Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not data or technicalities to back this up but I will say this. People have been talking about CRNAs, Death of Anesthesia, etc. for 30 years. Anesthesia remains strong. Additionally there's pain fellowship, etc. unlike EM which is limited to lesser paying fellowships and admin positions.I’m sure many of you are probably aware of the **** show that emergency medicine has devolved into over the past decade, with the ACEP meeting on the EM workforce today indicating that there will be an estimated surplus of 9000 EM docs by 2030. This is of course attributed to a mixture of CMG takeovers, residency expansion, and increased reliance upon mid level providers. As recently as 2 or 3 years ago many people in emergency medicine continued to insist that the future was bright and that these employment concerns were massively overblown. At this point there is essentially irrefutable data showing that their field will suffer throughout the next decade. Clearly, a number of factors that made emergency medicine vulnerable to these changes are also present in anesthesiology. While I hope that the actions of those in EM leadership positions to mitigate this issue can be used as groundwork for what we will need to do in anesthesia to avoid the same fate, I was curious if anyone felt there were any changes that could be advocated for now in order to avoid a similar outcome.