August 6th MCAT Score Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jamilla_w

We are next people.

How is everyone feeling about the exam now that we have seen a few more MCATs given and the July 24th score?

I am feeling a little optimistic after seeing today's scores but I think that our PS was harder than other people seem to... not good for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just hoping the AAMC doesn't push back the release date like they did with my last MCAT. I took my first one on 5/31 (a Thurs.), so the wait was already >30 days because they don't release scores on weekends, but then it was pushed back to 7/6 partly because of July 4th. That was a really long 37 day wait. Hopefully ours doen't get pushed back because of Labor Day.

I'm just hoping the AAMC doesn't push back the release date like they did with my last MCAT. I took my first one on 5/31 (a Thurs.), so the wait was already >30 days because they don't release scores on weekends, but then it was pushed back to 7/6 partly because of July 4th. That was a really long 37 day wait. Hopefully ours doen't get pushed back because of Labor Day.

Ugh. That would be awful.

Are you feeling better about the exam with time? I feel really bad about the PS.

i have already accepted the fact that i probably did horrible, thus, im only hoping for mid 20's. lol

i have already accepted the fact that i probably did horrible, thus, im only hoping for mid 20's. lol

Sorry you feel that way, but I'm glad I'm not alone, lol. I talked to people afterwards who had the same form as me and they thought it was easy and just like VR.

i have my insurance, i registered for the september 11th exam, so if i dont get a respectable score when its released on the sixth, ill retake on the 11th. if i do well enough (unlikely) ill void my sept11th registration.

i have my insurance, i registered for the september 11th exam, so if i dont get a respectable score when its released on the sixth, ill retake on the 11th. if i do well enough (unlikely) ill void my sept11th registration.

That's probably smart. I don't know why some schools don't take September scores... I'd understand if that was your only MCAT but if you take it to supplement your application and they haven't decided your fate yet it couldn't hurt them to consider it.

That's probably smart. I don't know why some schools don't take September scores... I'd understand if that was your only MCAT but if you take it to supplement your application and they haven't decided your fate yet it couldn't hurt them to consider it.

yeah thats true. most do accept september scores though. i just really dont want to be stuck another year with nothing to do.(graduated in june)

It's do or die for me. The Aug 6 MCAT was my last shot. If it didn't turn out well, it's off to the islands for me.:(

Members don't see this ad :)

The schools that don't take Sept. MCAT scores are probably the ones that require a complete AMCAS by early October... the scores wouldn't be out in time for their deadline.

I felt a lot better coming out of this exam than I did the last one. With the first one, I came out of there feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck, this time I felt good. PS was weird, I didn't know what to make of some of those passages (meteors, anyone?), but I felt a lot better about VR this time than last time, and I finished BS really fast.

The schools that don't take Sept. MCAT scores are probably the ones that require a complete AMCAS by early October... the scores wouldn't be out in time for their deadline.

I felt a lot better coming out of this exam than I did the last one. With the first one, I came out of there feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck, this time I felt good. PS was weird, I didn't know what to make of some of those passages (meteors, anyone?), but I felt a lot better about VR this time than last time, and I finished BS really fast.

Oh, okay. Now I understand why they don't take the scores. Thanks.

Were you accurate last time about how you thought you did? I wouldn't be surprised if I missed every single meteor passage question. I guessed on half of them.

And you got a 12 last time? Wow. I feel better now, lol. Good luck.

I got a 13 on the PS from May 25th and I thought this one was hard as hell. Maybe I just had a major meltdown or something during the exam. I hope everyone thought it was hard, or im screwed. I didnt even have time to randomly guess on the last two discretes and i rushed the last 3 passages. I dont even wanna start to count how many i couldve missed. The VR and BS werent bad though. Im just really worried about PS...

I got a 13 on the PS from May 25th and I thought this one was hard as hell. Maybe I just had a major meltdown or something during the exam. I hope everyone thought it was hard, or im screwed. I didnt even have time to randomly guess on the last two discretes and i rushed the last 3 passages. I dont even wanna start to count how many i couldve missed. The VR and BS werent bad though. Im just really worried about PS...

I thought it was really hard as well. I took another MCAT the next week because I know I bombed the PS.

I thought it was really hard as well. I took another MCAT the next week because I know I bombed the PS.

But see...i would never take another MCAT until get my first MCAT scores back.

I thought i bombed the May 25th PS section and got a 13...

But see...i would never take another MCAT until get my first MCAT scores back.

I thought i bombed the May 25th PS section and got a 13...

I figure when you have to almost randomly select answers for a whole passage or two it's not going to be good news. :) The retake went much better.

Why were you retaking with such a great PS score on 5/25?

I figure when you have to almost randomly select answers for a whole passage or two it's not going to be good news. :) The retake went much better.

Why were you retaking with such a great PS score on 5/25?

"6" in VR Fu*ked up my overall score and BS didnt go as well as my practices, got a "10".

Also, I randomly selected answers for a a few of the passages on the aug 6th PS too. I guess i wasnt the only one...

I think my main problem was that I didnt pace myself well and started to run short on time towards the end...

Im predicting:

PS: 8

VR: 9

BS: 13+

These predictions are based solely on my gut feeling after the exam...

That would be one crappy 30. I got a 13/6/10 (PS/VR/BS) on May 25th and a 5 point drop on PS will look very very bad. Im really hoping that doesnt happen...

