AUC vs. Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially after Devry took over Ross and the low USMLE scores in 2004? Any Ross or AUC students please?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, can't speak for Ross.. but I chose AUC for the following reasons:

1) Accredited in all 50 states
2) Good USMLE pass rates
3) Good facilities
4) Decent tuition
5) Most modern Carib island, in fact.. FREAKIN GORGEOUS
6) Much smaller class sizes
7) Topless beaches
8) # of ways to blow off steam after a midterm.

Is Texas still a state? Because I am positive AUC grads cannot be licensed there currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Ross is accredited in 49 states. Having issues in Texas. All caribbean schools and UAG are having issues in Texas.
2. USMLE pass rates tend to be good (85-90%). Can't speak for average Ross student score though. Lots of rumors of the contrary, but from speaking with friends, I don't see it to be true. In the end its what you do, not what the school does.
3. Facilities are top notch here. Island is bottom of the barrel though.
4. Tuition same as the others, less than SGU.
5. worst island of them all. But lends itself to studying a lot and almost no distractions. Take the good with the bad.
6. Class sizes are pretty large. Isn't a big issue, most people tend to teach themselves or just go and listen. I think pre-meds make it a bigger issue than it really is. Faculity are always there, even after dinner sometimes and always looking to help.
7. 16 months on the island (if you maintain a 2.9 or greater gpa through 4 semesters). Least in the carib. Accelerated I guess. No summer vacation.
8. Advanced intro to clinical med in miami
9. ACGME cores in the US (mostly NYC), but with all US clinical rotation sites in NYC, California, a few in florida, baltimore, chicago, etc.
10. History and good reputation. Been around for awhile so its pretty well known.
11. In my opnion, its 2nd only to SGU in the carib, but thats because SGU has a name and the clinical rotations are setup better there.
12. Yes, I am biased for my own school :)

Basically, I choose Ross over AUC, SABA, etc because I believed that it would provide me with a better education and better opportunities down the road. I knew someone who has gone through this school as well personally. With the fiancial backing of Devry now, I know the school isn't going to disappear anytime soon. its been around for around 25 years now.

In the end, I think a decision between Ross and AUC is how you want to live and what kind of atmosphere do you want.

In the end, I dont think you are making a mistake by going to either institution as long as you work hard and ignore all the distractions around you.

Currently, ALL Caribbean grads (except Univ. of West Indies) have problems getting lisenced in Texas. However, as far as I know, Ross is the only one that is pro-active about this issue since it has been attending meetings with the Texas board of medicine documented in the board minutes. The last meeting with the board was October 7, 2004. The minutes of this meeting will be available on-line soon. Here is the link to the board minutes:

www.tsbme.state.tx.us/calendar/minutes/doc/2004/04mbmin.htm

If you go to the Texas Medical Board, you will see that Texas does not recognize ANY Caribbean school as "substancialy equivalent". Here is the link for you:

www.tsbme.state.tx.us/professionals/docinfo/STDNHPSE.rtf

As you can see, Grenada, Dominica, St. Maarten, ect..... have "NONE" next to them.

IMHO, "the Ross advantage" is:

1) The Second oldest Carib school-26 years (after St. George-27 years)
2) The Carib school with the largest financial base (due to DeVry)
3) Great education on the Island
4) The clinical program is good, only second to St. George's.

If you have the money for the tuition, go to St. George. If you cannot afford the outlandish SGU tuition, then I recommend Ross. However, AUC is a great school too. AUC is located on the BEST island out of the "big three". If enviroment is very important to you, then AUC is the place to go.

Good Luck.

Leukocyte said:
Currently, ALL Caribbean grads (except Univ. of West Indies) have problems getting lisenced in Texas.

Not true. There are Dominican (as in Dominican Republic) schools that are on the pre-approved list in Texas. One of them is UNIBE, which interestingly enough is banned in California.

