Away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently MS3 who is very interested in perusing a career in ophtho. I understand that it is VERY competitive so here are my questions:

I am an average student as I did very average on step 1. I honored my ophtho rotation at my home institution and I am planning on doing research in optho over the summer. Do you think I should do an away rotation in an institution that is very competitive/prestigious or should I do one at a place where I have a better chance of matching? Also, do you think I should take step2 early? What is better, getting 2 away rotations in ophtho and subsequent good LORs or a good step2 to offset my step 1? Anything other advice is welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

if you were to study for step II the same way you studied for step I statistics suggest that you will achieve a similar score. take step II early only if you have NEW game plan and feel that your new study strategy will improve your score. competitiveness/prestige aside, do a rotation at the institution that you really want to go to. there are many factors that go into the match that are beyond your control. regardless of where you do your rotation(s), work hard, try to get a strong LOR and get your research off the ground and aim for puclication/ARVO abstract. the good news is that most people that apply for ophthalmology residency match into an ophthalmology residency. Good luck!

I am currently MS3 who is very interested in perusing a career in ophtho. I understand that it is VERY competitive so here are my questions:

I am an average student as I did very average on step 1. I honored my ophtho rotation at my home institution and I am planning on doing research in optho over the summer. Do you think I should do an away rotation in an institution that is very competitive/prestigious or should I do one at a place where I have a better chance of matching? Also, do you think I should take step2 early? What is better, getting 2 away rotations in ophtho and subsequent good LORs or a good step2 to offset my step 1? Anything other advice is welcomed!

With all due respect to Ruben, I think that most people who study with the same intensity for Step II as they did for Step I will find that their score should increase by at least 5-10 points. I think the reasons for this may be due to the curve of the exam and that Step II involves more clinical reasoning, rather than recollection of obscure facts (ie, you can reason out the answers to some questions even if you don't completely remember the answer).

I sort of speak from personal experience in that I had an average Step I score, studied just as hard for Step II in July of my 4th year, and ended up improving by 17 points. This resulted in a successful match to my top ophthalmology residency program. However, the NEW game plan that Ruben speaks of may have been my dedication to work my tail off to prepare for my shelf exams during 3rd year...this made my Step II studying more of a review than learning things for the first time.

My advice about away rotations would be to go where you think you want to be and where you think you will learn Ophthalmology. Because you honored your rotation at your home institution, you should also do well whether you do an away at a top 10 program or a small community program. Doing the away at the top 10 program will give you face time with the chairperson, program director, and residents which may be invaluable as compared to if they were just to see your "average" scores on paper come interview time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all the feedback. Do you think August is too late for a rotation in ophtho given the early match? Also, I don't know if I am totally set on ophtho to tell you the truth. Would doing a medicine away rotation as well be a problem? Say I decide to specialize in medicine, would the PD ask me why I did 2 ophtho electives?? Would this be held against me?

August should be okay if the person writing the letter of recommendation send it in ASAP. The problem is if your experience is not positive, you're putting a lot of faith into an August rotation. It's better to do the rotation early in the year.

Doing a medicine rotation is okay. Don't worry about this too much.

It depends on where you are going to medical school. If you come from a place with a prestigious program, then you do not need an away rotation. You need to focus getting good some good letters.

If you are at a place with a not very well known ophtho program, then yes, you should do an away rotation and focus on getting a LOR from someone well known.

Basically, a good letter from someone well recognized will help you the most.

You can check out my website- it answers a lot of your questions.

www.dralbertlin.com