Avoid Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where exactly is “here”?

Anywhere desirable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s hard to believe that I’ve been a pharmacist for almost 10 years. I still remember logging in here when I was a pre-pharm student, then pharmacy student and then as a pharmacist. It was gloom and doom even back then. Seems like nothing has changed.

I’ve been very lucky with my career. I get to work from home and OT is being offered daily but I don’t do them anymore. And I live in one of the most populated cities.

I think 10 years is enough for me to know that I hate pharmacy. So you know what I’ve been doing the past few years? Working my ass off after work daily for my online side business so I can get out of pharmacy.

If you want to switch career, don’t try to be a PA. Go be an engineer. All my engineering friends make more than me and their work is not as stressful.

I have nothing useful to add to this thread except pharmacy sucked then, it sucks now, and will continue to suck lol

Reactions: 10 users
Thank you for putting this post up guys.
I want you to stop people from going into Pharmacy ASAP!
Increase my salary and demand!
Thank You!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so true. A buddy of mine applied to about 55 job listings In about a 2 months span and heard back from none. His uncle is best friends with a CVS DL, he gave the DL a call and he had an interview 2 days later. Got offered for a PT floater position and that’s the best they can do right now. They told him
He has to work his way up and prove himself. At this point you’re only getting a chance if you have a big connection or if you’re interning for a company (and that’s only if they like you and you bust your ass). Who knows it might be better down the line if the pharmacy field takes on new roles and gets reimbursed, but for now keep hoping for the best. What a sad time to be educated
New grads getting a floater position in the chains seem to be standard now. Everyone I know from my graduating class who are working Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS are floaters right now. I just an interview at CVS last week and the DM told me yeah, right now they are giving new grads floater positions and if they prove themselves worthy of a FT store, then they get it when an opening is there.

55 job listing seems pretty low but might be location. For me, I did probably 60 applications over the course of a month and a week, 2 of which got me interviews and just got hired at an independent today. I'm pretty sure I'm not even considered for a more than half ofem because they mostly add the 1 year minimum experience preferred but I applied anyways. With that said, job market in NYC is terrible. Within an hour and 20~ minutes commute for me, I only say a total of like 15~ positions posted that were definitely taking in new grads also.

He only applied to 55 jobs in 2 months? That's less than one application per day. He doesn't deserve a job for that minimal effort. If you're unemployed, then it's your job to apply to jobs. He should have applied to at least 10 per day everyday.

It sounds like he was probably only looking in one geographical area. 55 sounds good, how many pharmacies do you think there are? Applying to a chain, is applying to all of the chains stores. Often one can apply to a hospital system to apply to all the associated hospitals in the system. These aren't the days where every pharmacy and hospital are stand-alone and one has to walk in and individually apply.

Reactions: 2 users
He only applied to 55 jobs in 2 months? That's less than one application per day. He doesn't deserve a job for that minimal effort. If you're unemployed, then it's your job to apply to jobs. He should have applied to at least 10 per day everyday.
With all due respect, you cannot apply more than the number of job openings available.
I honestly think 55 applications in 2 months is more than decent effort unless you have 50 licenses all over the U.S.

Reactions: 1 users
Not the mention this is the time when other new grads are licensed so grad interns in companies are taking the pharmacist spots. Around here, unless I go to another state, Walgreens has not posted a new pharmacist job in a month now, CVS only had 1 floater and 1 pharmacist position open up in the last 2~ weeks and Rite Aid 1 floater, and 2 pharmacist positions in the last 3 weeks if I'm going by a maximum travel distance of 1.5 hours.

Only thing I have had available to me to apply for were the occasional per diem or temp. positions in hospitals, supervising positions in independents and the occasional independents that don't post online and have hiring posted outside the store. I've seen a few of those and they *usually* are looking for bilingual applicants because they are located in neighborhoods where the dominant language isn't English.

