Award Mechanisms during Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering back into the clinical portion of my combined MD/PhD training soon, and shortly thereafter will likely be entering into a Pathology residency. My question to the SDN community is, what NIH award mechanism is the best for me during the latter years of my residency training?

I envision working with the chair of the pathology department to add on two or so years towards the end of residency that would have limited clinical duties <25%, and primarily research time >75%. It would be after I've completed the majority of my path residency, and am thinking would make the residency a total of 5-6 years.

What I need to know are what the best NIH/other award mechanisms that will essentially provide materials resource finances as well as salary support during these latter years?

Members don't see this ad.

A number of path departments have funds set aside for this, and will guarantee funding for the right person (MD/PhD like yourself). Places that advertise this, and I'm sure there are others, are Stanford, MGH, I think Penn and WashU, probably Chicago, et al. In the case of MGH they have a T32 training grant that you can get on. Often they just ask that you submit a K08, but will support you whether or not it gets funded. You should be competitive for a K08 after a year or two of postdoc-ing.