Average Student But Over-applied, need help with cancelations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superhero16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, need some advice. I applied to too many schools and need to cancel a few. I am from Texas but have no preference on region. Like the title says, I'm an average student. I am focused on doing GI. What do you think? I appreciate the advice. There's no one at my home school whom I can really talk to. Which are in the absolutely do NOT cut list and which are relatively the same program and thus can pick based on other factors like city? Thanks!

Georgetown
Washington University STL
UTSW
Mayo MN
San Antonio
Cedars Sinai
Mayo AZ
Baylor Houston
Cleveland Clinic
USC
UArizona
New Mexico
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
UFlorida
USF
UMass
Indiana
Mount Auburn
Case Western
Methodist Houston
Columbia
Kaiser SanFran
UCSF Fresno
Austin SW
Baylor Dallas
A&M
Rush
Texas Tech

Howard

Members don't see this ad.

Based on those interviews, you are a better than average student. Considering you are interested in GI (highly competitive subspecialty), these are the interviews I would definitely go to...

-Wash U
-UTSW
-Columbia
-Mayo MN

...and these are the programs I either don't know anything about, or probably aren't worth your time...

-Baylor Dallas (they actually have a good GI fellowship, so if you want to have a very easy IM residency and stay in Dallas for fellowship then go)
-San Antonio
-Mount Auburn
-Case Western
-Rush (decent program, but you could do better)
-Methodist Houston
-Austin SW (community program with very loose connection to UTSW)
-UFlorida (have not heard good things)
-USF

The remainder of programs are pretty random. Assuming you go to around 10 interviews, I would pick the 6 that seem the most appealing to you.

Hey everyone, need some advice. I applied to too many schools and need to cancel a few. I am from Texas but have no preference on region. Like the title says, I'm an average student. I am focused on doing GI. What do you think? I appreciate the advice. There's no one at my home school whom I can really talk to. Which are in the absolutely do NOT cut list and which are relatively the same program and thus can pick based on other factors like city? Thanks!

Georgetown
UTSW
Mayo MN
San Antonio
Cedars Sinai
Mayo AZ
Baylor Houston
Cleveland Clinic
USC
UArizona
New Mexico
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
UFlorida
USF
UMass
Indiana
Mount Auburn
Case Western
Methodist Houston
Columbia
Kaiser SanFran
UCSF Fresno
Austin SW
Baylor Dallas
A&M
Rush
Texas Tech

Howard

I am an MSIV going through the interview process. From the advice I have received from my DO school counseling/administration...if you are aiming to do a fellowship, aim for a solid university program preferably with in house fellowships.
So this may be a disadvantage to some of the programs you have listed above...like Methodist (only one GI fellowship from past 2 years http://www.methodisthealth.com/basic.cfm?id=39530) and UTSW Austin.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs you should definitely not cut (in the order they were on your list, not it any "rank" order):

Georgetown
UTSW
Mayo MN
San Antonio
Cedars Sinai
USC
UArizona
UMass
Indiana
Columbia

Take it or leave it:

Mayo AZ
Baylor Houston
Cleveland Clinic
New Mexico
UT Houston
Mayo Jax
UFlorida
USF
Mount Auburn
Case Western
Methodist Houston
Kaiser SanFran
UCSF Fresno
Austin SW
Baylor Dallas
A&M
Rush
Texas Tech
Howard

Depending on your stats or geographic preferences (you got an interview from Columbia so obviously you've got something good going on) pick 3-6 more from the lower list and cancel the rest. Personally (and you should know that I'd rather pull out all of my fingernails with white hot pliers than live in either TX or FL), I'd choose Rush, CCF, UT-H and...I'm out.

I would cut our Howard for sure, and maybe Kaiser SF. Not sure which other ones I would cut but you got some good ones there if you want to do GI.

Thanks everyone! Its been difficult not having an advisor for these things. I appreciate your help.