Not the mention this is the time when other new grads are licensed so grad interns in companies are taking the pharmacist spots. Around here, unless I go to another state, Walgreens has not posted a new pharmacist job in a month now, CVS only had 1 floater and 1 pharmacist position open up in the last 2~ weeks and Rite Aid 1 floater, and 2 pharmacist positions in the last 3 weeks if I'm going by a maximum travel distance of 1.5 hours.

Only thing I have had available to me to apply for were the occasional per diem or temp. positions in hospitals, supervising positions in independents and the occasional independents that don't post online and have hiring posted outside the store. I've seen a few of those and they *usually* are looking for bilingual applicants because they are located in neighborhoods where the dominant language isn't English.
Learn Spanish

I learned very broken Cantonese from watching a lot of television shows but apparently that was enough to get hired
I was being sarcastic. It’s not that easy to up n learn something when ur not surrounded by it. Keep trying don’t give up, winners never quit

With all due respect, you cannot apply more than the number of job openings available.
I honestly think 55 applications in 2 months is more than decent effort unless you have 50 licenses all over the U.S.

I'm sure there are more than 55 jobs listed per state.

I was being sarcastic. It’s not that easy to up n learn something when ur not surrounded by it. Keep trying don’t give up, winners never quit
It's sarcasm but learning a 2nd language will actually land you a job much easier even if it is just beginner proficiency spoken. I've seen quite a few listings looking for those who can speak Spanish, Mandarin or Cantonese. When I did my interview yesterday, the guy just asked me if I knew enough Cantonese to tell a patient how to take medications. I said yes and he was like, yeah that is good enough and proceeded to regular interview questions.

Possibly.
When I used different sites to apply for jobs, most of them seemed like recurring automated posts which are not true opened positions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Heads up for anyone considering pharmacy school, think twice. I graduated one year ago and I am still looking for a full time position. It is a disaster out here. DO NOT LISTEN to anyone that says you will find jobs because you are going to be screwed taking pay cuts and joining a corporation with high turnover rates. Do your research before there is currently 0% job outlook from now until 2028

So now, here's the real question: What would you say "now" to the you-of-then to stop you from attending pharmacy school? Do you wish you worked in a pharmacy beforehand? Or had work experience before jumping to fast-six-figure salary? Im curious what you'd say to the current pre-pharm population

So now, here's the real question: What would you say "now" to the you-of-then to stop you from attending pharmacy school? Do you wish you worked in a pharmacy beforehand? Or had work experience before jumping to fast-six-figure salary? Im curious what you'd say to the current pre-pharm population

I would say exactly that.

I would say exactly that.

Then why didn't it work? I agree most pre-pharms and students that never step into a pharmacy when they had ample time to do so is near the bottom of intelligence. Ignoring the comments from different sides of the country that seem to correlate to a lot of regions is also naïve. What is it though that will actually keep the majority from blindly going forward to a potential financial set back?

I don't have an answer other than when I got out of school the first time some years back I made a plan to be debt free. Looking at my loans balloon stressed me out. Joining the service, saving money, and returning with housing and tuition covered made a difference in my studies and what little time with my family.

It's hard to know what it is without experiencing it. I think that's why I stress to others to work in a pharmacy for a year with the big chains and see from a payroll point of view of what is going on to see for themselves. I want to see many others back out and shut down these schools just trying to figure out a realistic view of the "hows" and "whys"

Yes 55 openings within 45 minute driving distance from their home. I’m sure there may have been more if they wanted to relocate or driver further in the state

If someone were to me all this in this past, my biggest worry and concern would be, I don’t know what profession to go into. It can’t be med school because my grades weren’t good enough. So I understand for some pharmacy may be only option at a second chance since they’re accepting students so easily now. It has nothing to do with experience or job description, the issue is with the job outlook. It’s very hard to find a job now so my advice would be to either switch professions to PA, NP or something else in healthcare or get to know as much pharmacists and managers as you can in your area. Build your name, engage in meetings, activities, etc and make networking your #1 priority. I go into work with the mentality that I have to work harder than the day before because now we can be easily replaced for someone if the DMs get sick of us. BUT if someone had told me about getting a computer science degree or something like that and how they can me 6 figures easily with a bachelors... I wouldn’t be in this mess.

