August graduation and Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajanedo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to an unavoidable Leave of Absence I will not graduate until Aug 2010. Does that mean I cannot participate in Match? Are there residency programs with a late start date? I really don't want to waste away for eleven months before I start residency, does anyone know of any options?
Please help!:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

so thanks, for closing the previous thread on the allopathic side. i was hoping to get some different ideas from both sides, as i was planning on participating in both matches. bummers.

First I'll say RELAX. Now that you are ready to strangle me. I am speaking from experience. I am currently a 2nd and 1/2 year ER resident (see where this is going...:D) I had a munchkin in 4th year and I actually was not able to start residency until mid Nov. Now that being said I was in your position and scared to death that I'd have to wait till July 1.

Just understand that the likelihood of you matching is slim but not impossible. Unless they have changed the rules since I did the match, in order to scramble you must participate in the match. Scrambling is your best option. What I did was throw in a few reasonable match sites (don't waste your money on a bunch especially if you have not already talked with them about your situation and have agreed to look at you) and rest up for the scramble. When scramble time comes around what I did was start at the top and called every one of them until I had a list of those who would take me late. YES they do exist and you can actually find good programs this way.

Programs that don't match need to fill their spots and just lilke the students scrambling to find a position, the program is scrambling to find a match too. They loose funding if they don't fill their spots. Be patient, hang in there and I am sure you will find something. And if you don't then wait till July. At least give it a shot. Remember do not rank a program that you have no intention of going to if by some chance they rank you too!

If you ever have any questions I'd be glad to help.

When interviewing you could also bring up the fact that you could take vacation in July (& depending on what date you graduate), some "study days" in August.....kind of a long shot but worth a try.

Good Luck.