-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC c/o 2020 Applicants
Started by schnauzer27
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Almost there. Did Jack say the letters would be sent by june 15 or we would know by June 15?Yes! I am!! This has been the longest month of my life. 14(ish) days left to go!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where are you two applying from? Im in NSFrom what I remember, he said we should know around the 15th but I could be wrong. In previous threads, letters were received around the 15th as well.
I applying from NB, when I talked to him I thought he said they were hoping to have them sent out before the 15th. So I think ideally we should hear the week of the 154th. He did say if they weren't going to have them out in time they would email the letters
Best of luck to everyone. Here's hoping for the best Marie, if you didn't already know there is two spots available for Newfoundland this year and five applicants were interviewed. Three of whom were third years. This is the extent of my intel.
Yes good luck everyone! I am at a cottage so someone is checking my mail for me, let me know when you get your letters so I can freak out! My interview was unfortunately not the best but at least soon I will know either way.
Best of luck to everyone. Here's hoping for the best Marie, if you didn't already know there is two spots available for Newfoundland this year and five applicants were interviewed. Three of whom were third years. This is the extent of my intel.
Yes, I did know there were only 2 seats this year. Though I heard there were 6-8 NL applicants interviewed this year. Better chances if it was actually 5! haha
Best of luck!!
Does anyone know if they usually contact references or is it just a formality they ignore?
I've applied twice before and to the best of my knowledge none of my references were contacted and I know some people who got in who dosnt have their references called. Although maybe they only contact your references if they are on the fence about admitting you.Does anyone know if they usually contact references or is it just a formality they ignore?
From what I've been told (I hear about it a lot since I go to UPEI), is they typically interview twice as many applicants as they have seats. Could be different since we only have three seats at max versus other provinces with 12+. It's a shame Newfoundland doesn't fund more seats. They actually added more international seats this year (which they had to renovate in order to accommodate the extra students) because UPEI needed the money.Yes, I did know there were only 2 seats this year. Though I heard there were 6-8 NL applicants interviewed this year. Better chances if it was actually 5! haha
Best of luck!!
I've applied twice before and to the best of my knowledge none of my references were contacted and I know some people who got in who dosnt have their references called. Although maybe they only contact your references if they are on the fence about admitting you.
This is good to know, thank you! That was my tip off that things were actually happening but I guess not. Hopefully qe hear sooner rather than later!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same!! Im an applicant from PEI. do you know any others?PEI applicant here who is having the worst sleeps of her life! Best of luck to everyone in the coming weeks!!!
From what I've been told (I hear about it a lot since I go to UPEI), is they typically interview twice as many applicants as they have seats. Could be different since we only have three seats at max versus other provinces with 12+. It's a shame Newfoundland doesn't fund more seats. They actually added more international seats this year (which they had to renovate in order to accommodate the extra students) because UPEI needed the money.
I've also heard that they generally offer twice as many interviews as seats. But this year the applicant pool from NL was very competitive resulting in more interviews being awarded.
From what I know, all the Atlantic provinces (especially NL) were offered those new seats and they refused them which is why they ended up being international seats instead. It's really a shame that we don't have more seats.
Same!! Im an applicant from PEI. do you know any others?
No, I don't know of any others!
No NS applicants waiting to hear? 9 days out!
This last week(ish) feels longer than the rest of the wait combined!
I feel the same way. It is basically all I think about all day. 🙁
Hopefully the letters will go out this week! Wishful thinking probably but it helps lol
Yes! It's driving me crazy especially because I can't check my mail until the weekend🙁This last week(ish) feels longer than the rest of the wait combined!
This wait is awful! I just want to know either way. I work at the Vet College and I haven't heard any word of letters yet. I'll keep you posted if I do!
That would be amazing! Ya i feel the same way, it will just be good to be able to plan for next year either way.This wait is awful! I just want to know either way. I work at the Vet College and I haven't heard any word of letters yet. I'll keep you posted if I do!
Too bad they can't just hand you your letter!This wait is awful! I just want to know either way. I work at the Vet College and I haven't heard any word of letters yet. I'll keep you posted if I do!
Has anyone been nagging Jack about when letters are going to be sent recently? Just seeing if anyone has anymore info before I send him an email; I'm sure he's been getting many!
Not me!Has anyone been nagging Jack about when letters are going to be sent recently? Just seeing if anyone has anymore info before I send him an email; I'm sure he's been getting many!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jack said that we will be notified by mail only. Letters were sent out yesterday! The dash for the mailbox begins! Good luck!
Jack said that we will be notified by mail only. Letters were sent out yesterday! The dash for the mailbox begins! Good luck!
And now the real stress and anxiety kicks in. Good luck everyone!!!!
Good news here too! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!
Seconded. Specifically mastiff friendly apartments? Lol because Im an idiot and I have a giant dogAnyone have any leads on pet friendly apartments? haha
You'll be invited to the class Facebook page at some point soon where there will be a ton of housing posts. Most places seem to be pet-friendly since they know there's a high chance they'll be renting to vet students.
