Away rotation = interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdChambers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an away at a program on the east coast during October/November. I received an email yesterday morning stating that they would not be extending me a formal interview invite but that my four weeks there would count as my interview.

I can't decide what to make of this. I get that it opens up one more spot for a formal interview on their end so I don't blame them. I also can't help but feel like they're just blowing smoke up my ass and have already made up their mind I won't be considered for their program.

Anyone ever experienced something similar? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing an away at a program on the east coast during October/November. I received an email yesterday morning stating that they would not be extending me a formal interview invite but that my four weeks there would count as my interview.

I can't decide what to make of this. I get that it opens up one more spot for a formal interview on their end so I don't blame them. I also can't help but feel like they're just blowing smoke up my ass and have already made up their mind I won't be considered for their program.

So you're going to be getting a month long interview. Yuck.

Never heard of this but it makes sense. Why would you need to go again after they just had you an entire month?

Make sure to schedule a meeting with the PD at the end of the month and tell them how much you loved their program and want to come.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you competitive for the program? If so I would just take them at their word.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder of their own students have to interview formally... Would be nice if they didnt.

Are you competitive for the program? If so I would just take them at their word.
Not really or at least my steps aren't. It's a mid tier program (where in that tier I don't know). Definitely doing an away here because it's a reach and at a location I'd love to be.

You should always treat away rotations as a four-week interview. The good news is that during a normal interview all the residents are basically trying to guess if you're a hard worker, and now you have the opportunity to let them know for sure. Learn how to set up rooms early in the rotation. Once you know how do do a few things, show up 15 minutes before the residents do and set up as much as you can for them. Keep helping out before, after and during each case through the day. It works really well.

Reactions: 4 users
youd be amazed at how much doing that gives you a heads up.

we had 2 aways for comprasion: one did the above, the other while he was nice never did, but would try to go into big cases to "help."

he ended up just getting in the way and pissing residents off. when feedback was asked, this guy was told by faculty none of us liked him and found him extremely annoying, while the other guy was ranked very high (he matched).

yes you we want smart people, but you dont want someone that is percieved to be annoying or have bad behavior. theyre cancers and drag everyone down.

I recently did an away rotation and had a formal interview. The PD told me they don't interview everyone who rotates with them. The PD went on to say I did very well during the rotation and received a lot of positive feedback.

My impression of all away rotations is that they carry far more weight than a formal interview.

PDs want hard working low maintenance people. Step scores are second to that. Work hard, make sure your fellow residents like you and they will go to bat for you. I think if you do all this you should be fine. At my institution, when an away student does well we always let the PD know and they receive a bump rank list-wise come match time.

I've never heard of a program doing this, but I think your best bet is to take the program at their word. If you think they're blowing smoke and you treat the month as such, then you've only done yourself a disservice.

As others have said, programs want hard working people who work well with the team, who will go out of their way to help out the colleagues and take care of the patients. They do not want whiners, egotists, or toxic personalities.

youd be amazed at how much doing that gives you a heads up.

we had 2 aways for comprasion: one did the above, the other while he was nice never did, but would try to go into big cases to "help."

he ended up just getting in the way and pissing residents off. when feedback was asked, this guy was told by faculty none of us liked him and found him extremely annoying, while the other guy was ranked very high (he matched).

yes you we want smart people, but you dont want someone that is percieved to be annoying or have bad behavior. theyre cancers and drag everyone down.
Just to clarify, the former candidate (who followed Chip's advice) is the better candidate, correct?

Just to clarify, the former candidate (who followed Chip's advice) is the better candidate, correct?

if youre being annoying to your resident, like getting in our way, or doing the opposite of what we said, it gets passed up the chain.

just be a normal human being that is pleasant and not a douche. if we teach you something you already know, listen again and be pleasant.

The untold secret, OP, is that your entire (professional) life will be a neverending interview.

Reactions: 1 users