audio note taking software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the new Bestbuy commerical they show a kid whose computer automatically transcribed the lecture for him. What software is that?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk. It seems like it could really save some time and just let you listen to the lecture with out having to worry about writing.

I don't think the accuracy rate is very good...and I imagine you'd want concise notes.

Idk. It seems like it could really save some time and just let you listen to the lecture with out having to worry about writing.

While true, the process of taking notes is not only to create notes that you can use later though. By taking notes you are forcing yourself to pay close attention to what is taught. I would assume if you simply depend on the recording software then you allow yourself to get distracted with other things and as a result your memory retention of the material, especially in the short-term might not be as strong.

However, if you simply incorporate the software to the notes you take yourself, sort of like what people that simply use a voice recorder do, then I guess it is not a bad idea.

Basically, don't depend on it completely, still pay attention and take your own notes as well.

I would assume if you simply depend on the recording software then you allow yourself to get distracted with other things

That's kinda what I'd bank on. Having it take notes for me gives me more time to chill. :D

On the new Bestbuy commerical they show a kid whose computer automatically transcribed the lecture for him. What software is that?

It's probably not even real software. Those ads usually have a "screen images simulated" aka "your computer will never do this" disclaimer somewhere.

Oh I've seen that commercial, I'm not sure what software that is but I know they have some iTunes apps which allow you to record and take notes

While true, the process of taking notes is not only to create notes that you can use later though. By taking notes you are forcing yourself to pay close attention to what is taught. I would assume if you simply depend on the recording software then you allow yourself to get distracted with other things and as a result your memory retention of the material, especially in the short-term might not be as strong.

However, if you simply incorporate the software to the notes you take yourself, sort of like what people that simply use a voice recorder do, then I guess it is not a bad idea.

Basically, don't depend on it completely, still pay attention and take your own notes as well.

This. Note taking is part of the learning process. You really don't need to know every word your professor said verbatim because usually you have their notes, ppt, recorded lectures and a textbook to supplement your own notes.