This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peds2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hiya! I am starting year 4, going into ped's, and have 2 away rotations booked for Aug and Sept. I also have the option of going to Mexico for a month in April. The idea would be to become more fluent in Spanish - however, I can save a lot of money ($2500) and take classes locally. I am curious if anyone has input on the importance of the international trip, as it happens after the match. I have and international experience already on my application, which I did as an MS2. The only kicker is that if I do another one during MS4, I would complete a Scholarly Concentration.

In sum:
Is a Scholarly Concentration very useful in applying to pediatric residencies?
Is a trip abroad after match going to help me on my application?
 
I took a trip to South America for a pediatric rotation during my 3rd year and it was the absolutely best experience of medical school. I would highly recommend it. It was such a different experience than the week-long medical trip I had done after 1st year. Come April, doing a peds elective won't help with your application anyway, so I say go for the experience! Since it'd be after Match, you can mention it during interviews, but it probably won't help much either. There's not really a place to put a future rotation on your ERAS app. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or if I can help anything