-Skip

My decision is also between AUC and Ross... :confused:

which is cheaper? (realistic overall estimate that is)
which is shorter? (i saw 40 months for ross and 38 for AUC, is that accurate)
which has the better clinical med. component? (all acgme rotation sites?, ease of placement, etc.)
how do they prepare you for USMLE? (kaplan, self study, etc.)

these are the big questions for me, and your previous responses do address these at least partially- i appreciate it.

if there was something you could change about the school you chose or something you would have done differently, what would that be?

krust3 said:
My decision is also between AUC and Ross... :confused:

which is cheaper? (realistic overall estimate that is)
which is shorter? (i saw 40 months for ross and 38 for AUC, is that accurate)
which has the better clinical med. component? (all acgme rotation sites?, ease of placement, etc.)
how do they prepare you for USMLE? (kaplan, self study, etc.)

these are the big questions for me, and your previous responses do address these at least partially- i appreciate it.

if there was something you could change about the school you chose or something you would have done differently, what would that be?

1) Cheaper? Probably AUC but you can easily find this info out from the school's themselves.

2) Shorter? Don't know... just add up the semesters/weeks. Don't get too anal on this... both are essentially four years in length and you'll still end up starting residency the same time if you don't have any set-backs.

3) Clinicals? Ross generally is considered to have better clinicals... can't really give you the details cause I don't remember. Ross lists all of their sites for core rotations on its website. You can then cross-reference it with the "green book." If you don't know what the green book is, it's a listing of all residency requirements and residency programs in the country. I don't remember who publishes it, though.

4) USMLE prep? Well, ultimately it's you who prepares yourself for the USMLE. And in my opinion, it should start with your first semester in med school. However, if you fail a semester at Ross or get below a 3.0 gpa at Ross, you get to stay on the island another semester for what is essentially a prep course. Or, during your 5th semester you can opt for the 12-week semester (vs. 9-week) with the UMBR course included. Some don't use any prep course and still score 220+, but a lot students will... it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

the more i read, the more i see there is no big difference between program length. to me, it's a little misleading on the websites :mad: .

i lean a little toward Ross because it's more established and seems to have better clinical placement. i do like the idea of student housing offered by AUC though.

so why did you pick Ross?

krust3 said:
the more i read, the more i see there is no big difference between program length. to me, it's a little misleading on the websites :mad: .

i lean a little toward Ross because it's more established and seems to have better clinical placement. i do like the idea of student housing offered by AUC though.

so why did you pick Ross?

I picked Ross because...

1) the clinical program is stronger.

2) it was more established.

3) the ability to have a chance of doing all my core rotations in California. Of which I subsequently learned that it is very competitive and while I am in a good position to take advantage of it, realized also that I may not take up this option.

4) I could do all my rotations in the U.S. At the time (couple years ago), many AUC students were required to do clinical rotations in the UK because of the lack of available spots in the U.S.

5) for me, being on a less-developed island was secondary in importance to the above reasons.

6) the Ross (and SGU) Open House presentations were very well-attended and top-notch... good presentations, very open and very honest. Whereas, the AUC Open House presentation was sparsely attended (which lead me to believe it wasn't a very well-known, reputable school) and the presentation was horrible... when answering questions, I got the sense that they were always trying to dodge certain issues and giving us half-truths.

And since I brought up SGU, I didn't apply to SGU for one reason. I projected the cost of attending SGU to be about $50,000 more by the time I graduated. I have a big load of student loans still outstanding and if I ever had to be on a primary care physician salary, I would definitely have more difficulty in paying back my loans considering all the interest that gets accrued and capitalized.

BTW, I read in another post of yours that you'll be 32 when you start residency. LOL, I'll be in the same boat myself.

Ross it is! i leaned toward them anyway :thumbup: .

i'm glad to hear you're old too :laugh:

So the Caribbean schools are now requiring MCATs eh?
that's another reason i was looking abroad. i don't look forward to studying my tail off for another standardized test. it's not like i'm gonna have to score a 35 to get in or anything, but still it's a pain.

thanks awdc,
nice to hear what it's all about from someone who's been through the storm ;)

I also picked Ross over AUC and St.George's, though I have yet to see if I made the right choice. I will be starting in Jan 2005 at Ross, if God wills. I picked Ross because it is more established; I am from NJ and Ross has most of its clinical rotations site in Northeast, Ross has also better residency placements; I was also interviewed at Ross and not at AUC and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable. Also, in AUC the rent for a month is around $ 1000 for a single. I cannot possibly be paying 20k just for living in an island, no matter how advanced it is. I did not apply to St.George's because of the same reason as awdc; it costs 60k more for almost the same quality of education.
I really hope that I end up doing well in Ross and become an excellent physician. By the way awdc, which housing at Ross will you recommend and which creditor did you take your private loan from, if any? How has been your experience at Ross and any regrets that you didn't pick St.Georges?
Thanks so much,
You're a lot of help.
-Dani

danimastani said:
and the low USMLE scores in 2004?

