Aud Rotations for 2017 Historical AOA match- programs move to NRMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxy17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok Setting up Audition rotations summer- fall 2016 for 2017 match.. with historically DO residencies through AOA match.. could I get in trouble by thinking I can sign up for AOA match but then some of the programs move to NRMP match? Or even if they are dually accredited will the programs be available for the earlier match? TO simplify say I audition 2 programs, get interviews etc etc want to rank them 1 and 2 but horror of horrors one moves to the NRMP match and is no longer available? Or am I missing something.

Members don't see this ad.

I think at this dynamic and uncertain point in the transition, the safest and most reliable thing is you have to contact the individual programs directly about what their intentions are and what they anticipate will happen. If you don't feel comfortable contacting your prospective program directly yourself, perhaps have a classmate do it for you and you do the same for them. I am sorry I don't have any reliable or reputable sources to back up my advice, however, this would seem to be the most logical and confident approach. Applicants for the next 2-3 years are going to have to be contacting programs abundantly to find out where the program stands on their accreditation progress and plans for match participation.

Also, you can wait quite a bit of time to register for either or both matches. Perhaps wait until you have attended a certain number of interviews. I personally didn't even complete my registration for the AOA match until the week before rank lists were due, because I didn't know whether the only dual-accredited program I was applying to was my number one over all the other ACGME-accredited programs I was looking at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok Setting up Audition rotations summer- fall 2016 for 2017 match.. with historically DO residencies through AOA match.. could I get in trouble by thinking I can sign up for AOA match but then some of the programs move to NRMP match? Or even if they are dually accredited will the programs be available for the earlier match? TO simplify say I audition 2 programs, get interviews etc etc want to rank them 1 and 2 but horror of horrors one moves to the NRMP match and is no longer available? Or am I missing something.

For this cycle, there has been 1 program (from my personal experience) that is dually accredited and decided to move all their spots to the ACGME match. In the past, they had been splitting their spots 50/50 between both matches. I did not know this until I showed up on interview day.

Best thing to do is call each program and ask which match/how many spots for each match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also to be clear, you could just register for both matches in the scenario you described. You don't have to register for the NRMP from now, you can pretty much wait until even after your interviews to make that decision (Dec/Jan). Its completely up to them which match they participate in, so contacting them is the best way to find out. They also may change their mind halfway through, but in that event, you can't really do anything about it.

For this cycle, there has been 1 program (from my personal experience) that is dually accredited and decided to move all their spots to the ACGME match. In the past, they had been splitting their spots 50/50 between both matches. I did not know this until I showed up on interview day.

This unfortunately happened to me to with one dually accredited AOA/ACGME program who decided in January to put all their spots in ACGME match and none in AOA, after telling applicants they would put 80% of spots in AOA and 20% ACGME.

It sounded like they were receiving pressure from someone nationally to do this as programs transition to one match. Their rational was that DOs can participate in either match so it didn't matter. Programs can make these changes up until right before the match deadlines so there's not much you can do about it when planning audition rotations, except maybe doing an extra audition rotation or 2 if you can.

I doubt it will happen with AOA programs who are just now starting to apply to for dual accreditation, but each year a few more programs are switching over.

This unfortunately happened to me to with one dually accredited AOA/ACGME program who decided in January to put all their spots in ACGME match and none in AOA, after telling applicants they would put 80% of spots in AOA and 20% ACGME.

It sounded like they were receiving pressure from someone nationally to do this as programs transition to one match. Their rational was that DOs can participate in either match so it didn't matter. Programs can make these changes up until right before the match deadlines so there's not much you can do about it when planning audition rotations, except maybe doing an extra audition rotation or 2 if you can.

I doubt it will happen with AOA programs who are just now starting to apply to for dual accreditation, but each year a few more programs are switching over.
Do you know if those former-AOA programs switching to the ACGME still take the COMLEX?

Do you know if those former-AOA programs switching to the ACGME still take the COMLEX?

I'm under the impression that all ACGME programs will take the COMLEX post-merger (this does not imply than current-ACGME programs have to LIKE the COMLEX or appreciate a good score on it-- just that you can apply with it).

I'm under the impression that all ACGME programs will take the COMLEX post-merger (this does not imply than current-ACGME programs have to LIKE the COMLEX or appreciate a good score on it-- just that you can apply with it).
Got it. Due to the nature of how uncertain things are, I assume it would be wise to take both no matter what.

wow...did not know this was happening. makes me wish I was in a class before all this or after its all been worked out.

we're guinea pigs!