscription to US News & World report). :)

Me too, and it's a disappointing info source so far. I hope they're planning to include branch campuses SOME DAY THIS CENTURY. Aaarrrggghh.

Thanks for the useful links!

By the looks of it (table 11B), the first two years have the most people washing-out. That makes sense based on the content plus boards...

This attrition data is very sobering to say the least. Sheesh

I'd still like to see the data for individual schools...just for kicks. I'm sure all of the schools are somewhere close to the average...

This attrition data is very sobering to say the least. Sheesh

It is? 4% total first year, and 3% second year hardly sounds like a lot.

It is? 4% total first year, and 3% second year hardly sounds like a lot.

Yeah, this isn't scaring me until I see that DO numbers are different from MD schools. I would expect DO & MD are about the same. I would expect Carrib rates are much higher, up around 30% (based on some '03 data out of Iserson's residency book).

I also would expect that all the attrition rates decrease as competition goes up. So just like the rest of the DO stigma package, 10 years ago DO attrition rates may have been closer to 10%, and that would have led to strong MD opinions about DO applicant quality. Yada yada yada.

I would guess that most people who leave medical school do so for a reason other than the difficulty of the work. I don't know that for sure, but it seems logical. Medical schools are pretty notorious for working with their students and helping them get their **** done if they're struggling. And at the same time, they aren't going to admit a lot of people they think might have trouble with the work.

I'd still like to see the data for individual schools...just for kicks. I'm sure all of the schools are somewhere close to the average...

You're probably right. My class started with 162 and now has 151. However, there are a couple of people from my class that are a year behind now, some for sickness and some for academic reasons. Likewise, there are also a couple in my class now who came from the class ahead of me. Our overall rate right now is about 7%, which is pretty average.

I would guess that most people who leave medical school do so for a reason other than the difficulty of the work. I don't know that for sure, but it seems logical. Medical schools are pretty notorious for working with their students and helping them get their **** done if they're struggling. And at the same time, they aren't going to admit a lot of people they think might have trouble with the work.

Hmm, maybe not. The '03 and '04 tables show more significant withdrawal numbers for academic failure/underperformance than for personal reasons et al.

The leave of absence numbers are the other way around.

So this could argue for schools being good at assistance for students who can come out of hiding early enough to pursue a leave of absence, vs. schools being not so good at assistance for students who go out in flames. Flaming balls of disaster are a lot more difficult to assist than, say, cans of kerosene.

There is only one person you need to worry about for continuing on in their education. Guess who

My husband left because of financial difficulties. They tried to help him as much as they could but it was too late by that point. A school will work hard to do what they can to help you succeed there.

Sorry to bump a 10 month old thread, but i searched attrition rate and came here.

I was wondering where you guys got the data which lead you to say that the average attrition rate is around 7%?

And the user DrMidLife posted :

"The '03 and '04 tables show more significant withdrawal numbers for academic failure/underperformance than for personal reasons et al."

What table allows you to see the amount of students who withdrew and why they did so?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Oh, well now i see the user DrMidLife was talking about a book he owns.

But if anyone has any links to any other DO attrition information that is online, id appreciate that.

Last edited:
While interviewing at at DMU, someone in the admission office said 4-5 students don't graduate from each class - mainly because of personal reasons. So that's like 2.5% or something. You have to fail a lot of classes to get kicked out of med school.

Here is some somewhat old data that I think the previous posters used:

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/page 24.pdf

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/page 25.pdf

There isn't any data newer than what's in the '06 book. There's no per-school published data. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure the rates are quite low all around. Also, if you're looking at this to compare MD attrition to DO ... I don't think there would be much of a difference (I don't know if that was the point though ... it's really late and neuroscience is making me slip into madness). Schools with big drop out rates are normally ones in the Caribbean known for accepting unqualified applicants simply to cash their check and not care if they can't cut it (not really a problem with the big 4/established ones).

Oh true. Thanks for the info and links.

And to the above question of what im looking at the attrition rates for, im looking at DO attrition rates to compare it to Carribean schools attrition rates.

And niceeeeee, the attrition rates for DO look really low. This will definitely factor into my decision of whether or not i will take an extra year to make my DO application better, or if i just take an acceptance to the carribbean big 3.

And to the above question of what im looking at the attrition rates for, im looking at DO attrition rates to compare it to Carribean schools attrition rates.

And niceeeeee, the attrition rates for DO look really low. This will definitely factor into my decision of whether or not i will take an extra year to make my DO application better, or if i just take an acceptance to the carribbean big 3.

Go DO!!

the attrition rates at certain Caribbean schools are horrible. None of them compare to any DO school, not even close.

the attrition rates at certain Caribbean schools are horrible. None of them compare to any DO school, not even close.

Not even the big 3? Im not even bothering with any Caribbean schools besides those (the big 3 being: Ross, St Georges, and American)

Not even the big 3? Im not even bothering with any Caribbean schools besides those (the big 3 being: Ross, St Georges, and American)

I don't want to slander schools, so I will just say to check out the information on your own BUT ... the big 3 are worlds above a lot of other ones down there. The big 3 actually have admission standards, but there are some Caribbean schools that pull crap like not requiring the MCAT, etc - that are simply going to take your money knowing you'll probably fail ... and these are the ones with the biggest attrition rates. HOWEVER, I do think the big three PROBABLY have higher attrition rates than any DO school. If someone has info that would be great.

I am at real risk for failing out right now, I don't know if it was my fault but feel I studied a lot.
I did well in undergrad and MCAT, so its a surprise to me. Part of me thinks the way my school asked questions is the culprit, but then again I can't say that I'm not biased.

I am at real risk for failing out right now, I don't know if it was my fault but feel I studied a lot.
I did well in undergrad and MCAT, so its a surprise to me. Part of me thinks the way my school asked questions is the culprit, but then again I can't say that I'm not biased.

Care to expand? School? What you've failed? Has the school tried to work with you, etc?? From what I understand, med schools want you to graduate/pass step. They usually work with students to get you there. Drop outs = bad rep for them, they don't want this.

Yeah really man, what happened? Hearing people make statements worries me - especially if they feel as though they worked hard to do well.

You're probably right. My class started with 162 and now has 151. However, there are a couple of people from my class that are a year behind now, some for sickness and some for academic reasons. Likewise, there are also a couple in my class now who came from the class ahead of me. Our overall rate right now is about 7%, which is pretty average.

Yep and some class sizes actually increase as those students who were a year or so behind catch up; our class went from 218 to now over 230. The last I heard DMU was also around 5-7% and I personally only know of one student who dropped out entirely.