where did you hear about the "low" scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know but I have heard that the USMLE pass rates for Ross graduates for 2004 were much lower, (around 50-65%), much lower than the 85-90% for 2002; as a result Devry is pressuring Ross into making sure that "qualified" students join Ross. Sorry if I was misinformed but that's what the impression i gathered after reading from couple of sources.
-Dani

whoa :scared: ,

50-65% is a hell of a big difference from 80-90% :eek: .

Bad batch of students? Seems like a stretch, but I hope that was it.

Any current students out there have anything to say about this :confused: ?

Bad reps are tough to shake. I would think it is fair to ask what their most recent USMLE pass rates were at your interview and certainly at some point before you matriculate.

personally I dont know where the 50-65% is coming from. All the people Ive spoken to above me have all passed on their first attempt. Ive met 1 individual online who did not pass but that was his own doing frim ill preperation and looks like he'll be changing that fail into a pass soon.

the school brought someone from Miami to carlify the rumors that we have heard. so far, the school is still gathering data on the recent passing scores. the last one they had was in 2002 or something like that. it was above 90%, i think.

Before devry took over,a bunch of capitalists owned ross. so their main goal was to get more money. so it seems that they let more people passing than failing. that could be the cause for low scores. before that time, if a person has a 2.9 GPA, s/he can pass usmle easily. now it is not the case any more.

and you have to realize that passing or not depends entirely on individuals.

danimastani said:
I really hope that I end up doing well in Ross and become an excellent physician. By the way awdc, which housing at Ross will you recommend and which creditor did you take your private loan from, if any? How has been your experience at Ross and any regrets that you didn't pick St.Georges?
Thanks so much,
You're a lot of help.
-Dani

Dani,

There's just so much housing around Ross that I just can't simply comment on even all that are at least decent. Prices near campus range from about $350 - $750 US generally with water included and furnished. Ross just started getting their own student housing up and running this past semester but there aren't too many units available yet. They run $350 US and are pretty good (for Dominica). Like you, I was a bit concerned about housing before coming down but try not to worry about it to much. You'll be going on a housing tour the day after you arrive and everything will more less work itself out. If you don't like anything you see on the housing tour, you can always scope out the area on your own.

As far private loan lenders, I just went with Sallie Mae for both the Stafford and the alternative loans.

I don't have any regrets for not going St. George's. I think both are comparable enough that it didn't bother me. My experience at Ross has been very positive. As you may know, there are a lot of people who wouldn't agree. There are a lot of factors that I think color a person's experience here that I won't go into right now but if you're really interested, just post another message and ask. Okay, that's enough for today... gotta hit the books. Congrats on your acceptance to Ross and best wishes to you on your studies.

awdc said:
Dani,

There's just so much housing around Ross that I just can't simply comment on even all that are at least decent. Prices near campus range from about $350 - $750 US generally with water included and furnished. Ross just started getting their own student housing up and running this past semester but there aren't too many units available yet. They run $350 US and are pretty good (for Dominica). Like you, I was a bit concerned about housing before coming down but try not to worry about it to much. You'll be going on a housing tour the day after you arrive and everything will more less work itself out. If you don't like anything you see on the housing tour, you can always scope out the area on your own.

As far private loan lenders, I just went with Sallie Mae for both the Stafford and the alternative loans.

I don't have any regrets for not going St. George's. I think both are comparable enough that it didn't bother me. My experience at Ross has been very positive. As you may know, there are a lot of people who wouldn't agree. There are a lot of factors that I think color a person's experience here that I won't go into right now but if you're really interested, just post another message and ask. Okay, that's enough for today... gotta hit the books. Congrats on your acceptance to Ross and best wishes to you on your studies.

Okay, I'll ask for Dani. What are some of the "factors that color a person's experience" at Ross?
I'm still planning to apply, but we might as well hear the good, bad, and dirty.

krust3 said:
Okay, I'll ask for Dani. What are some of the "factors that color a person's experience" at Ross?
I'm still planning to apply, but we might as well hear the good, bad, and dirty.

