Away rotation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedo

Reaction score
Any tips on scoring a sub-i at UoHawaii, Baylor CHOSA, LACUSC, UCSF Fresno or Loma Linda?

As someone just entering 3rd year without access to VSAS/VSLO (what is the difference?) yet, can anyone shed light on what programs are looking for when picking applicants for away rotations? Are there any secrets to improving chances at being given the opportunity to rotate at your dream program? Im assuming they use scores to filter. Are there exceptions for not meeting score cut offs? For programs that dont use scores, what do they tend to prioritize in determining whether to give an acceptance?

Generally, how difficult is it to get invited? I am a below average student and really need to understand what I'm up against. Should I be expecting to apply to multiple programs for a single month? Is this something I should be saving money for ahead of time?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any tips on scoring a sub-i at UoHawaii, Baylor CHOSA, LACUSC, UCSF Fresno or Loma Linda?

As someone just entering 3rd year without access to VSAS/VSLO (what is the difference?) yet, can anyone shed light on what programs are looking for when picking applicants for away rotations? Are there any secrets to improving chances at being given the opportunity to rotate at your dream program? Im assuming they use scores to filter. Are there exceptions for not meeting score cut offs? For programs that dont use scores, what do they tend to prioritize in determining whether to give an acceptance?

Generally, how difficult is it to get invited? I am a below average student and really need to understand what I'm up against. Should I be expecting to apply to multiple programs for a single month? Is this something I should be saving money for ahead of time?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!
What specialty?

Most MD institutions give aways based on first come first serve. And yes it’s a crap shoot and you’ll spend way more money than you should have to.

What specialty?

Most MD institutions give aways based on first come first serve. And yes it’s a crap shoot and you’ll spend way more money than you should have to.
Peds. So if its first come, first serve, are are there any documents I could be working on ahead of time to have ready by mid April? Again, I dont have access to VSAS, but Im assuming they require a CV, personal statement and transcript? Anything else?

(also, thanks for responding to my other question, too! youve been really helpful)

Peds. So if its first come, first serve, are are there any documents I could be working on ahead of time to have ready by mid April? Again, I dont have access to VSAS, but Im assuming they require a CV, personal statement and transcript? Anything else?

(also, thanks for responding to my other question, too! youve been really helpful)
Your school will upload a transcript. I never was asked for a personal statement. Mainly CV, scores, immunizations (which AAMC had a standard form you can use) and photo. Some programs occasionally ask for other things like proof of health insurance, drivers license, etc.

Sometimes you can find information for medical students seeking aways on their websites.

Also VSLO is VSAS. It had a name change recently

Reactions: 1 users