Away rotation strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgitsang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year applying for peds next year, trying to figure out if its worth doing an away rotation. My Step I score isn't great (20x), preclinical grades are straight passes, clinical grades are mostly passes with a high pass in peds and honors in research, several research abstracts/posters/publications but all in a different specialty I didn't end up liking. I go to school in the midwest, would like to possibly go back home to the west coast but I'd be happy just to match at this point. I've heard conflicting opinions on doing an away in my situation. Some say its worth it and I can maybe impress a program, possibly finagling an interview, others say its a waste and could backfire. Just looking for opinions/suggestions. If I do an away, do I do it at a "reach" or a "good fit" program? Will I even get accepted for an away with my Step score? Is there a list of programs that are known to interview rotators?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It all depends on the type of person you are. If you adapt to new places fast and can make a great impression from the very beginning, then go ahead. If you are quiet like me then I don't think it's worth it. I was in your position 4 years ago and I did not do any away rotations. My Step scores were 203, 209 and I still got 5 interviews in California.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a third year applying for peds next year, trying to figure out if its worth doing an away rotation. My Step I score isn't great (20x), preclinical grades are straight passes, clinical grades are mostly passes with a high pass in peds and honors in research. I go to school in the midwest, would like to possibly go back home to the west coast but I'd be happy just to match at this point. I've heard conflicting opinions on doing an away in my situation. Some say its worth it and I can maybe impress a program, possibly finagling an interview, others say its a waste and could backfire. Just looking for opinions/suggestions. If I do an away, do I do it at a "reach" or a "good fit" program? Will I even get accepted for an away with my Step score? Is there a list of programs that are known to interview rotators?

I'm wondering the same thing, so I hope it's okay if I piggyback on your post?
I, too, have heard such conflicting things when it comes to pediatrics.

My school is recommending away rotations for everyone, regardless of specialty (which sounds dangerous to me, but I come from a DO school with a good reputation for matching ACGME).

Currently, my plan is to do just 1-2 "audition" rotations at reach schools. My two dream programs are reach programs, and I'm going to try and apply for away rotations at these. I am a very hard worker, I just worry about having that "one bad day" where I just so happen to meet an important person and they're not seeing me at my best.

I took both COMLEX and USMLE (did well on both, but much happier with my USMLE (245+).
I honored in peds and 1 other rotation, but that's it.
Top 20% of my class with SSP membership (DO equivalent of AOA).
No formal research or publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m at one of the competitive California programs. I think that aways are dangerous. Most med students hurt themselves more than help. You’re in a tough spot because if you’re getting mostly passes then you’re likely going to have a tough time impressing people while you’re also learning a new system. Maybe risk one away at a not very competitive West Coast Peds program, but not more than that.

Apply broadly and don’t put all your eggs in the West Coast Peds basket. Your goal should be to match anywhere, not to match on the West Coast.

For medical students, away rotations can be valuable, and in pediatrics, they are low risk.

Think about it this way, in some very competitive specialties they are practically a requirement - ortho for example places a tremendous degree of importance on them. Why, in the relatively less competitive world of pediatrics, would they be a no-go, other than that pediatricians are probably more risk averse?

The thing is, away rotations are only going to impact your chances at ONE INSTITUTION. No one is going to look at your transcript, see you did an away at Stanford and offer you an interview they wouldn't have otherwise. Maybe, just maybe, you nail it and get an LOR from a notable faculty member, which boosts your application to a marginal effect. Would it be enough to overcome your step scores to similarly competitive programs? Probably not. And similarly, if you flame out and screw the pooch, that effect is limited to just that one institution.

There are other options that can further limit the impact, like doing an away in a subspecialty rotation where the expectations for students are even lower - PICU, NICU, or cardiology, or even something more niche like Rheum. Use the time there to ingratiate yourself to the residents so that they like you and are on your side, but where your lack of systems awareness or medical knowledge can be overlooked to a greater extent.

In the end, given the number of programs in CA, doing 2 months there probably isn't going to make or break your match chances to any measurable degree in the larger scheme of things. For individual programs, for sure, but not on whole.

Personally, I think away rotations are very expensive for something that isn't even guaranteed to help you, so I would only do it if you had a really good reason to have your heart set on one specific program.

If you're going to do it, I would do it at a less competitive program that interviews some applicants with lower step scores where a strong performance might actually get your foot in the door. In general, I think most programs will automatically invite someone that does an away rotation with them as a courtesy (I've heard of exceptions, but they ARE the exception), but even if you were a rockstar, it's unlikely you would impress so much that one of the extremely competitive programs would seriously consider ranking you to match.

My story was similar (20x), research blah blah, and I got way more interviews than I needed and matched my #1 without doing any aways. (Granted, didn't want to go to CA.) As others above have stated, aways are not necessary for Peds. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user