Away rotations at UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacemanspiff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone do 4th year away rotations at UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford? If so was it a worthwhile experience and did it help you in getting an interview?
If anyone else did an away rotation in California, please share your experiences

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Cloverfield monster is on its way to the west coast. Didn't you hear?

cloverfield-monster-picture.jpg

-copro

Yes, yes, and yes.

Did anyone do 4th year away rotations at UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford? If so was it a worthwhile experience and did it help you in getting an interview?
If anyone else did an away rotation in California, please share your experiences

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
In general I think all programs give you at least a courtesy interview if you do a rotation there, except possibly UCSF I have heard.

I've heard that doing an away at UCLA and Stanford really helps. I don't know anything about UCSD though.

Can anyone comment on their specific experiences on doing an away at UCLA, UCSD, or Stanford?

I am considering an away at all of these programs and would love to hear from personal experiences.

Thanks!

I did an away at UCLA and I got an interview, but they don't give courtesy interviews just because you rotate. In general, I thought the rotation gave me a great sense of what the program was all about. The residents expect and are expected to work hard, but they're rewarded with top notch training. You have the opportunity to work with the PD and assistant PD in the OR. If you're the type to shine on your clinical rotations, I think UCLA is a great place to do one.

What do you guys think about away rotation but not in anesthesia? my reasoning is I'm gonna be doing anesthesia at my home institution and I want to enjoy my 4th year by taking as many different electives as I can before commiting the rest of my life to anesthesia. I'm thinking of doing away elective like emergency ultrasound or ICU...so not necessarily in anesthesia but somewhat related.