Avid Reader, First Time Poster Seeking GRE-Retake ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M DeLeone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate your help DEARLY on whether or not I should retake my GREs. My heart is telling me I should just because I know there's no way I can do any worse BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY my bank account is crying out for me to live with whatever my fate will be without the retake.

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.6 (estimated)

GRE: Ver 142, Quan 148, Writing 3.0 (probably unheard of) :(

Observation/Work Hours:
800+ as an Inpatient Physical Therapy Aide at a Rehab Hospital,
350 as a Rehab Tech at an Outpatient Clinic
20 at a VA Hospital ICU as an intern
80 at various Out Patient clinics as a volunteer

Recommendations: 4 total (2 from professors, one from a PT/Employer, one from a PT)

Extra Curr:
-President/Co-Founder of a nonprofit (since senior year of undergrad) dealing with sending medical supplies overseas to underserved hospitals in Africa
-Peer advisor at my university
-Anatomy Preceptor/Teacher Assistant (one-semester long)
-Headed Public Relations of an African Student Org (one year)
-Mentored community children (one-summer long)

Applied to: GWU (#1), VCU (alma mater), ODU, Shenandoah, USF (offers DPT/MPH!), Temple, Drexel, Univ of Penn, Univ of MD-Balt, Hampton

(I'd also like to add Columbia and Emory but not sure if spending that $ would be worth it considering my poor GRE scores.
The total to retake and resend my GRE scores would be approximately $360-$400 MORE)

Thank you soooooo much for taking the time to actually read through this and respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say definitely retake them, like you said you probably can't do much worse since you know yourself better than anybody does. That $400ish will be pocket change compared to what you'll be paying for your DPT anyway. My advice is shoot at a combined 300 on the GRE and try and get your AW to at least a 4.0.

JD

Members don't see this ad :)
go with your heart - retake the exam.

You have good stats in everything other than the GRE. If possible, retake it again in 3 months when you're better prepared. Just trying it again and hoping you get luckier is not a good strategy.

The money situation is painful for all of us, between paying for the GRE, paying for application fees. It's just something we all have to do though. All I can say is that you won't regret any of it when you get an acceptance letter.

retake it or apply to the schools that don't require it or don't look it at but still require it. If you are stuck on not changing then you have to retake it.