away rotations--too late to benefit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The geographical focus of my residency search has shifted because my wife just landed a job for next year in NYC. Unfortunately, I never set up any away rotations there. Do you think it's worth trying to set one up for January or December? Could I still get an "automatic interview invite" or is that process over? I really don't want to go through the hassle of traveling across the country, finding a place to live for the month, etc. if there's no real benefit.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

It could still help. Find a place that you think you'd like to go... and one that you have a good shot at... and set up a rotation for Dec preferably, although Jan isn't too late either. But being that it's so late make sure you are doing these interviews at places that r not way out of your league... it's more likely to work in your favor if you're a relatively good match to the place to begin with and then you just get yourself in there and make them love you enough to want you. Most places will still invite interested/visiting students doing away rotations until pretty late cuz don't forget... the later it gets the more poeple cancel... and how convenient for you to be there at that time.

Hope you get what you need. Come on out and visit us NYers.

Good Luck!
~Bean

Thanks for the advice, Bean! I'll think about it...

wlig