My perspective of teh school is this.
School wasn't too bad. Not comparable to any of the schools I had gone to before, but then again its a professional school and not an undergrad university with a ton of public or private funding.

Some of the professors sucked and some were amazing. Like any other school. What really makes it or breaks it is the people you meet and hang out with. Some are always negative and will make it a poor experience there, others will look at the brighter side of things.

My time, while not the easiest, wasn't terribly bad. I got sick of the food very quickly and I got frustrated because I wanted a steak or a real sandwhich. Things the school really isn't supposed to address.

My problems were with the island and all it had or didn't have to offer. I think most people's opnion of ross is colored by their adaptation to the island and just how primitive it can be living there.

But there are instances where the school does something that not everyone agrees with. But that's happened too many times in my previous undergrad colleges as well.
So people will moan and b1tch about it here too.

Students need to have some sort of past time.

i think that the main problem of Ross is its principle.

unlike most universities in the US, their major concern is to educate. making money is second. here, at ross, making money is first. education is second. the school sets up rules to make ross more marketable. higher scores means better reputation, more good quality applicants.

awdc said:
I picked Ross because...

1) the clinical program is stronger.

2) it was more established.

3) the ability to have a chance of doing all my core rotations in California. Of which I subsequently learned that it is very competitive and while I am in a good position to take advantage of it, realized also that I may not take up this option.

4) I could do all my rotations in the U.S. At the time (couple years ago), many AUC students were required to do clinical rotations in the UK because of the lack of available spots in the U.S.

5) for me, being on a less-developed island was secondary in importance to the above reasons.

6) the Ross (and SGU) Open House presentations were very well-attended and top-notch... good presentations, very open and very honest. Whereas, the AUC Open House presentation was sparsely attended (which lead me to believe it wasn't a very well-known, reputable school) and the presentation was horrible... when answering questions, I got the sense that they were always trying to dodge certain issues and giving us half-truths.

And since I brought up SGU, I didn't apply to SGU for one reason. I projected the cost of attending SGU to be about $50,000 more by the time I graduated. I have a big load of student loans still outstanding and if I ever had to be on a primary care physician salary, I would definitely have more difficulty in paying back my loans considering all the interest that gets accrued and capitalized.

BTW, I read in another post of yours that you'll be 32 when you start residency. LOL, I'll be in the same boat myself.

Since there are no AUC regulars on this board, I'll chime in...

AUC has ALL their clinicals at greenbook hospitals(vs. Ross's ~90%?). Ross's advantage is that you can get off their island in 16 months and leave the hellhole that is the Caribbean. (I meant hellhole the best possible way)

As for the UK clinical situation, all the students who goto the UK decided to go there not because the school made them go there. If you want a US spot, you might have to wait a few months but you'll get one. I heard Ross was the same situation in that you would have to wait a few months as well. (if any Ross students wants to clarify this, please do)

I would have to say Ross is more well known in the Northeast while AUC is more well known in Michigan, Louisiana, etc. You also have to factor in that Ross accepts 3-4 times more students than AUC.

I picked the one that suits my wife and I better but for others, they picked the one that suits them better. Do your research and you'll be fine. Both schools have been around for over 25 years and has thousands of graduates. You'll end up as an MD either way.

Good luck

microphage said:
AUC has ALL their clinicals at greenbook hospitals(vs. Ross's ~90%?).

I do not understand this sentence. What do you mean by "greenbook hospitals"....Greenbook in what? Greenbook in one medical specialty, ten specialties, or EVERY single specialty there is? If you go to ANY Carib. school, you have to do your 3rd and 4th years at multiple hospitals, some of which might not be affiliated with your Carib. school, if you want to be "100% greenbooked". Just because you are at Ross, SGU, or AUC does not mean that ALL your rotations are greenbook. You have to make sure that your rotation is "greenbook" yourself, regardless what school you are at.

I do not believe ANY Carib. School that claims that ALL their rotations are "greenbook". How the hell do they know what rotations you want to do anyway?

Just because one does a Radiology rotation at a hospital that is "greenbooked" in IM, FP, OBGYN, peds, GS, Psychiatry, Neurosurgery, and Dermatology...DOES NOT mean that his/her Radiology rotation is also greenbook. Some States will not accept this Radiology rotation, and will not count it towards lisencure. Some States require that you do your radiology rotation at a hospital that is specificly greenbooked in Radiology.

