Auditing pre-rec classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LasVegasNV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Very happy to be here.I just wanted to get your thoughts on auditing pre-recs beforehand in an effort to maintain a higher GPA. Will it show on my transcripts, and will it hurt me when applying to dental schools? I'm just wondering how you guys excelled in some of the more challenging courses? Looking at possibly hiring a tutor. I'm a non trad student(in my 30s) did getting ahold of the syllabus ahead of time really do any good? Thank you for any thoughts/ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of that, it's not really worth the time. No class is too hard that would require taking it twice to do well. Maybe just start off with a lighter load and build up once you have the science basics down. If you can't handle the prereq science classes in 12 hr semesters then you prob will have a hard time in dental school with 24 hr semesters. Might as well see what you're made of. Tutor prob isn't a bad idea to get you started. You can do it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont audit the classes, just take what you think you can handle. Stay motivated and instead of study definitions shift your focus on actual problems (Chemistry/Physics) and the actual cycles (Bio/Anatomy) such as the krebs and carbon cycle.

Auditing the class will just take more additional time that u dont need

If an audit is needed, maybe a reassessment of dentistry as the ultimate goal, is on order.

If an audit is needed, maybe a reassessment of dentistry as the ultimate goal, is on order.
This made me chuckle a bit when I saw it. I work full time and have maintained a 4.0 the last two years(my school doesn't do A- A+). I'm just nervous about doing the best I can at some of the upper level classes. Any helpful thoughts/ideas? Hasn't anybody here audited a class they were nervous about before hand to build confidence and boost their final grade/understanding? I used to play football/other sports and learned that even if not as naturally talented as another you could out work the other said person through shear determination. P.S. I'm not a dullard by any means, just willing to put in any time/work necessary to achieve my goals.

Last edited:
I never have... but why not if you have the time??? good luck

This made me chuckle a bit when I saw it. I work full time and have maintained a 4.0 the last two years(my school doesn't do A- A+). I'm just nervous about doing the best I can at some of the upper level classes. Any helpful thoughts/ideas? Hasn't anybody here audited a class they were nervous about before hand to build confidence and boost their final grade/understanding? I used to play football/other sports and learned that even if not as naturally talented as another you could out work the other said person through shear determination. P.S. I'm not a dullard by any means, just willing to put in any time/work necessary to achieve my goals.

Hi, I am a non-trad student as well and did not have a science background. The last Chem/Bio class I took was 8 years ago so I was really nervous about signing up for a full course load this September (2013) to complete my pre-requisites. Now that I am half way through my semester, I've realized that my anxiety before signing up for the courses was mostly in my head. Don't get me wrong, I am working very hard now in school, but once you are in the situation it seems a lot more do-able. If you were getting 4.0 in school, and you have the time for it now, you can do it no problem. Good Luck!!

me too,Agreed, I don't think it is worth it to audit if you're already in your 30s, just jump right in with a tutor, you can do it.thanks
ab