• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Average Student But Over-applied, need help with cancelations

superhero16

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2009
  1. Medical Student
    Hey everyone, need some advice. I applied to too many schools and need to cancel a few. I am from Texas but have no preference on region. Like the title says, I'm an average student. I am focused on doing GI. What do you think? I appreciate the advice. There's no one at my home school whom I can really talk to. Which are in the absolutely do NOT cut list and which are relatively the same program and thus can pick based on other factors like city? Thanks!

Georgetown
    Washington University STL
    UTSW
    Mayo MN
    San Antonio
    Cedars Sinai
    Mayo AZ
    Baylor Houston
    Cleveland Clinic
    USC
    UArizona
    New Mexico
    UT Houston
    Mayo Jax
    UFlorida
    USF
    UMass
    Indiana
    Mount Auburn
    Case Western
    Methodist Houston
    Columbia
    Kaiser SanFran
    UCSF Fresno
    Austin SW
    Baylor Dallas
    A&M
    Rush
    Texas Tech

Howard

KRichards62

Feb 5, 2010
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Based on those interviews, you are a better than average student. Considering you are interested in GI (highly competitive subspecialty), these are the interviews I would definitely go to...

-Wash U
      -UTSW
      -Columbia
      -Mayo MN

...and these are the programs I either don't know anything about, or probably aren't worth your time...

-Baylor Dallas (they actually have a good GI fellowship, so if you want to have a very easy IM residency and stay in Dallas for fellowship then go)
      -San Antonio
      -Mount Auburn
      -Case Western
      -Rush (decent program, but you could do better)
      -Methodist Houston
      -Austin SW (community program with very loose connection to UTSW)
      -UFlorida (have not heard good things)
      -USF

The remainder of programs are pretty random. Assuming you go to around 10 interviews, I would pick the 6 that seem the most appealing to you.

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
      10+ Year Member
      Jan 9, 2008
      AZ
      1. Medical Student
        Hey everyone, need some advice. I applied to too many schools and need to cancel a few. I am from Texas but have no preference on region. Like the title says, I'm an average student. I am focused on doing GI. What do you think? I appreciate the advice. There's no one at my home school whom I can really talk to. Which are in the absolutely do NOT cut list and which are relatively the same program and thus can pick based on other factors like city? Thanks!

Georgetown
        UTSW
        Mayo MN
        San Antonio
        Cedars Sinai
        Mayo AZ
        Baylor Houston
        Cleveland Clinic
        USC
        UArizona
        New Mexico
        UT Houston
        Mayo Jax
        UFlorida
        USF
        UMass
        Indiana
        Mount Auburn
        Case Western
        Methodist Houston
        Columbia
        Kaiser SanFran
        UCSF Fresno
        Austin SW
        Baylor Dallas
        A&M
        Rush
        Texas Tech

Howard

I am an MSIV going through the interview process. From the advice I have received from my DO school counseling/administration...if you are aiming to do a fellowship, aim for a solid university program preferably with in house fellowships.
        So this may be a disadvantage to some of the programs you have listed above...like Methodist (only one GI fellowship from past 2 years http://www.methodisthealth.com/basic.cfm?id=39530) and UTSW Austin.

Any thoughts?

About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
        Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
      • Mar 6, 2005
        1. Attending Physician
          Programs you should definitely not cut (in the order they were on your list, not it any "rank" order):

Georgetown
          UTSW
          Mayo MN
          San Antonio
          Cedars Sinai
          USC
          UArizona
          UMass
          Indiana
          Columbia

Take it or leave it:

Mayo AZ
          Baylor Houston
          Cleveland Clinic
          New Mexico
          UT Houston
          Mayo Jax
          UFlorida
          USF
          Mount Auburn
          Case Western
          Methodist Houston
          Kaiser SanFran
          UCSF Fresno
          Austin SW
          Baylor Dallas
          A&M
          Rush
          Texas Tech
          Howard

Depending on your stats or geographic preferences (you got an interview from Columbia so obviously you've got something good going on) pick 3-6 more from the lower list and cancel the rest. Personally (and you should know that I'd rather pull out all of my fingernails with white hot pliers than live in either TX or FL), I'd choose Rush, CCF, UT-H and...I'm out.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.