Just my 2 cents.

How about if I restated it as Core clerkships... does that work for ya? ;)

krust3 said:

Some things that might be influential about your experience at Ross is your ability to adapt to a different lifestyle as well as your life experiences. For example, if you've done medical missions in third world countries... you might say to yourself, "this place ain't that bad." I've also noticed that, in general, the students who do well tend not to complain as much. Maybe they're more focused on getting themselves out, maybe they don't mind as much living here, who knows. But I think everyone will agree that if you're stressed out, even the little things will start to get to you. Having some good friends around you can make a world of difference. I've been fortunate enough to meet some great people here and I hope everyone does as well. I think being flexible is the key. Sometimes policies at Ross change from one semester to another which flusters some people. Don't let these things get to you. Recognize, adapt, and move on.

microphage said:
As for the UK clinical situation, all the students who goto the UK decided to go there not because the school made them go there. If you want a US spot, you might have to wait a few months but you'll get one. I heard Ross was the same situation in that you would have to wait a few months as well. (if any Ross students wants to clarify this, please do)

I don't know if Ross was in the same situation in the past but Ross does not currently have any clinical affiliations outside the U.S. except for the hospital here on the island. The people who do their rotations on the island are basically those with visa issues.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also chose Ross because of their match lists. At the time I was applying, I couldn't find anything about where or how well AUC grads matched into residencies.

However, I must admit that all the reasons I chose Ross over AUC are now at least a couple years old so please don't hold me to anything that's changed with AUC cause I just haven't kept with it.

just thought i'd put in my 2 cents...

I'm a 4th year Ross student, started in 2001, no setbacks. Back when I started, the GPA rule was 2.6. From what I've been reading, it's now 2.9. Quite interesting.

I've done my boards, and have 8 weeks of rotations left. I've done rotations in NY, Ohio, and Maryland.

Most of what was stated above, is quite correct.

In terms of the low board scores, many people in my class did fail step 1 on the first attempt, i know at least 8-10 that did. It's unfortunate. Maybe that is why they have increased the GPA....?????

My class had a very disorganized Miami semester, due to the 1 year anniversary of 9/11. Most of us just partied and enjoyed the free time.

In terms of board review, some do Kaplan, some just read review books..alot depends on finances and amount of time available to study, as kaplan does take alot of time.

One important thing i've noticed, and i'm sure it applies to all carib med schools is that, most of the rotations in NY have an extremely high number of students per rotation. Example, Wyckoff (Brooklyn)...40 students in a surgery rotation as compared to Huron (Cleveland)....10 students....
From what i've been through, the best rotations are OUTSIDE of new york. Unfortunately, they also have the longest waiting list, so planning ahead is essential.

One thing good about Ross, is that you can book your schedule up to 1 year in advance. I've met SABA students, not knowing where they will end up the next month. I'm not sure about AUC students, but i can find out.

Ross currently has some administration difficulties, as it can take days to hear back from a phone call. Sometimes it can take 3 phone calls with messages to get a reply.

Another good thing about Ross, is that the ICM in semester 4, and the physical examination exam in Miami, ADEQUATELY prepare you for CSA. This is a good thing! With enough practice and review, anyone will pass the CSA!

hope this helps.

awdc said:
I don't know if Ross was in the same situation in the past but Ross does not currently have any clinical affiliations outside the U.S. except for the hospital here on the island. The people who do their rotations on the island are basically those with visa issues.

I didn't mean that Ross had to do rotations outside the US but rather, Ross students sometimes had to wait months before starting their first rotation (Not sure if this is true though).

microphage said:
I didn't mean that Ross had to do rotations outside the US but rather, Ross students sometimes had to wait months before starting their first rotation (Not sure if this is true though).

Not really true. After you take and pass your USMLE STEP 1, Ross will quickly make up a clinical schedule for you (based on your prefereces, and availability), sometimes quicker than you hope (I only had 5 days to pack and move to a new city). At that point you are faced with two options; Accept the schedule that Ross made for you, or Decline it. Now if you decline the clinical schedule that was made for you, then you might face some delays. Some students do not accept their clinical schedule because they want to stay in the same city, or want to do their rotations at specific hospitals. You see, Ross will try to accomidate your rotation preferences as much as possible, but sometimes they cannot, and have to place you in whatever is available so that you can graduate in time to make the match.