Yes 55 openings within 45 minute driving distance from their home. I’m sure there may have been more if they wanted to relocate or driver further in the state

If they're only searching within a 45min driving radius then they have nothing to complain about.

BUT if someone had told me about getting a computer science degree or something like that and how they can me 6 figures easily with a bachelors... I wouldn’t be in this mess.

Where were you 4-5 years ago when I started telling everyone go study computer science?!

In this job market, I agree but still 45min is way too long of a commute each way.

My commute was twice that when I found a new job. I sold my house and rented for a year before buying a new house closer to the new job. You do what you gotta do.

do you think optometry is better
Optometry is probably the one healthcare profession that’s worse than pharmacy. They get the worst return on their investment. $200,000 student loan debt with a salary of $60,000 per year. New optometry schools are popping up like new pharmacy schools. So much for the growing job market.

Can you imagine being an optometrist at Walmart? What do they even do all day?

Optometry is probably the one healthcare profession that’s worse than pharmacy. They get the worst return on their investment. $200,000 student loan debt with a salary of $60,000 per year. New optometry schools are popping up like new pharmacy schools. So much for the growing job market.
Optometrists make quite a bit more than that and there are very few schools.

Anywhere desirable.
Not true. I got a job offer near a desirable area and turned it down. Job offer was for inpatient hospital in the $60s per hour. I interviewed a few weeks ago.

If someone were to me all this in this past, my biggest worry and concern would be, I don’t know what profession to go into. It can’t be med school because my grades weren’t good enough. So I understand for some pharmacy may be only option at a second chance since they’re accepting students so easily now. It has nothing to do with experience or job description, the issue is with the job outlook. It’s very hard to find a job now so my advice would be to either switch professions to PA, NP or something else in healthcare or get to know as much pharmacists and managers as you can in your area. Build your name, engage in meetings, activities, etc and make networking your #1 priority. I go into work with the mentality that I have to work harder than the day before because now we can be easily replaced for someone if the DMs get sick of us. BUT if someone had told me about getting a computer science degree or something like that and how they can me 6 figures easily with a bachelors... I wouldn’t be in this mess.
There are ways to boost your gpa if med school was your first priority, post Bach, or SMP for a year

How many docs would do their jobs if their pay was cut in half? How many pharmacists? MDs have one of the highest burnout rates in the industry at current pay scales. Coincidentally also the highest paid in the industry.

I am thinking the burn out rates come from external sources outside of work like living a lavish lifestyle when you have student loans to get rid off, which you could easily get rid off in 2 years.

Docs are getting sick of the models where the salary is guaranteed for a few years and then dropped by a great deal. Unfortunately, many have moved their families into the town and there are restrictive covenants.
How low is the pay cut? Salary drops 120,000 dollars per year? Well, bright side you will never be unemployed. A physician can always quit these high turnover rates and go somewhere else. And don’t blame having a family. That was a personal decision to have a family

Add dentists to that list. Those dinguses just want money.

Hmm... Sounds like someone is bitter. Put a smile on your face. If you need help with that, I know the right people who can help with it.

Reactions: 3 users
I graduate in 2021 and enjoy looking for landscaping positions/other trades that may actually have a job outlook in my free time......... Quit my Walgreens internship (I was a tech from 2016 and an intern during P2) and never looked back. I'm a much happier person now that I've realized I can do something outside of pharmacy.

