Away rotation = interview?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by EdChambers, Oct 7, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. EdChambers

EdChambers

Sep 19, 2017
    I'm doing an away at a program on the east coast during October/November. I received an email yesterday morning stating that they would not be extending me a formal interview invite but that my four weeks there would count as my interview.

I can't decide what to make of this. I get that it opens up one more spot for a formal interview on their end so I don't blame them. I also can't help but feel like they're just blowing smoke up my ass and have already made up their mind I won't be considered for their program.

Anyone ever experienced something similar? TIA

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ZzzPlz

ZzzPlz ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2010
    So you're going to be getting a month long interview. Yuck.

Never heard of this but it makes sense. Why would you need to go again after they just had you an entire month?

Make sure to schedule a meeting with the PD at the end of the month and tell them how much you loved their program and want to come.

OldGregg, nimbus and wysdoc like this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Are you competitive for the program? If so I would just take them at their word.

NeuroSpeed likes this.
  5. Guillemot

Guillemot 5+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I wonder of their own students have to interview formally... Would be nice if they didnt.

nimbus likes this.
  6. EdChambers

EdChambers

Sep 19, 2017
    Not really or at least my steps aren't. It's a mid tier program (where in that tier I don't know). Definitely doing an away here because it's a reach and at a location I'd love to be.

7. Chip N Sawbones

Chip N Sawbones Ship's Carpenter 5+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Below sea level
    You should always treat away rotations as a four-week interview. The good news is that during a normal interview all the residents are basically trying to guess if you're a hard worker, and now you have the opportunity to let them know for sure. Learn how to set up rooms early in the rotation. Once you know how do do a few things, show up 15 minutes before the residents do and set up as much as you can for them. Keep helping out before, after and during each case through the day. It works really well.

FFP and dchz like this.
  8. jthedestroyr

jthedestroyr ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2013
    South
    youd be amazed at how much doing that gives you a heads up.

we had 2 aways for comprasion: one did the above, the other while he was nice never did, but would try to go into big cases to "help."

he ended up just getting in the way and pissing residents off. when feedback was asked, this guy was told by faculty none of us liked him and found him extremely annoying, while the other guy was ranked very high (he matched).

yes you we want smart people, but you dont want someone that is percieved to be annoying or have bad behavior. theyre cancers and drag everyone down.

9. Precedexed Out

Precedexed Out Banned Banned Account on Hold

Aug 27, 2017
    I recently did an away rotation and had a formal interview. The PD told me they don't interview everyone who rotates with them. The PD went on to say I did very well during the rotation and received a lot of positive feedback.

My impression of all away rotations is that they carry far more weight than a formal interview.