So, if you are flexable and accept the clinical schedule that was made for you by Ross, then you will not have any delays. And even if you have gaps in between your Cores, you can always fill those gaps with Electives.

Hope this helps.

Yes, you can accept the clinical rotations, but they won't be the "good" rotations....as long as you dont' mind 40-50 people in your rotation...you can't really learn much if you are in the back of a crowd of people standing in a narrow hospital hallway....

I was given a "schedule" shortly after obtaining step 1 results.......I had heard from reliable sources that they were horrible rotations...why would I want to waste more money??? I did not accept my rotation and showed up at the Ross Office in Jersey and demanded they change my schedule (without appointment, which ticked them off)...:) I had my entire schedule changed and filled the gaps with electives as stated above....

For those starting rotations...the best bet is to know someone who is going through or completed rotations....and can advise you....

good luck....

ALMD2B said:
Yes, you can accept the clinical rotations, but they won't be the "good" rotations....

Well, not always. It really depends on your luck. Some students are lucky and receive "good" rotations and never have to change anything. Others are not so lucky, and end up with "sub-optimal" rotations, thus needing to change their schedule.

I totally agree with ALMD2B, that you should ask someone who already completed the SAME rotation that you will be doing, and ask him/her about his/her advice. However, do not rely completely on their advice (trust YOUR instinct). I once did a Core at a hospital that my friend recommended which turned out to be more like a "boot camp" in HELL.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how long it takes to set up elective rotations? Do you have to apply months in advance for those?

microphage said:
I was wondering how long it takes to set up elective rotations? Do you have to apply months in advance for those?

It depends where you want to do your elective at, and what type of elective. In general, if you want to do electives at the Ross affiliated hospitals in NYC, all what it takes is a 5 minute phone call to the hospital, and you are set. Some hospitals like Maimonides require a very simple " application", but it is just protocol (no big deal, takes 1 minute to complete).

Now although setting up electives at the Ross affiliated hospitals is generaly easy, they are on a first come first serve basis. MOST electives are always available, however some electives at particular hospitals fill up quickly. If you want to do an elective at a particular hospital and you know that this particular elective fills up very quickly, then you might have to call the hospital well in advance to reserve a slot.

I cannot speak for hospitals that are not affiliated with Ross.

:luck:

ALMD2B said:
Another good thing about Ross, is that the ICM in semester 4, and the physical examination exam in Miami, ADEQUATELY prepare you for CSA. This is a good thing! With enough practice and review, anyone will pass the CSA!

For the newbies out there, what was formerly called the "CSA" (Clinical Skills Assessment) is now USMLE Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills). USMLE Step 2 now has two parts to it, the CS and the CK (Clinical Knowledge). So we now take the same exact exams, no more and no less, as U.S. med students.

^^ thats what I am talking about :) Woo hoooooo

ALMD2B said:
Yes, you can accept the clinical rotations, but they won't be the "good" rotations....as long as you dont' mind 40-50 people in your rotation...you can't really learn much if you are in the back of a crowd of people standing in a narrow hospital hallway...

(1) I've never been in a rotation that had 40-50 students. In fact, I'm completing an elective right now at a Ross-only affiliate hospital in NY, and I'm the only student. There are other Ross students at this hospital, but I'm the only one doing this rotation. (I'm having an incredible experience, too, by the way.)

(2) Nonetheless, these supposedly "huge" rotations also often include AUC students, side-by-side, with Ross students (as well as other schools). And, this includes both the Medicine and Surgery core rotations offered at Wyckoff, as well as many electives there too. So, your implied point of superiority about about AUC vs. Ross in this regard doesn't hold water. Wyckoff is a Caribbean doctor factory.

Just thought you might like to know that.

-Skip

As a Ross Grad and a frequent visitor to the caribbean, AUC would have been my choice in retrospect....Med school is what you make of it:No doubt one has to be resourcefull and self-motivating.This goes for both the classroom and clinical rotations.....some lectureres and many rotations are simply bad. Dominica and Grenada are nice islands in themselves but lack of diversity could be as detrimental as having too many choices. I would have much better liked to have spent my down time on a nice beach or in a clean bar/restaurant, or going to the movie theater than hanging out at the Ross campus for having simply nothing better to do. Plus it is much easier to fly in to/out of St Martin...much much much easier.