I think by now we can all say its a safe assumption pharmacy is going down the drain. 2020 will bring new changes and probably be a real turning point for retail anyway. We will see the end of over-lap for almost ALL pharmacies unless you are doing MASSIVE volume 3000+. I know WM has store closures and transformations into distribution centers lined up.....automation is coming, everything that can be done virtual or digital will be implemented. ANYTHING to avoid paying these (now) high wages that we all have been enjoying....We are all being slowly and methodically pushed out by the corporation Through performance programs with extremely high metrics, reduction of help to the point you can barely hold on....etc. It's every company so you know something is up. The new buzzword for pharmacists is "EXIT STRATEGY" .... no different than the companies who are all trying to bail and get into the DOCTOR business with the clinics....it's become too difficult and a gamble to make your profits now... the 80's are over man....i would say we have a few years of this at best before a massive transformation happens....

I don't think Asian patients ,especially Viet and Chinese, care much about you pharmacists speaking their languages since just about every family has at least an unemployed pharmD sitting around at home to translate for them 24/7 lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think Asian patients ,especially Viet and Chinese, care much about you pharmacists speaking their languages since just about every family has at least an unemployed pharmD sitting around at home to translate for them 24/7 lol.
I do have many Viet/Indian/Korean classmates. Many of them work for retails now.

Everyone, this is the TRUTH. I just graduated last year from UHCOP. I was lucky to get a residency, but many of my friends are at home with their parents or significant others. Asking me and so many others for jobs.

Pharmacy is OVER saturated. It’s a good profession, but not anymore. Schools are pumping out kids like a pill mill.

Do NOT trust anyone that says jobs will be available. Maybe for retail, but do you really want to go through 4 years of school to be a seasoned cashier? Making about 70-80k starting? No.

Do medicine or something else. I regret this but I’m stuck with my decision.

Don't feel stuck - I left PIC for $14/hr non-pharmacy job and I am so much happier - poorer, but happier!

Possibly.
When I used different sites to apply for jobs, most of them seemed like recurring automated posts which are not true opened positions.
Some may actually be hiring all the time due to high turnover... I have heard that is the case with some insurance companies. Of course, the odds are they aren't hiring in your area or whatever at that particular moment...
So I understand for some pharmacy may be only option
Nothing is ever the ONLY option. Whenever people say "I had no choice" or "this was my only option" it just means that they for whatever reason(s) did not want to give serious consideration to any alternatives.

I graduated in 2017 and I can only think of a few people that didnt already have a job lined up prior to graduation. They were the ones that were so focused on school and nonsense clubs and didnt get actual jobs. I have never worked retail...straight to hospital

If you dare say pharmacy is your “only” option then I’ll tell you that being stuck with $200k+ in loans with few job opportunities is your “only” option.

Hmm... Sounds like someone is bitter. Put a smile on your face. If you need help with that, I know the right people who can help with it.
LOL. Aren't dentists just the guys that couldn't get into med school?

enjoy

• Haha
LOL. Aren't dentists just the guys that couldn't get into med school?

Average stats are about the same for students applying for either med school or dental school. Everyone has their own reasons for getting into whatever career they choose.

Your opinion of dentistry is cute though.

Higher GPA, higher percentile for average MCAT (~83%) vs DAT (~75-80%). MCAT is more difficult than DAT but MCAT doesn't have the PA section

of course more applicants for med school too so med school is more selective. This is true across the board for flagship public universities or "good" private schools with both allopathic medicine and dental programs, like UCSF, UCSD, UW, UM, etc.

Higher GPA, higher percentile for average MCAT (~83%) vs DAT (~75-80%). MCAT is more difficult than DAT but MCAT doesn't have the PA section

of course more applicants for med school too so med school is more selective. This is true across the board for flagship public universities or "good" private schools with both allopathic medicine and dental programs, like UCSF, UCSD, UW, UM, etc.
Stats are convincing, thanks for sharing. I highly doubt that some people choose dentistry because their stats are not competitive enough for a medical school. Dentists I know love what they do, have a good life work balance, and make decent money. On the contrary, some choose pharmacy if medicine and dentistry is out of reach.

Last edited:
Right. Someone applying to both dental and medical programs at the same time would have a difficult time explaining that choice.

Pharmacy school standards have declined dramatically