Away rotation LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wind0angel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I'm wondering if not getting a LOR from an Aways is a red flag for IM? I will be in an SubI away rotation in aug/sept. I think I have an above average application for IM so I don't technically need this away. I thought it would be a good experience but now I'm not sure if it is worth it because I've heard from a couple of friends from similar situations that has been hurt by doing an away. I was wondering what you guys thought of the situation :)

Thank you!

-W

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I'm wondering if not getting a LOR from an Aways is a red flag for IM? I will be in an SubI away rotation in aug/sept. I think I have an above average application for IM so I don't technically need this away. I thought it would be a good experience but now I'm not sure if it is worth it because I've heard from a couple of friends from similar situations that has been hurt by doing an away. I was wondering what you guys thought of the situation :)

Thank you!

-W
It's not as huge of a red flag to not get a LOR from an away for IM as it is for some other specialties.

And this is why you shouldn't do away rotations, especially a SubI, unless there's a really good reason to do so.

Hopefully you'll be able to gauge your performance (and just so we're clear, you do this by asking your attending(s) to sit down with you at least once a week during the rotation and rate your performance and how you can improve) to decide if getting the LOR is worth it.

I did an away rotation and got an LOR from one. It helped. My two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
What constitutes a good reason to do a Sub-i?
Too dumb to realize it's a bad idea.

I can't think of any others.

I meant a good reason to do an away in general. Of which I suppose there are a few. There are absolutely no good reasons to do an away SubI unless you're interested in tanking your chances at that program AND getting a crappy LOR.

I meant a good reason to do an away in general. Of which I suppose there are a few. There are absolutely no good reasons to do an away SubI unless you're interested in tanking your chances at that program AND getting a crappy LOR.
:/

I should probably also addend my earlier comment - my away rotation was as an elective from which I got a letter. I would also not recommend doing a sub-I

What is your opinion on doing an away rotation for one of the subspecialties and getting a LOR from the attending? With the main objective to hopefully matriculate at that IM program.

Apologies in advance in case I misunderstood the original post about aways for an IM residency applicant and this question was answered (i.e. don't do aways period if applying for IM). I'm an incoming first year, just trying to learn more about how this all works. Thanks.

[...]
And this is why you shouldn't do away rotations, especially a SubI, unless there's a really good reason to do so. [...]
What constitutes a good reason to do a Sub-i?
What if an applicant is from california, born/raised, went to college and med school in california, but was legitimately interested in residency on the east coast? Would it benefit the applicant to do an away rotation on the east coast to show that s/he is open to the idea of moving/willing to move across the country and not just applying to an east coast residency to make sure s/he matches somewhere?