away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowinter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI Guys,

what are some good places to do away rotations? Where have you had positive experiences in past? or places that you are glad you went to -- b/c then you intereviewd there , and got in , etc. ? ?

THANKS
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I don't see them either. Oh well, I'll have to post them again.

Andy, I just tried posting again and the system did not save it. Could you check it out...

i did rotations at 3 places:

UCLA
USC
UC Davis

When I was at UCLA, I did my rotation at Jules Stein. You don't get to do a whole lot, but it was a good place to start because I learned how to check accuities, use the slit lamp and examine an eye with the resident. Plus Dr. Arnold is very nice and a good teacher.

I did my rotation at USC the following month and spent half my time at Doheny and half my time at the county hospital clinic. This was an awesome experience because I got to interact with a lot of faculty at Doheny and got to see patients on my own and present them to the resident/fellow when I was at the county. By the end, I knew how to applinate, felt comfortable with simple refractions, learned how to use the indirect ophthalmoscope and the 90 lens. I also learned a lot when I took call with the residents. This is an amazing place to do a rotation if you learn by doing. There is no end to what the residents will teach you or let you do if you work hard and are enthused. I was excited that I matched here.

The following month, I did a rotation at UC Davis. This is an awesome program, and one of the best kept secrets on the West Coast. The residents, fellows and faculty are outstanding (Mannis, Schwab and Keltner are big names!) and I would have been very happy had I matched here. I got to do a lot here, not as much as at USC because you are working in the attendings private clinics, but very well worth it!

rubensan said:
i did rotations at 3 places:

UCLA
USC
UC Davis

When I was at UCLA, I did my rotation at Jules Stein. You don't get to do a whole lot, but it was a good place to start because I learned how to check accuities, use the slit lamp and examine an eye with the resident. Plus Dr. Arnold is very nice and a good teacher.

I did my rotation at USC the following month and spent half my time at Doheny and half my time at the county hospital clinic. This was an awesome experience because I got to interact with a lot of faculty at Doheny and got to see patients on my own and present them to the resident/fellow when I was at the county. By the end, I knew how to applinate, felt comfortable with simple refractions, learned how to use the indirect ophthalmoscope and the 90 lens. I also learned a lot when I took call with the residents. This is an amazing place to do a rotation if you learn by doing. There is no end to what the residents will teach you or let you do if you work hard and are enthused. I was excited that I matched here.

The following month, I did a rotation at UC Davis. This is an awesome program, and one of the best kept secrets on the West Coast. The residents, fellows and faculty are outstanding (Mannis, Schwab and Keltner are big names!) and I would have been very happy had I matched here. I got to do a lot here, not as much as at USC because you are working in the attendings private clinics, but very well worth it!

Hey there! Please add your comments to the database.

Also, I'm disappointed you didn't decide to come to Iowa, but I can't blame you because Southern Cal is beautiful! ;)

regarding the database,

is there a way to see all the entries? I clicked by state-- 50 times and only came across about maybe 10 entries... ( i could have skipped some states by accident) .. so I was wondering while the database is still small -- is it possible to do a "see all" feature.

thanks for the direction .. and for all of you who left comments in the database!

Thanks Dr. Doan! I was not worthy enough to come to Iowa! :laugh:

I posted the above reviews on the uiowa site. I made a mistake, i foregot to check that USC "is" a student friendly program, and by trying to correct this, i posted 2 reviews. do you think you could delete the one that says that USC is "not a student friendly program" before i hear about it from Ron Smith or Steve Ryan? In all honesty, to those who are interested, i think USC is a student friendly program, i would be happy to talk about this more if anyone is interested.

Ruben

snowinter said:
regarding the database,

is there a way to see all the entries? I clicked by state-- 50 times and only came across about maybe 10 entries... ( i could have skipped some states by accident) .. so I was wondering while the database is still small -- is it possible to do a "see all" feature.

thanks for the direction .. and for all of you who left comments in the database!

There's a link on the first page that allows you to "search entire database".

rubensan said:
Thanks Dr. Doan! I was not worthy enough to come to Iowa! :laugh:

I posted the above reviews on the uiowa site. I made a mistake, i foregot to check that USC "is" a student friendly program, and by trying to correct this, i posted 2 reviews. do you think you could delete the one that says that USC is "not a student friendly program" before i hear about it from Ron Smith or Steve Ryan? In all honesty, to those who are interested, i think USC is a student friendly program, i would be happy to talk about this more if anyone is interested.

Ruben

Done! ;)