august retake mcat detrimetal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmm...

I yam what I yam
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this summer, but I am getting a growing feeling that I did bad on the April MCAT. will this drastically harm my application by delaying it?

p.s. where is the post what has all the schools' policies?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm... said:
I will be applying this summer, but I am getting a growing feeling that I did bad on the April MCAT. will this drastically harm my application by delaying it?

p.s. where is the post what has all the schools' policies?

Wait for your score in June before you make any decision either way. Most people I talked to feel bad about their performance and you should look to how you were scoring in your practice for more insight.

It will harm your application by delaying it. By the time the schools get your August MCAT they will already have begun the interview process and you will be late in the game compared to others. But it will really probably be detrimental if you are a borderline candidate. Theres just too many factors that no one can really judge.

i think i may be in the same boat. i feel that i did terribly on the April MCAT (using my practice tests as a guide). if i scored as badly as i think should i take the MCAT this august and have hurt chances to get in or would there be some advantage to waiting until next april?

Members don't see this ad :)
but if you wait until next april, you will have to apply in the next cycle and do something for a year after you senor year. I really don't want to sit idle, but also don't want to be rej from all medical schools because of waiting until aug. is nyu really anal about submitting early?

If you did Princeton Review practice tests, then your score was probably the same unless you had explosive diarrhea or other problems during the test.

Taking the August MCAT is NOT a good idea unless you did really bad on the April MCAT. It delays your app too much.. need to start secondaries ASAP and get the interview invites coming.

EDIT:

Another consideration is that the MCAT does change format after August to computer based testing... so I think August is last dance with the paper and pencil exam.

hmm... said:
is nyu really anal about submitting early?

nyu actually finishes interviewing in December, so out of all the schools I applied to I'd probably say it's the one where it was most important to apply early.

Be that as it may... I didn't feel great about the MCAT after I took it either, and would up doing several points higher than I'd ever done before. So you never know... do your best not to sweat it for now. :luck:

Risa said:
nyu actually finishes interviewing in December, so out of all the schools I applied to I'd probably say it's the one where it was most important to apply early.

Be that as it may... I didn't feel great about the MCAT after I took it either, and would up doing several points higher than I'd ever done before. So you never know... do your best not to sweat it for now. :luck:

that is scary. are there any other schools like that?

perhaps I should call them to ask them how many acceptances completed aug mcats.

I will also be applying to some Canadian med schools since I am a Canadian citizen. I hope aug will not affect that.

if only you could tell NYU to look at april scores only and tell the rest to wait for aug scores. can one do that?

hmm... said:
if only you could tell NYU to look at april scores only and tell the rest to wait for aug scores. can one do that?

You may be able to pull that off.

Although the amcas goes to all schools and you check the August box, you can write or call NYU and tell them that you changed your mind and you want to be evaluated based on your April scores. I don't know how receptive they'd be, but for NYU specifically, it's probably a better shot than waiting for those August scores.

Why can't you simply apply over the summer, then resubmit a new set of scores while your app is pending? I remember colleges were fine with this sort of thing; I'm not sure why med schools have to be so difficult about it all, and force you to choose between applying early vs. retaking in August and getting a better score. Is there really some sort of box you check, where if you decide to have them look at your April score and make your app "complete," they refuse to consider any relevant data you might submit later on?

yeah, but they could have rejected you already. they can just look at the application, laugh heartily and throw it into the trash

hmm... said:
yeah, but they could have rejected you already. they can just look at the application, laugh heartily and throw it into the trash

Sure, but if you score so poorly the first time that the school you apply to summarily tosses your app, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to raise it enough the second time around to merit serious consideration. Ideally, you apply with a score that's within range so that you get your app into the system early, then submit an improved score later on. Obviously, if you get a 22 or something, applying in April probably isn't a great idea.

it depends on the school and when it interviews.

all of the UCs basically start interview in october, which will be when my scores will come in since i'll be taking august. others will still interview ahead of you, but if you have everything done, u can be interviewed in november i think.

so just find about schools. some interview in september or even late august, which is really bad for august takers.

i hope this is the case. even the berkeley career center site also says that taking aug mcat is bad for schools w/ rolling admissions. ack.