Averaging GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanceQueen66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some schools average the repeated courses, I am trying to see what my GPA going to be. The issue here is i am retaking physics from CC, it is 5 credits and includes lab. The one i took in my bachelor's is 3(lecture)+1(lab). How does averaging works here? Can some one please explanin this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say you make an A (4.0) in physics at your CC (5 credits) and you previously had a C (2.0) in your previous physics in the lecture (3 credits) and a B (3.0) in lab (1 credit).

To average all of this, you would do [ (4 x 5) + (2 x 3) + (3 x 1) ]/ (5+3+1) = 3.22

When grades are averaged, to calculate your GPA, you just multiply the number associated with the letter grade (A=4, B=3, etc..) with the number of credits and you divide by the total number of credits. Most of the time it would be the same as just adding the two grades and dividing by two, but since the physics you're retaking is actually worth more credits then the one you previously took, if you make a really good grade, it'll actually help you because this grade will count more than the other one when averaged.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's say you make an A (4.0) in physics at your CC (5 credits) and you previously had a C (2.0) in your previous physics in the lecture (3 credits) and a B (3.0) in lab (1 credit).

To average all of this, you would do [ (4 x 5) + (2 x 3) + (3 x 1) ]/ (5+3+1) = 3.22

When grades are averaged, to calculate your GPA, you just multiply the number associated with the letter grade (A=4, B=3, etc..) with the number of credits and you divide by the total number of credits. Most of the time it would be the same as just adding the two grades and dividing by two, but since the physics you're retaking is actually worth more credits then the one you previously took, if you make a really good grade, it'll actually help you because this grade will count more than the other one when averaged.[/QUOTEThans

Thanks for reply. Then what credit hours are for this course, it is 5 credit or 4 credits? I averaged all my repeated classes, but some are like this like 3+1 from my undergrad and 5 at CC. when i use gpacalculator.net, what do i enter as 4 0r 5? Hope my question is clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I understood your question... are you asking how many credits your physics class is?

Thanks for reply. Then what credit hours are for this course, it is 5 credit or 4 credits? I averaged all my repeated classes, but some are like this like 3+1 from my undergrad and 5 at CC. when i use gpacalculator.net, what do i enter as 4 0r 5? Hope my question is clear.
You don't average them, you put them as they appear on your transcript, PTCAS does the math

Reactions: 1 user