Thanks, redhead. I've been added to the group but there isn't much on there yet. I'm just anxious and would like to secure something sooner rather than later. 🙂
You could always check Kijiji, but I found that most places didn't post rentals until usually the month before they wanted to rent. I'd offer you info for my old place but I think I heard they'd rented it already. You can also try posting in the FB group, but I imagine the advice will be the same - just be patient 🙂
Hey everyone! Is anyone else going to be missing the first few hours of orientation of the morning of August 26th? I don't officially arrive on the island until 11 that morning and will be rushing over to the university as soon as I land! Hopefully I don't miss too many exciting things 😱 When I bought my ticket, I had no idea we also had orientation the day of our blue coat ceremony! And also, does anyone know if that is our only day of orientation? I hope everyone's summer is going great!! 😀
From what I gather, the morning is just some intro speeches. That's how it seems from the guide posted in the Facebook group anyways! So I can't imagine that being a little late would matter. I would probably contact someone and let them know so they don't become concerned when you don't check-in in the morning.
I think we have other orientation activities the following week after classes. I don't recall where I got this information haha but it is sticking out in my head. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it is very possible I dreamt this.
I'm so excited to get there!! My summer has been spent working and doing physio since I'm recovering from an ACL injury. Not very exciting but it involves little stress and no studying 😀 I have my horses at home so I'm enjoying all the pony cuddles. I have most of August off so I'm hoping to get a few fun things planned in there.
I think we have other orientation activities the following week after classes. I don't recall where I got this information haha but it is sticking out in my head. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it is very possible I dreamt this.
I'm so excited to get there!! My summer has been spent working and doing physio since I'm recovering from an ACL injury. Not very exciting but it involves little stress and no studying 😀 I have my horses at home so I'm enjoying all the pony cuddles. I have most of August off so I'm hoping to get a few fun things planned in there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I gather, the morning is just some intro speeches. That's how it seems from the guide posted in the Facebook group anyways! So I can't imagine that being a little late would matter. I would probably contact someone and let them know so they don't become concerned when you don't check-in in the morning.
I think we have other orientation activities the following week after classes. I don't recall where I got this information haha but it is sticking out in my head. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it is very possible I dreamt this.
I'm so excited to get there!! My summer has been spent working and doing physio since I'm recovering from an ACL injury. Not very exciting but it involves little stress and no studying 😀 I have my horses at home so I'm enjoying all the pony cuddles. I have most of August off so I'm hoping to get a few fun things planned in there.
Oh awesome! Okay it doesn't sound like I'll be missing too much than
I hope your recovery from surgery is going well! I know how difficult that particular injury is to recover from thanks to all the wrestlers I know haha. But it sounds like you're getting plenty of love from all your horsies which should make recovery that much better 😍 It's soooo nice to really relax this summer and just take all this in! I myself am just spending as much time as I can with all my little furry ones that I won't be bringing to the island with me and interning at an awesome wildlife rescue!
I can't believe how close we are to actually starting our first year of vet school!!

I actually haven't even gotten surgery yet
Ortho wouldn't see me until I regained full range of motion so it's likely not going to be until next summer, if I end up needing it still by then.
Your summer sounds like it's going great! I can only imagine how amazing the wildlife rescue is!!
I can't wait to start!!! Not that I want to wish any time away but I still can't believe it's actually happening sometimes! There are still many mornings I wake up and think that my acceptance letter was just a dream and I actually didn't get one.
Ortho wouldn't see me until I regained full range of motion so it's likely not going to be until next summer, if I end up needing it still by then.Your summer sounds like it's going great! I can only imagine how amazing the wildlife rescue is!!
I can't wait to start!!! Not that I want to wish any time away but I still can't believe it's actually happening sometimes! There are still many mornings I wake up and think that my acceptance letter was just a dream and I actually didn't get one.
I actually haven't even gotten surgery yetOrtho wouldn't see me until I regained full range of motion so it's likely not going to be until next summer, if I end up needing it still by then.
Your summer sounds like it's going great! I can only imagine how amazing the wildlife rescue is!!
I can't wait to start!!! Not that I want to wish any time away but I still can't believe it's actually happening sometimes! There are still many mornings I wake up and think that my acceptance letter was just a dream and I actually didn't get one.
Awe! haha! I totally know what you mean! It's so wonderful that this is actually happening
And it's crazy how quick it's coming up!! I really need to turn in my rabies vaccination paperwork and actually submit my blue coat ceremony stuff!! I'm the worst procrastinator 😱I also need to purchase some clothes that are winter appropriate for the island... haha. Any suggestions on what might be some crucial wardrobe pieces? Living out here in California has really stunted my winter awareness... 😀
I swear by my Sorels for winter boots.. Any suggestions on what might be some crucial wardrobe pieces? Living out here in California has really stunted my winter awareness... 😀
I also need to purchase some clothes that are winter appropriate for the island... haha. Any suggestions on what might be some crucial wardrobe pieces? Living out here in California has really stunted my winter awareness... 😀
Layers! I'd get some thin long underwear-type stuff, hoodies/pull overs/fleeces, a WARM jacket with a hood (style is not the important part of your decision), mittens, scarf and hat that covers your ears (again, forget about stylishness). Lots of warm socks.
