Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey, I am looking for some advice-

I am a US citizen and applied to dental schools in the US last year. After two interviews, I received no acceptances. I have a very low undergraduate GPA (around 3.0), but I'm currently working toward a post-bac degree and have higher grades in this program (3.8). I have a lot of volunteer hours and experience, but I scored a 21 on my DAT, so my overall application is still very mediocre.

I was recently accepted to dental school in Australia and was wondering if this is my best chance? I am supposed to complete my post-bac program in June 2016 and should be prepared to apply for 2018 entrance to dental schools. However, given my average application, I am not sure that the post-bac will swing my chances enough for me to be accepted to US schools.

I know it is incredibly difficult for international students to come back and practice in the US. Of course, ideally at some point in my life I would like to return here, but am not opposed to living abroad for the next decade of my life. I should also point out that I am a dual citizen of Canada, so while it is not preferable for me to live there, it is also a viable option once I have obtained my DMD in Australia.

So the big question: should I try my chances with US schools in 2018? Or should I jump on the Australia opportunity and deal with the consequences of a difficult transition back to the US?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

XZeRO

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Post Doc
Looks like you and I might be classmates. Greetings.

If you have the resources, why don't you apply for 2017 entry rather than 2018 with your 3.8 and 21DAT? Try and defer your Australian offer if you have doubts about taking the blue pill.

Wall2Wall

5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Foreign trained dentists would need to take the DAT fresh within the past two years and if accepted join the second year dental students.

OP
C
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the responses! I have only taken two classes as part of my post-bacc program so I don't think the 3.8 is really going to have much weight if i were to apply right now.

As for reentry as a foreign dentist, I believe it varies by state but most programs only require the NBDE 1 and not the DAT. They also only take about 2 years, so I don't think we'd backtrack to 2nd year, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Dentist
@choosegoose reapply in the U.S. going to australia won't make life easier for you here.

when you come back, you'll likely have to enroll in a 2-3 year program for international dentists and get a DDS/DMD. however i have heard of some states allowing foreign dental graduates to work (i believe it's something like 11-15 states allow this?). but if you were to come here straight from australia, you would have to work in one of those states for 5 years before being able to work anywhere in the U.S. it really isn't worth it, because you'll be spending more $$.

OP
C
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks Bis-GMA111, I completely agree that coming back is going to be a nightmare. My biggest hesitancy with turning it down, though, is that I might not even get into a US school if I try again. And then I'd have to completely give up on my dream of dentistry. I'd rather be a dentist abroad than not a dentist at all :/

Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Dentist
Hey, I am looking for some advice-

I am a US citizen and applied to dental schools in the US last year. After two interviews, I received no acceptances. I have a very low undergraduate GPA (around 3.0), but I'm currently working toward a post-bac degree and have higher grades in this program (3.8). I have a lot of volunteer hours and experience, but I scored a 21 on my DAT, so my overall application is still very mediocre.

I was recently accepted to dental school in Australia and was wondering if this is my best chance? I am supposed to complete my post-bac program in June 2016 and should be prepared to apply for 2018 entrance to dental schools. However, given my average application, I am not sure that the post-bac will swing my chances enough for me to be accepted to US schools.

I know it is incredibly difficult for international students to come back and practice in the US. Of course, ideally at some point in my life I would like to return here, but am not opposed to living abroad for the next decade of my life. I should also point out that I am a dual citizen of Canada, so while it is not preferable for me to live there, it is also a viable option once I have obtained my DMD in Australia.

So the big question: should I try my chances with US schools in 2018? Or should I jump on the Australia opportunity and deal with the consequences of a difficult transition back to the US?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
your stats are competitive. you could definitely get into one of the newer schools esp. since you're worried about your gpa. if that doesn't pan out, i would complete a masters and reapply. your dat score is quite good. i know people in dental school who received lower scores.

with your stats i'd say it's worth trying again. coming back to the U.S. to receive a DDS/DMD afterwards again, is more costly and time consuming. not to mention, the programs aren't easy to get into. you're competing with talented dentists from all over the world for an extremely limited number of seats. mind you, these international dentists aren't always necessarily just general dentists out of school...i've seen oral surgeons and prosthodontists