August,2002, Comlex step 2 deleted questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Wiz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who feels, NBOME has gone too far by deleting the 24 questions from book two?
Additionally, is there anyone else who feels, they should be forced to hand score book 2 and report this score?
Doctor Lee:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I think I got most of those questions wrong, so I'm glad they threw them out. I found out that I passed Level 2 yesterday, so I'm a happy little MS-IV.

Hey, Wanna be,
Perfect! It does not matter what is right or wrong... as long as YOU passed!
This is exactly what is wrong with the NBOME and the Osteopathic profession in general. What about the people who will follow us? Why should they have to put up with the same mistakes? Shouldn't WE be making inprovements?
I came to this profession to make this a better world. And while I can not change it very much, I will do my part. NO matter what the personal cost.
What about you?
Doctor Lee

Members don't see this ad :)
With ~ 800 questions 24 more or less will not change the final score significantly. I agree that NBOME should never have let this happen but grading the books by hand may not be the best solution. If you grade all of the books by hand their are bound to be a huge number of mistakes made by the graders as they get tired. You may get credit for wrong answers or penalized for mistakes you did not make. I think that this would have taken a long time - thereby penalizing those of us who want/need the score for our residency apps.

What I thought was unfair was that they spent ~ 10 mins at our location talking about what we should do during the test. Then they did not allow an extra 10 mins at the end. This did not cause me problems as I finished early but I do know people who need every last second.

I agree with the poster in the other forum that you need to get a lawyer if you are serious about challenging the NBOME. It's doubtful they will listen to you if you don't have some legal muscle backing you up.

Hey, Wanna Be,
It's Cool, don't worry, thanks:)

You must have passed the exam?
In any event, there is somewhat less than 800 questions. Approx. 770. 24 questions is three percent of the exam. I scored 398! How many of those 24 questions would I have had to answer correctly to have passed?
Yes, I am angry about the mix-up of the booklets, the time taken from the exam, Failing! And not to mention the "screw-with-your-head, while taking an extremly important exam FACTOR.
Some of the things bothering me the most are, after all these year of giving this exam... it should be strait forward. By the way in a recent conversation, when asked "If I agree to take your exam again, will you guarantee me there will be no problems?" The NBOME said they could not or would not give me that guarantee!
The stated purpose of the exam is for examinees to demonstrate a level of knowledge consistant to practice medicine at that level. Well, I don't think this is what they are measuring. I think they are scoreing each examinee against the performance of the others. This is in no way a measurment of our level of knowlege, it is simply my relative performace compared to the other examinees on that particular test on that day!
Please all of you join me in writing to the NBOME and tell them what you are experiencing. What is and is not acceptable.
I have spoken to many others in this profession, who have been around for years, and they all say the test is not worth the paper it is written on and everyone knows it. Well, I believe it is up to us to change this. I will do all I can alone if necessary but, it would be extremly helpful to have some assistances.
Thanks, Doctor Lee

I am willing to help too!!!

Hey BookerT,
Cool! Our numbers have tripled!
That makes three of us.:D
Be well, Dr Wiz

Actually, there were only 750 questions on the August COMLEX II test. The books broke down into 190, 188, 187, and 185 questions for the 4 books respectively.

I was fortunate in that I passed, but I agree that the decision of the NBOME to throw those questions out was just wrong! I would also be upset if I had a 398 and thought I had gotten most if not all of those questions correct.

I also want to state that I think it is time the NBOME move into the new millenium and put the test on computer! We are disadvantaged over our allopathic counterparts in that our test is only offered twice a year, and that it takes EIGHT weeks to get results!!!!! USMLE results are back in FOUR weeks!!!! I mean if you take COMLEX Step 2 in January of your 4th year and fail it, then you are screwed for the start of your residency unless you are in a state that does not require a passing score on Step 2.

Our allopathic friends can wait until later in their fourth year and take it if they wish and if they fail, they still can take it again and pass it in time to start! Now, for most residencies I know they want Step 2 scores on your application, but some like most FM, IM and Peds residencies do not require it.

I just do not believe the NBOME is handling the COMLEX exams very well.

Best of luck in whatever avenue you guys choose go down on this issue!

BamaDoc,
Thanks for the numbers.
While I do agree with you about it being time for the NBOME to join the 21st century. I offer you these thoughts. If they can not even get it correct on paper, do You want to be the first to take their exam on a medium which they are not familar? Can you just imagine how many ways they can screw That up?
Thank you for you encouragement. However, it is not "us Guys" who need to do somthing about this. It is all of us. Those who passed, those who failed and those who must take this exam in the future. If nothing changes... nothing changes!
Please, all of you who read this do somthing, anything. Write, send emails. call, whatever it takes to tell NBOME enough is enough.
Be Well, Doc Wiz:clap:

DocWhiz,

By 'you guys' I meant those who might use possible legal actions. I believe it will take you and a few others with the threat of some legal action with the help of an attorney to get any type of relief.

I have let my feelings be know to the NBOME in the past. However, as you can see it has not changed anything! But, I will continue to give them my opinion.

Doc Wiz,
Is there a way to contact you outside of the forum? By e-mail, etc. let me know.

Hey BookerT,
I think if you check my profile you will find my email address.
If not, post again and I will put it up.
Doc Wiz