This was my first MCAT and I thought it was manageable. I don't really know what the outcome will be, though! The only real problem I had was timing; every section, I fell behind, but still was able to answer every question. Anyone else think the test FFFFLLLLLEEEWWW by???

this was my first MCAT as well, don't have a clue as to how i did..physi sci seemed harder than any of practice tests, and there was a question about inertia that I wasn't even aware we had to be familiar with (formula-wise)...i think i got newhere from a 27-33

ten more days...

I'm with you on the PS...I was just thinking today what an absolute meltdown I had on the PS...I was guessing on the last few questions because I ran out of time. ERGH!!!

I think I'm the same just flipped around...

prediction:
PS- 7
VR- 12
BS- 9
WS: prob S like last time

I got distracted in verbal because of my craptastic PS performance.

The PS curve will be big (See Kaplan poll results below), but I don't think it will help me much. I can't imagine many people doing worse than I did.

Which section of your exam did you find MOST difficult?

Physical Sciences 47% (It was 35% for the August 16th & 20th exams & 31% for the infamous July 24th exam)
Verbal Reasoning 39%
Writing Sample 2%
Biological Sciences 12%

http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=83

I got distracted in verbal because of my craptastic PS performance.

The PS curve will be big (See Kaplan poll results below), but I don't think it will help me much. I can't imagine many people doing worse than I did.

Which section of your exam did you find MOST difficult?

Physical Sciences 47% (It was 35% for the August 16th & 20th exams & 31% for the infamous July 24th exam)
Verbal Reasoning 39%
Writing Sample 2%
Biological Sciences 12%

http://surveys.kaptest.com/instantanalysis/mcat/blog/?p=83

Holy cow...looks like the PS on that test was by far one of the hardest ever! I'm glad I wasn't the only one sitting there thinking every neuron I'd ever had decided to quit firing during the PS. I guess we beat the infamous July 24thers by a significant portion!

Keep me posted on your scores -- and I'm SURE you'll do better than you thought!!

Just out of curiosity how are you preppin for the sept 11 exam? I did the same thing you did but I can't bring myself to study

Just out of curiosity how are you preppin for the sept 11 exam? I did the same thing you did but I can't bring myself to study

The worst part of studying after you've taken it once and are waiting for your score is realizing the mistakes you made when going over material. :barf:

The worst part of studying after you've taken it once and are waiting for your score is realizing the mistakes you made when going over material. :barf:

The worst part of that is realizing that those are just the mistakes you remember.

An inspirational quote to hold us in our lengthy moment of trepidation is overdue.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

The worst part of that is realizing that those are just the mistakes you remember.

An inspirational quote to hold us in our lengthy moment of trepidation is overdue.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

SO true. Not knowing how many other mistakes you made or questions you got wrong is enough to lose sleep at night!

Wonder if it would help if people didn't get their scores immediately after taking practice MCATs ;) then you can get used to not knowing... sort of.

Yeah - I actually usually rushed through the BS section (on practice tests) just because I was anxious to see my score! This led to an unfortunate amount of careless mistakes, though! :laugh:

Were you accurate last time about how you thought you did? I wouldn't be surprised if I missed every single meteor passage question. I guessed on half of them.

My gut feeling about each section on my first MCAT was: I thought I rocked PS (13+), but I got an 11. I didn't know how I felt I did on VR, all I knew was it did not go well, and I got a 7. I didn't think BS went well b/c I was half asleep during most of that section, but I got a 14.

Moral of the story is that I can't predict how I did worth a darn.

I'm really scared for verbal. I remember at least 5 questions that I was totally zapped by... that passage on European politics?! A couple q's of the invention passage? Some of those analogies were so obtuse... I was testing around a 10 or an 11 but I could see this plummeting to a 6 or a 7.

My gut feeling about each section on my first MCAT was: I thought I rocked PS (13+), but I got an 11. I didn't know how I felt I did on VR, all I knew was it did not go well, and I got a 7. I didn't think BS went well b/c I was half asleep during most of that section, but I got a 14.

Moral of the story is that I can't predict how I did worth a darn.

Well, i really cant predict worth shi*t either. On may 25th i thought i bombed PS (7-8) and got a 13, thought verbal went well and got a 6, and thought i nailed BS (12-13) and got a 10.

Everything worked out backwards...

It's do or die for me. The Aug 6 MCAT was my last shot. If it didn't turn out well, it's off to the islands for me.:(

As someone who has lived on islands for quite a few years, I think you would enjoy that experience.

im only working on verbal. i dont think i can learn much more of the sciences, so im just working on my reading comprehension, which should help me out with ps and the bs sections as well. you? as for the ps. im just going over my equation sheets.

Well I've laid off these boards since Aug. 7th till now... a week and a day. It took me too long to figure out how to sign up for another MCAT [where one has to remove their SSN# to get it to work] so this is my last shot. Just hoping everyone did worse than I (think I) did.

At least I have college football to kill the weekend!

I wish they would release the scores a day early (Sept 4th) so that people could sign up for the Sept 11th MCAT in case they didn't do well. People who are registered for the 9/11 test would also be able to cancel and save some money.

Is it true that we are applying so late it doesn't really matter what score we get? We are basically competing for wait list spots? Some snotty girl told me this today when I said that I was nervous about my score.