Away Elective Advice

Started by onboard
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

onboard

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everybody, First of all I wanted to thank all you guys for doing a great job on this forum especially Dr. Doan. I know this topic has been covered at exhuastum but I was wondering what your thoughts were about away electives. Specifically when is it best to do them? How much experience should I have before I do them? How do I choose where to do them? Which programs are known to be exceptionally good at teaching, especially any programs which has plenty Didactics. I am not particularly looking for a big-wig program, or one with a high volume but for one which the faculty are unusually committed to teaching.
Really appreciate your help.
 
Come to Iowa. e-mail: [email protected] (medical student rotation coordinator).

Best time: Late Spring or Early Summer during the year you apply.

Purpose: Learn about the program and possibly get a supportive letter from faculty.

Preparation: Come with enthusiasm. Read about new cases you see in clinic. You should know how to do the basic exam, and split your differential into broad categories: infection, neoplasm, inflammation, congenital, trauma, vascular, and idiopathic (dump for I/we don't know - often nobody knows).

Iowa is great for teaching medical students with daily lectures from sub-specialties. Hiliary Beaver, MD runs the rotation, and it's top-notch. I'm currently working on a basic ophthalmology book with Dr. Beaver for students and primary care providers. She is awesome.

Where to look? Here: http://www.eyerounds.org/rotations.htm