SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

August PCAT

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by PharmChick007, Mar 26, 2007.

1. PharmChick007

PharmChick007 2+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Just to let those of you who don't know, the PCAT is offered in June, August, as well as October. A few people in the other forums didn't know that it would be offered 3 times this fall. I will probably take it June 23rd and August 25th. Late registration for the August test date is Aug 10th. That gives Harcourt 7 weeks to score our June PCAT and those who may need to take the Aug exam will still have time to do late registration. I think last year the scores took right at exactly 6 weeks. Hope I ace the June exam. I've started studying now. Good Luck to all!!! Just a little info.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nubian_princess

nubian_princess Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    so what are you doing in order to prepare yourself for the exam??:rolleyes:

4. PharmChick007

Nov 8, 2006
    I've got Kaplan 2007 and I ordered 2 books from amazon on calculus and organic chemistry. When I receive them, I'll post about them. I think Kaplan gives you a good overall review but many SDNers say the chemistry in Kaplan is a bit much. Barron's I think is pretty on par with Kaplan but with less chem. I really need to review the math and organic so that's where I'll be focusing.

5. norafena

norafena 2+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post. But I've been reading the posts for a while, it is a wonderful site with a wealth of info and advice.
    My question is, can I apply for both sessions June07 and Augus07? I did not apply yet, and I just started preparing for it.
    Thanks in advance.

6. PharmChick007

Nov 8, 2006
    I don't see how applying for both should be a problem. I'm taking both but not signing up for both at one time. I'm signing up for June sometime in April and I'll probably sign up for Aug the first week in june since the deadline is July 13th. The only issue I see is that you might not be able to sign up for both at the same time but that's easily rectified, just wait a few weeks then sign up/pay for August. On the other hand if you are in a city that doesn't have many testing sites then it wouldn't be a good idea to wait till the last minute to sign up for Aug. I waited last time and had to drive an hour and a half. Good Luck!

7. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

If this is your first time taking the PCAT and you will apply for admission for Fall 2008, then I would sign up for both. If you great on the June test, then everything is great. If you don't do so well, then you won't have to worry about missing a deadline or getting put in a test center location far from you.

8. Aires3k

Aires3k New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    To everyone prepping for the pcat u should know that it is totally in ur grasp to ace this exam. it will just take some hard work on your part. The exam doesnt focus on many of the difficult lengthy calculations ur kaplan prep book may put you through. The calculations will be alot simpler, so u do need to know them but they wont take as much time while ur testing. Is there any theory that missed you from a course? better know it because the exam focuses more on theory.

if the science factoids scare you, kaplan as well as other test prep sites have these cool cards that have info (chem, orgo, A&P, gen bio...etc)on em. run thru these stacks of cards once a day leading to test time. many are theory based but they they access all aspects of the test. The best thing about these is they re-familiarize you with those countless factoids such as orgo rxns.

Calculus is not too bad again its alot of theory and simple integrations and differentiations. Know Any formulas Kaplan says are important, many questions wont require them but there are some golden points to be had if only u have the correct info. If you have problems with math make sure to focus on this section, i did but i didn't do too shabby...

For the reading and vocabulary theres one thing u can do to boost both scores...buy a cheap vocab book and study sets of words and as many roots as u have time for. Also start to read articles related to science as well as politics. The info content may not help much but it could help u efficiently take in info on test day, this is one of the best things u can do.

do alota practice testing and work on ur endurance, its not as long as the mcat but u will be there for a while. be careful with your griding. The makers of the exam have practice tests that are actually older test questions from the real exam. if your really worried purchase one, u should see what i mean about the theory.

i did all of this and got an 88%. thats with my 32% reading score. honestly i don't know how that happened, musta had a mis grid incident or something because...yea, whatever. study hard children:thumbup:

9. think

think Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2006

wow! thanx for such great advice... did u get a 88 the first time u took pcat?? if not how did u do without alot of preparation ... i did really bad first time with little work but im studying alot for the august one so hopefully it will payoff