August MCAT - The Countdown Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2ecila

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Since August is edging closer and closer, its time for me to start seriously studying for the MCAT. Any words of advice from all of you who just took the April MCAT? If you are taking the August test, what is your study plan?

Woohoo - this is going to be one fun summer studying!!!!

later gaters,
alice
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by u2ecila:
•Hi Everyone!

Since August is edging closer and closer, its time for me to start seriously studying for the MCAT. Any words of advice from all of you who just took the April MCAT? If you are taking the August test, what is your study plan?

later gaters,
alice
:cool: •••••ask us when we get our test scores back =D Until then, use kaplan books to review science knowledge.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by u2ecila:
Hi Everyone!

later gaters,
alice :cool: ••••Start as early as possible.

The MCAT is a conceptual exam. To me, memorizing facts on review books could only get you a 10. Understanding materials as clear as prep courses would teach you pulls you up to an 11. However, in order to get 12+, you need to put in tremendous amount of work, or if you're brilliant, be thankful.

For science materials, I used Kap, PR and Examcrackers (last 1 wk). I consider that Kap and PR contain too much infos. Examcrackers contains too little. You don't need to memorize details, but know the basic by heart. Ironically, sometimes that suggests intensed memorization.

For exams, I used AAMC, Kap, PR and Columbia. I used these exams to consolidate my knowledge. I recommend jotting down any detail you find useful on a sheet of paper for each exam. By end of the studying season, hopefully, you'll be able to review each exam in less than 10 mins.

Go back to the books for topics you find strange. At this stage, once you understand the concepts, more memorization would help.

A colleague of mine studied for only a month or so and got 38R. Maybe she's just bright.

Though I have my own reason for careful planning, I understand that most of us are human, and so to get excellent scores, we need to put in the work.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd reccomend taking as many practice exams as you can!!! Use them to get a feel for how long the test is, and how many questions are asked. I'm glad I took as many as I did - I was ready for a long day, and I was able to gauge my time (and doing writing samples in half an hour helped increase my confidence, I didn't spend five minutes worrying about it and actually finished with enough time to edit my essays).

hey,
i took examkrackers for the april mcat.
i thought the course was excellent- i just didn't put enough time into studying b/c i'm working full-time right now too.
so i'm planning on taking the august mcat and i'm going to follow along with the EK class schedule posted on the internet. Practice tests are definitely key to doing well. I think more than just memorization, understanding the actual concepts is most important.
are any of you gonna be taking the test in boston??